Re: [Distillers] Re: Hello

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
      --- his_last_montreux <his_last_montreux@...> wrote:

      > The mini-still, okay, that sounds good. I was aware of the fact that I
      > couldn't separate tails and heads with the Amazing still, I thought
      > that half a dozen passes through a Brita system would aid me there. So
      > is there a limit for the yeast like there is for sugar? Or could I
      > theoretically dump 10 times as much as I needed and have a better
      > ferment without worry?

      Within reason...yes it will ferment just fine. However, it depends on what
      yeast you're using. Baking yeast doesn't flocculate well, so it will take a
      long time for it to settle out after the fermentation is complete...relatively
      speaking. Sometimes, if you have too much yeast in your wash when you run it
      through the still, that yeasty flavor is carried over into the finished product
      similar to the flavors from whisky or rum or brandy is carried over from their
      respective washes.

      In my early days of sugar washes, I'd get very impatient between fermenting and
      distilling and run my washes way too soon. The initial feedback from most was
      that it tasted "yeasty." There's a lot of discussion about using fining agents
      for clarifying the wash prior to distilling. Many people will distill the
      whole thing, grain, sludge, yeast and all. My personal take on it is to let
      time allow the yeast and sediment to fall out naturally, siphon off the
      clear-ish wash to run, and toss in more sugar/water/molasses mix in with the
      sediment of the previous run. I've run up to 7 successive batches on one dose
      of yeast...do aerate well between batches and watch your pH.

      I generally do 5 gallon washes, so if I start one bucket, I wait a week and
      start a second bucket fermenting. This sets me up where I can run one a week
      alternately. Two weeks should be plenty of time for fermenting and clarifying
      that's adequate for what we're doing. You can, of course, fine tune it to your
      recipes and conditions. Meanwhile, check your washes daily, taste and sniff to
      make sure your fermentations are doing their thing.

      Trid
      -come to think of it, I need some more neutral spirits for future "experiments"
    • joe giffen
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
        Hi ,
        First ,you should  not be on distillers,but on new distillers,second you should study distilling from the various sites available to you, and I am not sure I understand what you are talking
        about. We are here to help anyone who wants to make safe and potable drink, using either pot or reflux stills. Our language is english,but I am sure we  would try to help anyone.
        Joe

        his_last_montreux <his_last_montreux@...> wrote:
        The mini-still, okay, that sounds good. I was aware of the fact that I
        couldn't separate tails and heads with the Amazing still, I thought
        that half a dozen passes through a Brita system would aid me there. So
        is there a limit for the yeast like there is for sugar? Or could I
        theoretically dump 10 times as much as I needed and have a better
        ferment without worry?

        Thanks for the advice, guys.

        -Erich

        --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, Trid <triddlywinks@ ...> wrote:

        > --- his_last_montreux <his_last_montreux@ ...> wrote:
        > > Saw this super simple mash on Tony Ackland's site -
        >
        > For starters, you can't find a better and more comprehensive source for
        > information than Tony's site...kudos for that...keep reading and
        re-reading it.

        > > "One of my favorite recipes is simple: in a 5-gal (20L) bucket throw
        > > in 10-12 pounds (5kg) of white sugar, pour 2 1/2gal. (10L) of near
        > > boiling water in and stir well. then mix 2 gal. (8L) of your favorite
        > > fruit juice. I've found that the more exotic the fruit the better
        > > flavor you get. toss a good sized handful of yeast on top, stir well
        > > cover the bucket and leave in a warm place for 2 weeks.
        >
        > Not a bad start, but for simplicity's sake and price, replace the 2
        gallons of
        > fruit juice with 2 cups of unsulphured molasses (the darker the
        better) boiled
        > up in 2 gallons of water. The juice of one lemon will help invert
        the sugars
        > and add the necessary acidity to make the yeast happy. For these
        style washes,
        > I use a baby food jar (Gerber, to be specific) to measure out my
        yeast...I use
        > bulk red-star baking yeast (<$4.00 for a pound). It's a lot more
        than you
        > NEED, but the more yeast you use, the quicker and cleaner the
        fermentation.

