Re: Bread Mash (msg 4060)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2002
      See:
      http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/

      meCh5.html
      Chapter 5 deals with Mash recipes.
      See also:
      http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_manual
      Chapters 7 and 10 deal with starch material.

      I collected over a period 7kg of left-over bread. Dried it to make
      sure it did not go mouldy, and just treated it like a milled and
      cooked grain. You have the option of adding 10% malt to convert the
      starch to sugars or using amylase enzymes. Yield is apparently about
      60% sugar from the starch in the bread.
      I used 1 kg bread/5 litres of water. (1 lb - 2 lb/gal seems the norm)
      Method:
      Crush bread (gelatines easier)
      Raise temperature of water to 75C ( I used a 60 litre HDPE open-top
      plastic drum with 2/1500W jug elements screwed in)
      Add crushed bread
      Wait for temperature to drop to 65C
      Add malt or amylase enzymes (I used enzymes)
      Hold at 65C for at least 1 hour.
      Cool to 24C (overnight)
      Add yeast (You could first strain off the sugar rich liquid for a
      clean wash)

      Wal