RE: [Distillers] Plastic pipe

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2002
      > Could anyone tell me if plastic pipe used in plumbing could be usedfor
      stillmaking?Would it withstand heat? Could it cause toxcity problems? Or
      offflavours? I don't see anyone talking about using it. I thought I sawa
      commercial design utilizing plastic (at least part of the column)on Tony's
      web site.

      Don't use plastic piping - it will not withstand the hot alcohol. Minimum
      result will be flavours, worst result might be toxic. About the only place
      you can use it is as the outside sheath on a jacketed condensor - where its
      only in contact with water, not alcohol.

      Downpiping was originally used in "Bobs Moonshine Still", but that was soon
      converted to a copper pipe. There is some plastic used in other stills -
      eg the StillSpirits bucket/boiler, and the tower of the Duplast, but I
      think these are both food grade (I can vouch for the bucket - mines OK, any
      Duplast owners know the story ?)

      For cheap metal (copper, stainless steel) piping, go bother your local
      scrap merchant.

      Tony