donating

  • joe giffen
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
      Hi Group,
      We have over 3000 members, and while we all want our group to remain voluntary and free, I would like to propose that members who can afford it all donate $5 to the group. The money to be used to affray Harry,s expenses for running this great forum at considerable cost to himself. Some of the money could be used to explore new technologies. I am thinking of alternative methods etc
      I am quite happy to donate a few kits that would enable one to make a fully working still if the recipient will supply the tube and the boiler. These could take the form of a lottery.
      I have not asked Harry about this and I hope he will forgive me if I have overstepped the mark. I was only thinking to repay the great education, not to mention the fun I have had since joining this group.
      Other members thoughts would be appreciated.

      Regards
      Joe

    • Trid
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
        --- joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

        > Hi Group,
        > We have over 3000 members, and while we all want our group to remain
        > voluntary and free, I would like to propose that members who can afford it
        > all donate $5 to the group. The money to be used to affray Harry,s expenses
        > for running this great forum at considerable cost to himself.

        But yahoo groups costs no money...simply time and effort. In that, we're all
        contributing...donating our time and input. However, contributing to Tony's
        effort and cost at homedistiller.org is an option. Even easier, there's the
        paypal link right on the front page for anyone choosing to be supportive.

        Trid
      • joe giffen
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
          Hi again Trid,
          While we all contribute, I don,t think that anyone contributes more than Harry. Like tony,s site it would be voluntary, also distillers does not have a paypal link. I,m sorry you consider $5 worth mentioning.

          Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
          --- joe giffen <joegiffen@yahoo. co.uk> wrote:

          > Hi Group,
          > We have over 3000 members, and while we all want our group to remain
          > voluntary and free, I would like to propose that members who can afford it
          > all donate $5 to the group. The money to be used to affray Harry,s expenses
          > for running this great forum at considerable cost to himself.

          But yahoo groups costs no money...simply time and effort. In that, we're all
          contributing. ..donating our time and input. However, contributing to Tony's
          effort and cost at homedistiller. org is an option. Even easier, there's the
          paypal link right on the front page for anyone choosing to be supportive.

          Trid

          Regards
          Joe

        • Sam
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
            Yahoo groups is a free service, there are no costs involved.  Just your time and if you don't want to give it don't get involved with it.  If you want to donate give it to the Cancer Society, or some other worthwhile cause, distilling sprits is fun and rewarding but it is not a cause.  In fact over the long haul it is a liability to the social structure and economy of our society.

            Sam

[...]

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • Trid
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
              --- joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

              > Hi again Trid,
              > While we all contribute, I don,t think that anyone contributes more than
              > Harry. Like tony,s site it would be voluntary, also distillers does not have
              > a paypal link. I,m sorry you consider $5 worth mentioning.
              >
              > Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
              > --- joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Group,
              > > We have over 3000 members, and while we all want our group to remain
              > > voluntary and free, I would like to propose that members who can afford it
              > > all donate $5 to the group. The money to be used to affray Harry,s expenses
              > > for running this great forum at considerable cost to himself.
              >
              > But yahoo groups costs no money...simply time and effort. In that, we're all
              > contributing...donating our time and input. However, contributing to Tony's
              > effort and cost at homedistiller.org is an option. Even easier, there's the
              > paypal link right on the front page for anyone choosing to be supportive.

              Read again...I did not say "distillers" had a paypal link...
              http://homedistiller.org does. Mea culpa for not including the " http:// "
              Nor did I give any indication that $5, or any amount, is or isn't worth
              consideration.

              Ease up, sport.
              Trid
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                > Hi Group,
                > We have over 3000 members, and while we all want our group to remain voluntary and free, I would like to propose that members who can afford it all donate $5 to the group. The money to be used to affray Harry,s expenses for running this great forum at considerable cost to himself. Some of the money could be used to explore new technologies. I am thinking of alternative methods etc
                > I am quite happy to donate a few kits that would enable one to make a fully working still if the recipient will supply the tube and the boiler. These could take the form of a lottery.
                > I have not asked Harry about this and I hope he will forgive me if I have overstepped the mark. I was only thinking to repay the great education, not to mention the fun I have had since joining this group.
                > Other members thoughts would be appreciated.
                >

                > Regards
                > Joe

                Hi Joe,

                Thank you, I appreciate the idea and the thoughts behind it.  However I only donate time and a little commonsense to these forums, just as most members do.  Monetary recompense is not necessary as Yahoo! is a free forum. My Alcohol Library   site webspace and its monthly bandwidth is also donated by a long-time member (big 'thank you' to Matt SF) so there's no need to worry on that score.

                If any donating is to be considered, I would rather that members donated their expertise to the newcomers, or perhaps give something to the organisations  fighting for educating young pregnant or soon-to-be-pregnant couples about Foetal Alcohol Syndrome .  As some of you know, that's a cause close to home for me.

              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
                  --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                  <big snip>
                  Foetal Alcohol Syndrome

                  <http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/FAS/Alcohol-and-Pregnancy-Dont.\
                  > htm> . As some of you know, that's a cause close to home for me.

                  <snip>

                  Harry,
                  I just had to make that link stand out more.
                  Read it EVERYONE. Or atleast everyone of child bearing age, or with
                  relatives/friends of such.
                  I was aware of the syndrome, but just the sight of the with/without
                  brain pics was an eye opener!
                  cheers
                  Rob.

                  Cheers,