Re: [Distillers] Re: Oak kegs

  • just me
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 1, 2007
      well my friend is from "the arm pit of Texas" but he is still the coolest guy you could hang with. and his wife (Yankee- she couldn't help it) is also. lol. Ps i got a email that there aren't many places(on this planet) that get that cold. at least in Celsius. well if you get down this way let me know. the fair is on and we could have a couple of corny dogs.
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 4, 2007
        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: Get togethers

        >--- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
        >> Like a lot of us, I'd dearly love to have a tasting get-together, so I'm
        >> corrupting some friends to achieve a local group of stillers. The social
        >> taste-the-fractions/make-the-cut parties are great for objective evaluation
        >> of a product, and just sippin' and musin'.

        >Unfortunately, I don't have too many friends who would really "get" a little
        >stillin' party ('cept one...and I sometimes still at his house). I need to
        >work on that. However, as the skill improves, fewer people cringe when I
        >present the "here, taste this" and even so far as to actively ask what's new/

        I just got off the phone with my most recent corruptee (and I think there's
        one more in the pipeline) in the process of doing his second run (aside from
        tests) on his brand new 16-gallon potsill. He was beerstripping (but slowly)
        a turbo-sugar wash, and at 86C head temp (when our conversation ended),
        he says the product was sweet and smooth.

        ----snip----.

        >>Looking through the roll call of ADI's 2007 conference, (
        >>http://distilling.com/attendees2007.html ) it appears that nearly 1/4 of the
        >>attendees aren't affiliated with a distillery or organization. When I was in
        >>Portland touring Rogue, our guide was David Cook (in attendance at the
        >>conference) and afterward, when I mentioned aspirations of my own, he
        >>recommended getting in with ADI. He also said that a noticeable number were
        >>(to paraphrase) guys in mid-life crises or retired and thought a distillery
        >>might be a fun project, having no clue what it entails. I also noticed that
        >>Ian Smiley was in attendance...to pick his brain might be worth the $250 alone
        >>:)

        I agree about Smiley. My copy of his book is looking pretty used.

        I looked through that list, and was surprised to see not very many John Doe-
        looking names, or hotmail addresses. Go figure. If I went to the conference,
        I'd consider wearing Groucho glasses, with the fake nose and bushy eyebrows.
        I'd be kinda bashful around a group full of "targets of opportunity"

        >>Trid
        >>[1] Thank you Sir, may I have another?

        Zymurgy Bob
        A simple potstiller