RE: [Distillers] Re: Get togethers

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 2, 2007
      --- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
      > Like a lot of us, I'd dearly love to have a tasting get-together, so I'm
      > corrupting some friends to achieve a local group of stillers. The social
      > taste-the-fractions/make-the-cut parties are great for objective evaluation
      > of a product, and just sippin' and musin'.

      Unfortunately, I don't have too many friends who would really "get" a little
      stillin' party ('cept one...and I sometimes still at his house). I need to
      work on that. However, as the skill improves, fewer people cringe when I
      present the "here, taste this" and even so far as to actively ask what's new/

      > A few months ago, in Portland, Oregon, there was some sort of distillers'
      > convention. At the time I thought it was strictly for commercial (legal)
      > practitioners, but some scuttlebutt makes me think that perhaps it included
      > lots of us bandit distillers. I think maybe I missed a good bet by not
      > attending.

      I often consider if this sort of social aspect might make it worth the $250 to
      get in with these guys: http://distilling.com/ But then, I'm the masochistic
      bastard who mused about going legit, too. [1]

      > I had no luck googling for the actual convention, but I found this really
      > interesting NY Times article about craft distilling in Oregon. More people I
      > need to meet.

      Looking through the roll call of ADI's 2007 conference, (
      http://distilling.com/attendees2007.html ) it appears that nearly 1/4 of the
      attendees aren't affiliated with a distillery or organization. When I was in
      Portland touring Rogue, our guide was David Cook (in attendance at the
      conference) and afterward, when I mentioned aspirations of my own, he
      recommended getting in with ADI. He also said that a noticeable number were
      (to paraphrase) guys in mid-life crises or retired and thought a distillery
      might be a fun project, having no clue what it entails. I also noticed that
      Ian Smiley was in attendance...to pick his brain might be worth the $250 alone
      :)

      Trid
      [1] Thank you Sir, may I have another?
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 4, 2007
        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: Get togethers

        >--- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
        >> Like a lot of us, I'd dearly love to have a tasting get-together, so I'm
        >> corrupting some friends to achieve a local group of stillers. The social
        >> taste-the-fractions/make-the-cut parties are great for objective evaluation
        >> of a product, and just sippin' and musin'.

        >Unfortunately, I don't have too many friends who would really "get" a little
        >stillin' party ('cept one...and I sometimes still at his house). I need to
        >work on that. However, as the skill improves, fewer people cringe when I
        >present the "here, taste this" and even so far as to actively ask what's new/

        I just got off the phone with my most recent corruptee (and I think there's
        one more in the pipeline) in the process of doing his second run (aside from
        tests) on his brand new 16-gallon potsill. He was beerstripping (but slowly)
        a turbo-sugar wash, and at 86C head temp (when our conversation ended),
        he says the product was sweet and smooth.

        ----snip----.

        >>Looking through the roll call of ADI's 2007 conference, (
        >>http://distilling.com/attendees2007.html ) it appears that nearly 1/4 of the
        >>attendees aren't affiliated with a distillery or organization. When I was in
        >>Portland touring Rogue, our guide was David Cook (in attendance at the
        >>conference) and afterward, when I mentioned aspirations of my own, he
        >>recommended getting in with ADI. He also said that a noticeable number were
        >>(to paraphrase) guys in mid-life crises or retired and thought a distillery
        >>might be a fun project, having no clue what it entails. I also noticed that
        >>Ian Smiley was in attendance...to pick his brain might be worth the $250 alone
        >>:)

        I agree about Smiley. My copy of his book is looking pretty used.

        I looked through that list, and was surprised to see not very many John Doe-
        looking names, or hotmail addresses. Go figure. If I went to the conference,
        I'd consider wearing Groucho glasses, with the fake nose and bushy eyebrows.
        I'd be kinda bashful around a group full of "targets of opportunity"

        >>Trid
        >>[1] Thank you Sir, may I have another?

        Zymurgy Bob
        A simple potstiller