        > > Siphon into
        > > your still and cook at 180 degrees F (82C) and collect the spirit. One
        > > way to tell when to stop is when the liquid will no longer burn a
        > > bright blue flame."
        >
        > Ignore the temperature specified, and distill until the top of the
        column (this
        > location is important) is around 96C/205F. Your output will be
        around 10-12%
        > abv at this point (this is your "stripping run").
        >
        > > So assuming this low quality mash is prepared exactly as described, my
        > > main question is whether the fruit juice is supposed to supply the
        > > nutrients the yeast needs, and if so, should more expensive or frozen
        > > canned juice be used?
        >
        > You can use either...but then, if you're going for simplicity and
        economy,
        > molasses will do the trick.
        >
        > Now, after you've done your stripping run, you now have "low wines."
        Here's
        > where you can ether re-run the low wines very slowly through a
        pot-still like
        > setup or through a reflux rig, depending on what you have assembled for
        > yourself. However, at this stage you're much better off if you have an
        > all-metal setup and no plastic...trust me, the extra time and
        expense acquiring
        > and assembling the rig will be well worth it. There's continuous
        debate over
        > the merits and hazards over aluminum, so use your own judgment on
        that call.
        > Just stay away from galvanized anything. Copper is your best friend
        and worth
        > every penny of its current exorbitant cost.
        >
        > The mini-still has established a really good reputation for
        bang-for-the- buck
        > quality, but I have no personal experience with it as I lean towards
        pot stills
        > and the products they yield.
        >
        > Happy stillin' and keep us posted how things turn out.
        >
        > Trid
        > -gearing back up for some sour-mash peated single malt

      • joe giffen
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
          What are you talking about?,the question you purport to answer is nonsense to anyone who knows about distilling.?.

          Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
          --- his_last_montreux <his_last_montreux@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > The mini-still, okay, that sounds good. I was aware of the fact that I
          > couldn't separate tails and heads with the Amazing still, I thought
          > that half a dozen passes through a Brita system would aid me there. So
          > is there a limit for the yeast like there is for sugar? Or could I
          > theoretically dump 10 times as much as I needed and have a better
          > ferment without worry?

          Within reason...yes it will ferment just fine. However, it depends on what
          yeast you're using. Baking yeast doesn't flocculate well, so it will take a
          long time for it to settle out after the fermentation is complete...relative ly
          speaking. Sometimes, if you have too much yeast in your wash when you run it
          through the still, that yeasty flavor is carried over into the finished product
          similar to the flavors from whisky or rum or brandy is carried over from their
          respective washes.

          In my early days of sugar washes, I'd get very impatient between fermenting and
          distilling and run my washes way too soon. The initial feedback from most was
          that it tasted "yeasty." There's a lot of discussion about using fining agents
          for clarifying the wash prior to distilling. Many people will distill the
          whole thing, grain, sludge, yeast and all. My personal take on it is to let
          time allow the yeast and sediment to fall out naturally, siphon off the
          clear-ish wash to run, and toss in more sugar/water/ molasses mix in with the
          sediment of the previous run. I've run up to 7 successive batches on one dose
          of yeast...do aerate well between batches and watch your pH.

          I generally do 5 gallon washes, so if I start one bucket, I wait a week and
          start a second bucket fermenting. This sets me up where I can run one a week
          alternately. Two weeks should be plenty of time for fermenting and clarifying
          that's adequate for what we're doing. You can, of course, fine tune it to your
          recipes and conditions. Meanwhile, check your washes daily, taste and sniff to
          make sure your fermentations are doing their thing.

          Trid
          -come to think of it, I need some more neutral spirits for future "experiments"

          Regards
          Joe

        • Trid
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
            --- joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

            > What are you talking about?,the question you purport to answer is nonsense to
            > anyone who knows about distilling.?.

            I understood it just fine and I both speak English and know (a thing or two)
            about distilling. While I overlook his statement towards the precept that
            filtering through a brita filter would substitute for proper cuts, I had no
            difficulty following the intent of his question...and if I did, I'm sure I'll
            be corrected.

