Please clarify for a newbie

  • yoda370a
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
      Many sources I have read suggest that methanol is either produced in
      very very small amounts or not at all when using just plain sugar,
      water and yeast to make a wash. Do I still need to worry about the
      potential of there being methanol in there? (I dont wanna die, me too
      young to die)
    • G&N
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
        Yes in Mike Nixons new book he says that there is no methanol in a sugar
        based wash ....if there was it would come out before the acetate anyway so i
        think you can be sure that there in no methanol in your final spirit..

        Glenn

        > Many sources I have read suggest that methanol is either produced in
        > very very small amounts or not at all when using just plain sugar,
        > water and yeast to make a wash. Do I still need to worry about the
        > potential of there being methanol in there? (I dont wanna die, me too
        > young to die)

      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
          > Yes in Mike Nixons new book he says that there is no methanol in a sugar
          > based wash ....if there was it would come out before the acetate anyway
          so i
          > think you can be sure that there in no methanol in your final spirit..

          I know that Mikes written that, and I've read it in a couple of other
          places, but I'm still suspicious. I'd love to see a GLC run on some good
          clean sugar wash, and actually know the concentrations.

          It may not be methanol, but there is still something in the heads. I can
          definately smell acetone (nail polish remover), if I let the column run
          under total reflux for 15-20 min, then take off the heads dripwise.
          Likewise in the temperatures - they still hang round below 78C until this
          material is removed, so it is something different to ethanol.

          Yoda - I'd still discard the first 50-100mL that you collect off a 20L
          wash, just to throw away this first impurity(s). Even if its not
          hazardous, it still tastes bad, and you don't want that corrupting your
          nice clean spirit. Given that you're then going on to collect 3L+ of
          spirit, its not a large cost for the peace of mind & ease on the tastebuds
          it gives.

          Again - let your nose guide you - as you collect the heads, periodically
          let a few drips run onto the back of a spoon, and give them a sniff. If
          they smell bad - throw that portion away. If its agreeable, only then keep
          it.

          Tony