Re: Enzymes

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 44 , Oct 23, 2007
      Hey Sven, Thanks again.

      This is the Dangest thing I've ever seen - the Mash is now down to
      1.010 and still has about 1 inch of foam on top (this is after 5
      days). Usually after about 3 days with a 16% potential wash it dies
      down and just small bubbles - but im still stirring it 2 times a day
      and its still crackln.

      So just for chits and giggles, I added another pound of sugar today
      to see just how far we can take these Lalvin EC 1118 yeasties.

      Tasted it today and it really tastes like a nice dry corn wine lol.
      Still not clear but going strong.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim

      Ps. Im downloading that free trial version of the ProMash software
      and see what they going to say as far as potential abv.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...>
      wrote:

      > If you sparged the corn and only used the liquid, and got 100% eff
      > you would end up with 1.131 OG according to ProMash.
      >
      > However, if you kept the corn in your wash, then you actually
      have
      > less than 7.5 gallons of liquid as the solids displace some. I
      > suspect this is what is throwing off your measured vs calculated
      OG.

      > What will be interestsing is your FG when it finishes fermenting.
      It
      > could be anywhere from 0.998 (or so if the beano completely
      converted
      > all the starch from the corn) up to 1.027 if the beano did nothing.
      >
      > Sven
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Okeys, at 4:00 PM I added 13 Lbs of white cane and 4 Lbs of dark
      > > Brown sugar (has about 40% molasses for nutrient), 5 Tbs acid
      blend,
      > > 5 Tbs yeast nutrient, 1 liter of dark tea for tannin and 3
      liters
      > of
      > > Lalvin EC 1118 in some sour mash.
      > >
      > > This brought the mash up to 30 liters which should a been about
      > > 1.100 SG but after checking its up to 1.140 so the beano added
      > about
      > > 40 points to the mash so far.
      > >
      > > Vino es Veritas,
      > > Jim
      > >

      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
      <jamesonbeam1@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Yup as a matter of fact I have 4 lbs of flaked corn and 1
      pound
      > of
      > > > corn meal i cooked up last night and let cool - then added 6
      tabs
      > > of
      > > > Beano. This morning its sort of foaming and tasting very
      sweet
      > > with
      > > > no sugar or yeast. Going to let it sit for another few hours
      > > before
      > > > i put the sugar and yeast in - let you know how it turns out.
      > > > Jim.
      > > >
      > ...snip...

    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 23, 2007