            It does nobody any good to be so antagonistic and only serves to make you look
            more like a bully than a constructive contributor to the list.

            Lighten up, Joe.
            Trid
          • his_last_montreux
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007

              > --- joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:
              >
              > > What are you talking about?,the question you purport to answer is
              nonsense to
              > > anyone who knows about distilling.?.
              >
              > I understood it just fine and I both speak English and know (a thing
              or two)
              > about distilling. While I overlook his statement towards the
              precept that
              > filtering through a brita filter would substitute for proper cuts, I
              had no
              > difficulty following the intent of his question...and if I did, I'm
              sure I'll
              > be corrected.
              >
              > It does nobody any good to be so antagonistic and only serves to
              make you look
              > more like a bully than a constructive contributor to the list.
              >
              > Lighten up, Joe.
              > Trid

              Thanks Trid. Yes, I should be posing questions to the New Distillers
              group. It was really late when I first posted this, and I'm signed up
              for New Distillers but on my other Yahoo address, which I arranged,
              ironically, to avoid confusion between which one I was reading/posting
              on. I ask stupid questions because I'm overeager to learn. I know I'm
              nowhere near finished with the amount of reading I need to do online.
              New Distillers, I'm sure, will obviously be more lenient to such a
              newb. Hope I didn't ruin your life, Joe. =p
            • sonum norbu
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                or you can make a coil in bucket pot still for 2/3 of stuff all, and really learn about making cuts...AND...fine likker.

                blanik

                SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

                Powered by Outblaze
              • sonum norbu
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                  I very much doubt that you have ruined Joe's life but beware of being overeager and trying shortcuts. Distilling is a serious business and needs to be approached with a degree of caution, initially at least. I also had a great deal of difficulty following your post, but you haven't ruined my life either.

                  Read, read and re-read tony's book on http://homedistiller.org/

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                    --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

                    > I very much doubt that you have ruined Joe's life but beware of being
                    > overeager and trying shortcuts. Distilling is a serious business and needs
                    > to be approached with a degree of caution, initially at least. I also had a
                    > great deal of difficulty following your post, but you haven't ruined my life
                    > either.

                    I will admit that my start in the hobby consisted of everything I could think
                    of to make shortcuts. My failures at the hands of those shortcuts were every
                    bit as valuable as lessons as getting things right. There's a lot to be said
                    for the value of lessons learned "the hard way" as I did. Besides, provided you
                    survive, there are grandly amusing stories to be told about those failures.

                    Trid
                    -hey y'all, watch this...OW!!!
                  • sonum norbu
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                      YUP!!

                    • abbababbaccc
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                        Ahh, plastics and alcohol. A subject that has been strictly banned
                        in some discussion groups. Well, in here we believe in research and
                        technology and we can take a neutral view on the subject.

                        First of all, there are countless brands of plastics with different
                        chemical properties. Few of those have their uses in distillation
                        while the wast majority is not suited for our purposes - some may
                        even be dangerous or pose a threat to your health. So, it is
                        EXTREMELY important that you use only a brand of plastic that you
                        know will work under conditions you are exposing it to. Of course if
                        you are into experimenting do go ahead, just analyze results before
                        drinking the stuff.

                        Now as I said there are some plastics that are extremely usefull for
                        our purposes.

                        - The first of them is white PTFE (Teflon) tape. This can be used as
                        gasket material and few wraps of that around a leaking seam usually
                        fixes the leak. PTFE is also available in other forms and can be
                        used as a generic gasket material if you have machine tools to form
                        it.
                        - Then we have aquarium grade (non-toxic) RTV (room temperature
                        vulcanizing) silicone. That's another excellent gasket material that
                        you can mold or use as a glue, even inside the still and in the
                        vapor path. Just let it cure properly before exposing it to alcohol.

