RE: [Distillers] Oak kegs

  • joe giffen
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 28, 2007
      Hi Trid,
      I would be happy to sample what ever is on sale while we boast how our stuff is better. I think the sharing of ideas and information is the most important.

      Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
      --- joe giffen <joegiffen@yahoo. co.uk> wrote:

      > Hi Trid,
      > Keep your kidneys, cause if we have a convention you will need both. Could
      > other members come up with a few ideas. Wild thinking:-
      >
      > Hire part of a cruise ship.

      Except it would be quite tragic if they confiscated our samples as we boarded.

      > Call our outfit the metal workers society

      Plumbers union, Local 1.085

      > Since we are only talking, why not meet anywhere?.

      ...but sampling is half the fun.

      > Call ourselves the temperamental society.

      As if we haven't already :)

      > Behave like a secret society ie., regalia (bottles), glasses etc.

      We need the super seekrit decoder rings and fezzes.

      > Have regional meets followed by a grand jamboree for all the chapters.

      Check!

      Actually, I'm stealthily conspiring with people in my local homebrewing club.
      I slip in the occasional sample to the "trusted few" during the meetings.
      Unfortunately (sort of), their palates are generally more tuned to beer and
      other brews. I'll have to make another bierschnapps batch...there' s novelty
      value in that.

      But then, it all falls full circle to our group and those of us who are keyed
      in to the merits of an oaked Mirabelle eau de vie versus unoaked, and the
      merits of peat smoke and age of a single malt.

      Trid
      -beginning to ramble and I've only had tea this morning...it' s gonna be a long friday

      Regards
      Joe

    • Robert Hubble
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 4, 2007
        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: Get togethers

        >--- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
        >> Like a lot of us, I'd dearly love to have a tasting get-together, so I'm
        >> corrupting some friends to achieve a local group of stillers. The social
        >> taste-the-fractions/make-the-cut parties are great for objective evaluation
        >> of a product, and just sippin' and musin'.

        >Unfortunately, I don't have too many friends who would really "get" a little
        >stillin' party ('cept one...and I sometimes still at his house). I need to
        >work on that. However, as the skill improves, fewer people cringe when I
        >present the "here, taste this" and even so far as to actively ask what's new/

        I just got off the phone with my most recent corruptee (and I think there's
        one more in the pipeline) in the process of doing his second run (aside from
        tests) on his brand new 16-gallon potsill. He was beerstripping (but slowly)
        a turbo-sugar wash, and at 86C head temp (when our conversation ended),
        he says the product was sweet and smooth.

        ----snip----.

        >>Looking through the roll call of ADI's 2007 conference, (
        >>http://distilling.com/attendees2007.html ) it appears that nearly 1/4 of the
        >>attendees aren't affiliated with a distillery or organization. When I was in
        >>Portland touring Rogue, our guide was David Cook (in attendance at the
        >>conference) and afterward, when I mentioned aspirations of my own, he
        >>recommended getting in with ADI. He also said that a noticeable number were
        >>(to paraphrase) guys in mid-life crises or retired and thought a distillery
        >>might be a fun project, having no clue what it entails. I also noticed that
        >>Ian Smiley was in attendance...to pick his brain might be worth the $250 alone
        >>:)

        I agree about Smiley. My copy of his book is looking pretty used.

        I looked through that list, and was surprised to see not very many John Doe-
        looking names, or hotmail addresses. Go figure. If I went to the conference,
        I'd consider wearing Groucho glasses, with the fake nose and bushy eyebrows.
        I'd be kinda bashful around a group full of "targets of opportunity"

        >>Trid
        >>[1] Thank you Sir, may I have another?

        Zymurgy Bob
        A simple potstiller