Digital thermometer with alarm

  • jrwme
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 16, 2007
      Greats,

      can any one recommend a digital thermometer (3.5mm probe) with a alarm
      which is setable to 0.1 Deg C at a reasonable price. I'm in Australia
      but a internet shop source is fine.

      Jerry
    • sn_cur
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 16, 2007
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

        > Greats,
        >
        > can any one recommend a digital thermometer (3.5mm probe) with a alarm
        > which is setable to 0.1 Deg C at a reasonable price. I'm in Australia
        > but a internet shop source is fine.
        >
        > Jerry

        These guys have a good range.

        http://www.bettabrew.com.au/html/spirits/spiritset.html

        But I will be surprised if they have what you are looking for.

        Don't be misled by the 'resolution' on digital thermos being 0.1ºC, that is just a display
        feature, and is misleading. The true 'accuracy' of most of these thermos is ± 1 degree, or
        sometimes ± 0.5 degree.

        You will be flat out getting a 0.1 degree programmable thermo for "a reasonable price", by
        which I presume you mean less than $100. That sort of accuracy is expensive.

        My alarm thermometer from Jaycar Electronics cost $44. It displays in 0.1 degree
        increments, but is only accurate to ± 1 degree, and the alarm is only programmable in 1
        degree increments.

        The important thing about thermos in distilling is not that they are extremely accurate, but
        that they are consistent, so you get the same readings in the same conditions (ie, if it is
        0.4 degree out, it is always 0.4 degree out).

        Good luck. If you find one for under $100 let us know.

        sn
      • jrwme
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 16, 2007
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sn_cur" <sn_cur@...> wrote:

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Greats,
          > >
          > > can any one recommend a digital thermometer (3.5mm probe) with a alarm
          > > which is setable to 0.1 Deg C at a reasonable price. I'm in Australia
          > > but a internet shop source is fine.
          > >
          > > Jerry
          > >

          > These guys have a good range.
          >
          > http://www.bettabrew.com.au/html/spirits/spiritset.html
          >
          > But I will be surprised if they have what you are looking for.
          >
          > Don't be misled by the 'resolution' on digital thermos being 0.1ºC,
          that is just a display
          > feature, and is misleading. The true 'accuracy' of most of these
          thermos is ± 1 degree, or
          > sometimes ± 0.5 degree.
          >
          > You will be flat out getting a 0.1 degree programmable thermo for "a
          reasonable price", by
          > which I presume you mean less than $100. That sort of accuracy is
          expensive.

          > My alarm thermometer from Jaycar Electronics cost $44. It displays
          in 0.1 degree
          > increments, but is only accurate to ± 1 degree, and the alarm is
          only programmable in 1
          > degree increments.
          >
          > The important thing about thermos in distilling is not that they are
          extremely accurate, but
          > that they are consistent, so you get the same readings in the same
          conditions (ie, if it is
          > 0.4 degree out, it is always 0.4 degree out).
          >
          > Good luck. If you find one for under $100 let us know.
          >
          > sn

          SN,

          yes I am aware that resolution accuracy are diffent and is the reason
          I want one with an alarm setable to 0.1 deg. That way I can calibrate
          it my self and set the alarm at the correct point. I checked your
          link, and I had been there before, no joy.

          Jerry
        • Derek Hamlet
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 16, 2007
            I use a Maverick digital barbeque
            thermometer. They sell them online and they are not expensive.
            My last one came from ebay and recently I saw
            them on Amazon.com. They are under $20.
            Min is accurate to within plus of minus one
            degree which is plenty good for distilling.
            The sensor is a slim probe. Mine has a remote
            with an alarm so I can be elsewhere in the house
            while the Hoochmonster does it's thing downstairs.
            As a bonus I use it as an meat thermometer in the oven and or barbie.
            When I started this whole distilling thing I was
            looking for high end high tech micro measuring
            instruments. Costs were prohibitive.
            However, careful reading, research etc. (like
            knowing what solders to use), temperatures cuts,
            what to throw away, how to add flavors back etc. can all be done on a budget.
            []

            At 03:33 AM 9/16/2007, you wrote:

            >--- In
            ><mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com>Distillers@yahoogroups.com,
            >"jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Greats,
            > >
            > > can any one recommend a digital thermometer (3.5mm probe) with a alarm
            > > which is setable to 0.1 Deg C at a reasonable price. I'm in Australia
            > > but a internet shop source is fine.
            > >
            > > Jerry
            > >

            >These guys have a good range.
            >
            ><http://www.bettabrew.com.au/html/spirits/spiritset.html>http://www.bettabrew.com.au/html/spirits/spiritset.html
            >
            >But I will be surprised if they have what you are looking for.
            >
            >Don't be misled by the 'resolution' on digital
            >thermos being 0.1ºC, that is just a display
            >feature, and is misleading. The true 'accuracy'
            >of most of these thermos is ± 1 degree, or
            >sometimes ± 0.5 degree.
            >
            >You will be flat out getting a 0.1 degree
            >programmable thermo for "a reasonable price", by
            >which I presume you mean less than $100. That sort of accuracy is expensive.
            >
            >My alarm thermometer from Jaycar Electronics
            >cost $44. It displays in 0.1 degree
            >increments, but is only accurate to ± 1 degree,
            >and the alarm is only programmable in 1
            >degree increments.
            >
            >The important thing about thermos in distilling
            >is not that they are extremely accurate, but
            >that they are consistent, so you get the same
            >readings in the same conditions (ie, if it is
            >0.4 degree out, it is always 0.4 degree out).
            >
            >Good luck. If you find one for under $100 let us know.
            >
            >sn

            Derek
          • Randy Schneider
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 16, 2007
              I'll concur with Derek. I've got a Taylor meat thermometer that sounds like
              the same as Derek's Maverick. The remote is a really handy item.

              At 03:33 AM 9/16/2007, you wrote:

              >--- In
              ><mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com>Distillers@yahoogroups.com,
              >"jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Greats,
              > >
              > > can any one recommend a digital thermometer (3.5mm probe) with a alarm
              > > which is setable to 0.1 Deg C at a reasonable price. I'm in Australia
              > > but a internet shop source is fine.
              > >
              > > Jerry
              > >

              >These guys have a good range.
              >
              ><http://www.bettabrew.com.au/html/spirits/spiritset.html>http://www.bettabrew.com.au/html/spirits/spiritset.html
              >
              >But I will be surprised if they have what you are looking for.
              >
              >Don't be misled by the 'resolution' on digital
              >thermos being 0.1ºC, that is just a display
              >feature, and is misleading. The true 'accuracy'
              >of most of these thermos is ± 1 degree, or
              >sometimes ± 0.5 degree.
              >
              >You will be flat out getting a 0.1 degree
              >programmable thermo for "a reasonable price", by
              >which I presume you mean less than $100. That sort of accuracy is
              >expensive.
              >
              >My alarm thermometer from Jaycar Electronics
              >cost $44. It displays in 0.1 degree
              >increments, but is only accurate to ± 1 degree,
              >and the alarm is only programmable in 1
              >degree increments.
              >
              >The important thing about thermos in distilling
              >is not that they are extremely accurate, but
              >that they are consistent, so you get the same
              >readings in the same conditions (ie, if it is
              >0.4 degree out, it is always 0.4 degree out).
              >
              >Good luck. If you find one for under $100 let us know.
              >
              >sn

              Derek

              Distillers list archives :
              http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/distillers/