                        - The third useful material is polypropylene plastic that identified
                        by an arrow triangle with letters PP or number 5 in it. PP stands
                        the heat quite well and is inert to lower concentrations of alcohol
                        vapor. However, when in prolonged contact with high proof
                        ethanol/propanol vapors (tails in practice) some brands (there are
                        many brands of PP) have leached off softeners and deformed. The
                        usage I have found for PP in distillation is to use it as a boiler
                        material. PP buckets are widely sold as fermentation buckets and
                        provide excellent low cost boilers for our use. The only thing to
                        watch is to not distill high proof mashes in them. Even some
                        commercial still makers have used PP buckets as boilers for their
                        stills.

                        - Other plastics, there's at least Viton and few other higher cost
                        plastics that could be used as gasket materials. However, these are
                        not very common so I won't go into details with those.

                        So, to answer your actual question: Amazing still made from PP works
                        and it does not leach plastizisers unless they come from your
                        heater. It's a crude and inefficient design, although extremely easy
                        to operate and can be modified to become a decent pot still (bucket-
                        on-top-of-the-bucket design). For the money and trouble you will be
                        much better off by building a spirall still. Instructions for that
                        can be found here:
                        http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%
                        20Listings

                        Cheers, Riku

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "his_last_montreux"
                        <his_last_montreux@...> wrote:

                        > Hi, I'm new to this newsgroup and currently interested in the
                        easiest
                        > method of distillation - the "amazing" low-temp plastic bucket-
                        style
                        > still you've probably heard about, before I move on to learning
                        > greater things. I've read that plastic is slightly soluble in
                        alcohol
                        > and thus is not good for stills, making the product cloudy, though
                        I'm
                        > sure that the poor quality (plastic-leaching or no) of the aquarium
                        > heater still can be improved to something palatable with decent
                        > activated carbon filtering. If someone who's worked with this type
                        of
                        > "still" could give me some feedback, I'd appreciate it greatly. The
                        > following is what I think is a primitive working plan - please
                        give me
                        > some comments! -
                        >
                        > Mash (very crude):
                        >
                        > Saw this super simple mash on Tony Ackland's site -
                        >
                        > "One of my favorite recipes is simple: in a 5-gal (20L) bucket
                        throw
                        > in 10-12 pounds (5kg) of white sugar, pour 2 1/2gal. (10L) of near
                        > boiling water in and stir well. then mix 2 gal. (8L) of your
                        favorite
                        > fruit juice. I've found that the more exotic the fruit the better
                        > flavor you get. toss a good sized handful of yeast on top, stir
                        well
                        > cover the bucket and leave in a warm place for 2 weeks. Siphon into
                        > your still and cook at 180 degrees F (82C) and collect the spirit.
                        One
                        > way to tell when to stop is when the liquid will no longer burn a
                        > bright blue flame."
                        >
                        > So assuming this low quality mash is prepared exactly as
                        described, my
                        > main question is whether the fruit juice is supposed to supply the
                        > nutrients the yeast needs, and if so, should more expensive or
                        frozen
                        > canned juice be used?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Erich

                      • abbababbaccc
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                          This is actually a nice idea. Should you build the spiral still, you
                          can use compression fittings on the spiral part and twist those
                          spirals to use it as "worm in a bucket" type potstill as well.

                          Cheers, Riku

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...> wrote:

                          > or you can make a coil in bucket pot still for 2/3 of stuff all, and
                          really learn about making cuts...AND...fine likker.

                          > blanik

                        • Lloyd
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                            =p,
                                Don't give up. Hang in there. Pick out a still that you think you can make (or buy) and go from there. Don't worry about the first still. Make it cheap, that's OK. Of course, keep it safe. Use common sense by all means. It is the learning that is important. After your first still, you will quickly see ways to improve it. If you are a young person, chances are you will create several, perhaps many, stills. Each better than the last. That is what we all do. That is why there is no "ONE PERFECT STILL". We just keep on improving and improvising to get what we want or think that we need. Some folks re-work their existing still while others decide that a completely new, radical approach, is necessary. If you really try at this hobby you will succeed. If you can't make drinking whiskey with all of the resources available to you on this and Tony's site then you should crawl under a rock and hide because so many, including myself, have started exactly where you are now and have done it - and done it well. We are pulling for you and please ask any questions that you have. There are no stupid questions but there are plenty of stupid answers. All of us started exactly where you are now. It seems like a lot to learn but it is really very simple. You heat it up and you cool it down. You add yeast to a sugar water and you get alcohol. The rest is just 'fine tuning'. You will learn a lot very quickly here. So stay tuned. Everyone here is into 'tweaking' and experimentation. I say start small. Get some success behind you and grow from there. Someday you will be double pot stilling a pure corn whiskey but until then try a simple sugar wash with turbo yeast through a reflux column still. It is fool proof and you will get a good foundation. Again, size and quality are not important on your first still. Your second still will be MUCH better and so will your third and so on.  Check out eBay for deals on "moonshine stills" or "ethanol"  or other key words that might cross your mind and buy a cheapo until you decide to design and build your own still. The first step in doing something great is just doing something.

