Fiesta and Fun

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 2, 2007
      Hello, Mr. Baker,

      Please come to enjoy another aspect of Texas Home Town celebration on the
      Riverwalk and my favorite place to party, Market Square in San Antonio,
      Texas. Salutations in the Mi Tierra bar and the drinks are accompanied with
      great Mariachi music. We meet people from all over the world who are amazed
      at the friendly atmosphere and tequila selection.

      We call the promenade around the square and the April Fiesta the Sweet
      Victory of Flesh Parade but is better known as simply 'Fiesta'. The city
      fathers have proclaimed that you can walk around with alcoholic beverages in
      your hand within certain circumscribed areas making this an ideal place to
      sample the street vendor's fare. Another timely celebration is the Day of
      the Dead known in other parts of the world as Halloween. Complete with
      parades to the cemetery, the mystic usually ends at the bar and toasting our
      ancestors. Have fun and welcome home. (I recommend the tortilla soup.)

      Peggy

      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 4, 2007
        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: Get togethers

        >--- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
        >> Like a lot of us, I'd dearly love to have a tasting get-together, so I'm
        >> corrupting some friends to achieve a local group of stillers. The social
        >> taste-the-fractions/make-the-cut parties are great for objective evaluation
        >> of a product, and just sippin' and musin'.

        >Unfortunately, I don't have too many friends who would really "get" a little
        >stillin' party ('cept one...and I sometimes still at his house). I need to
        >work on that. However, as the skill improves, fewer people cringe when I
        >present the "here, taste this" and even so far as to actively ask what's new/

        I just got off the phone with my most recent corruptee (and I think there's
        one more in the pipeline) in the process of doing his second run (aside from
        tests) on his brand new 16-gallon potsill. He was beerstripping (but slowly)
        a turbo-sugar wash, and at 86C head temp (when our conversation ended),
        he says the product was sweet and smooth.

        ----snip----.

        >>Looking through the roll call of ADI's 2007 conference, (
        >>http://distilling.com/attendees2007.html ) it appears that nearly 1/4 of the
        >>attendees aren't affiliated with a distillery or organization. When I was in
        >>Portland touring Rogue, our guide was David Cook (in attendance at the
        >>conference) and afterward, when I mentioned aspirations of my own, he
        >>recommended getting in with ADI. He also said that a noticeable number were
        >>(to paraphrase) guys in mid-life crises or retired and thought a distillery
        >>might be a fun project, having no clue what it entails. I also noticed that
        >>Ian Smiley was in attendance...to pick his brain might be worth the $250 alone
        >>:)

        I agree about Smiley. My copy of his book is looking pretty used.

        I looked through that list, and was surprised to see not very many John Doe-
        looking names, or hotmail addresses. Go figure. If I went to the conference,
        I'd consider wearing Groucho glasses, with the fake nose and bushy eyebrows.
        I'd be kinda bashful around a group full of "targets of opportunity"

        >>Trid
        >>[1] Thank you Sir, may I have another?

        Zymurgy Bob
        A simple potstiller