Re: black copper

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2007
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hemo742" <tugar17@...> wrote:

      > Hello
      >
      > The latest experiment has been playing with aeration.
      > The setup. A 4 liter glass jar with 2 liters of 55% whiskey
      sitting on
      > 3 tablespoons of toasted American oak chips. Small aquarium pump
      with
      > plastic lines attached to a copper pipe. I am not comfortable with
      > immersing my plastic hoses. Let it run for ~72 hours. Afterwards,
      > dilution and tasting. The aeration did improve the whiskey by a
      > noticeable margin however I did notice something odd. The copper
      pipe
      > that was immersed had turned black.
      > I washed the copper pipe and the black came off quite easily. I
      > repeated the experiment with neutral alcohol and no oak chips. Once
      > again the product was noticeably improved, much smoother. This
      time,
      > no black copper. So the questions;
      > First what could have caused the copper to blacken?
      > Second is there a recommended proof for aerating neutral alcohol?
      >
      > Thanks.

      Hi hemo,

      That black on the copper sounds like copper II oxide - cupric oxide -
      CUO which is black and used for coloration vs copper I oxide -
      cuprous oxide - Cu2O which is red. Must be some type of reaction
      going on between the air / charcoal / alcohol mixture and the
      copper.

      As far as aeration of alcohol in an open jar, maybe im missing
      something here, but i think you better check your ending abv....
      cause me thinks the angels are getting more then their fair share at
      your place.... Last i recall was that alcohol evaporates faster
      than water in air. Not nice to get them poor lil angels drunk lol.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim