port and whisky

  • Terry
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2007
      I am trying an experiment and was wondering if anyone else has tried
      this, to give me a few tips or just comment on the procedure.

      I went to the local home wine store and picked up a port kit made by
      cellar craft called Porto Corinto, follwed the directions to a t,
      fortfied it with some of my previous home brew and have now kegged it
      into a 23L american white oak medium charred keg. It has only been in
      the keg for 1 month now.

      Meanwhile I am brewing up some rye whisky to replace the port in the
      keg. As I have tasted some whiskies that were aged in sherry kegs and
      I find them quite tasty.

      So here are some questions I have

      1. How long do you think I should keep the Port in the Keg for?
      2. How long will the port take to penetrate the oak?
      2. How long should I keep the rye in the keg for?

      My last batch of rye was in a 10L keg for 2 years and it was
      marvelous, but being a larger keg should it stay in longer??

      any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

      smokin T