Re: SFGate: The Manhattan project: A bartender spills his secrets on the king of cocktails

  • Sven Pfitt
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2007
      I'm trying a second attempt at an Orange Bitter.

      1 oz Bitter Orange Peel (Seville orange)
      1tsp corriander
      1tsp cardamon
      1/2 oz dried lemon peel
      1/2 oz dried orange peel (sweet)
      1/2 oz fresh ginger
      4oz neutral spirit
      Let set for 12 days and filter and save the alcohol.
      Put the herbs/seeds back in the original jar and add 4 oz water to
      them. Let set for a day and filter and add to the alcohol filterate.

      The recipe I started from called for simmering the herbs in water for
      5 minutes and then letting it cool and set for two days. Filter and
      add liquid to the original alcohol.

      It was just plain nasty bitter from the bitter peel. One dash
      destroyed a good Martini.

      It was so bad I chucked the drink and the whole lot of bitters.

      I'm doing small batches since the first batch used 4oz bitter ornage
      at $2/oz and I don't feel like making such a big mistake again.

      Sven