                            Lloyd

                            > > What are you talking about?,the question you purport to answer is
                            nonsense to
                            > > anyone who knows about distilling.? .
                            >
                            > I understood it just fine and I both speak English and know (a thing
                            or two)
                            > about distilling. While I overlook his statement towards the
                            precept that
                            > filtering through a brita filter would substitute for proper cuts, I
                            had no
                            > difficulty following the intent of his question...and if I did, I'm
                            sure I'll
                            > be corrected.
                            >
                            > It does nobody any good to be so antagonistic and only serves to
                            make you look
                            > more like a bully than a constructive contributor to the list.
                            >
                            > Lighten up, Joe.
                            > Trid

                            Thanks Trid. Yes, I should be posing questions to the New Distillers
                            group. It was really late when I first posted this, and I'm signed up
                            for New Distillers but on my other Yahoo address, which I arranged,
                            ironically, to avoid confusion between which one I was reading/posting
                            on. I ask stupid questions because I'm overeager to learn. I know I'm
                            nowhere near finished with the amount of reading I need to do online.
                            New Distillers, I'm sure, will obviously be more lenient to such a
                            newb. Hope I didn't ruin your life, Joe. =p

                          • Larry
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                              At 12:33 AM 10/09/2007, you wrote:
                              >RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) silicone.

                              So THAT'S what RTV means!!! I've wondered about that a few times. Thanks!
                            • bbornais
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 9, 2007
                                "Lloyd" <1@...> wrote:
                                >Check out eBay for deals on "moonshine stills"

                                Be cautious, however, when researching used stills. Avoid antique
                                stills, as they are most likely constructed with lead based solder.

                                Bryan.
                              • just me
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 9, 2007
                                  having made more than my share of mistakes(and still making them) the one thing i wish i had done from the beginning is to keep a journal on everything i had done. i mean even the slightest detail. i hope this helps you. and dont get discouraged the sight in the left eye usually returns in a day or two. i hope this has helped.
                                  > > I very much doubt that you have ruined Joe's life but beware of being
                                  > > overeager and trying shortcuts. Distilling is a serious business and needs
                                  > > to be approached with a degree of caution, initially at least. I also had a
                                  > > great deal of difficulty following your post, but you haven't ruined my life
                                  > > either.
                                  >
                                  > I will admit that my start in the hobby consisted of everything I could think
                                  > of to make shortcuts. My failures at the hands of those shortcuts were every
                                  > bit as valuable as lessons as getting things right. There's a lot to be said
                                  > for the value of lessons learned "the hard way" as I did. Besides,
                                  > provided you
                                  > survive, there are grandly amusing stories to be told about those failures.
                                  >
                                  > Trid
                                  > -hey y'all, watch this...OW!!!

                                  SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                                  http://www.angelfir e.com/fl2/ cloudbase/

                                  Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera. com

                                  Powered by Outblaze

                                • shinyhead13
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 16 6:26 PM
                                    New member here. I look forward to reading and learning from you folks. I have been doing this for a short time but have turned out some very nice stuff.
                                  • Zapata Vive
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 16 7:54 PM
                                      Nice to meet ya shiny.  What kind of stuff have you been making?  Neutral or flavored spirits?  I've only done flavors up to now, though my column has been asking me why for the last couple of years ;)