Get togethers (was) Oak kegs

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 28, 2007
      --- joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

      > Hi Trid,
      > I would be happy to sample what ever is on sale while we boast how our
      > stuff is better. I think the sharing of ideas and information is the most
      > important.

      With respect to ideas and information exchange, you really can't beat this
      forum...after all, it's all in print and can always be referenced.

      Where I see value in bringing/sharing samples is to get a real taste of what
      the various techniques and equipment yields. Comparison, feedback, hints and
      clues based on another person's sensory evaluation...that's what I'd love to
      engage in.

      While it's safe to say that, with time and experience, our own is higher in
      quality than the commercially available spirits out there. We can boast here
      or in person, but to dredge up the age-old cliche', the proof is indeed in the
      pudding. I wanna share some pudding, already!

      I definitely appreciate any opportunity to put faces with names and actually
      meet people with whom I've only communicated via the interwebs...which happens
      to be the theme of the convention I'm working on next August. Heck, it's how I
      met SWMBO. I'm not at all opposed to getting together no matter the excuse.
      Even so, it would be added icing to the cake to share the fruits of our
      labors...or the labor of our fruit? What's a car show without cars?

      Trid
      -and of course, by "pudding" I mean booze :)
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 4, 2007
        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: Get togethers

        >--- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
        >> Like a lot of us, I'd dearly love to have a tasting get-together, so I'm
        >> corrupting some friends to achieve a local group of stillers. The social
        >> taste-the-fractions/make-the-cut parties are great for objective evaluation
        >> of a product, and just sippin' and musin'.

        >Unfortunately, I don't have too many friends who would really "get" a little
        >stillin' party ('cept one...and I sometimes still at his house). I need to
        >work on that. However, as the skill improves, fewer people cringe when I
        >present the "here, taste this" and even so far as to actively ask what's new/

        I just got off the phone with my most recent corruptee (and I think there's
        one more in the pipeline) in the process of doing his second run (aside from
        tests) on his brand new 16-gallon potsill. He was beerstripping (but slowly)
        a turbo-sugar wash, and at 86C head temp (when our conversation ended),
        he says the product was sweet and smooth.

        ----snip----.

        >>Looking through the roll call of ADI's 2007 conference, (
        >>http://distilling.com/attendees2007.html ) it appears that nearly 1/4 of the
        >>attendees aren't affiliated with a distillery or organization. When I was in
        >>Portland touring Rogue, our guide was David Cook (in attendance at the
        >>conference) and afterward, when I mentioned aspirations of my own, he
        >>recommended getting in with ADI. He also said that a noticeable number were
        >>(to paraphrase) guys in mid-life crises or retired and thought a distillery
        >>might be a fun project, having no clue what it entails. I also noticed that
        >>Ian Smiley was in attendance...to pick his brain might be worth the $250 alone
        >>:)

        I agree about Smiley. My copy of his book is looking pretty used.

        I looked through that list, and was surprised to see not very many John Doe-
        looking names, or hotmail addresses. Go figure. If I went to the conference,
        I'd consider wearing Groucho glasses, with the fake nose and bushy eyebrows.
        I'd be kinda bashful around a group full of "targets of opportunity"

        >>Trid
        >>[1] Thank you Sir, may I have another?

        Zymurgy Bob
        A simple potstiller