A few hints

  • goldenshine65802
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2002
      Good Day and a Big Yahoo to all, just went over the 200 batch mark. No not just bragging. no not on line for that, just wanted to give out a few hints, as I've done pretty well, Sure I had problems when I first started, but only in the recipes, Perhaps My sucess lies in my still or the fact that I follow strict guildelines when it comes to recipes, cleanliness , A good long boil of the wort, yeast, fermentation, temperature of the wort during fermentation, the fact that I use distilled water and aerate my wort good before I add my yeast, a long cool ferment mine takes up to 2 weeks to ferment out as I keep the temps. quite low , most importantly don't get in a rush relax and take your time. Yes I know you want it as fast as you can, If you want to use it to drive your car on, fine, But if you want to drink it, you got to take your time. First of all if your using a all copper outfit make sure its nice and shiny inside keep it clean if there is green stuff starting to show in your pot you better clean it, and your tower is it copper ? or dose it have copper in it? mine dose and I make sure every bit is nice and clean every Time I use it. Yes I know its a bitch to remove and clean out. mine weighs a 100lbs when packed and its a real bitch to clean, but I clean it after every use. You can look at it this way, Blue and green Alcohol is not good to drink. And for Gods sake don't use any lead baste solder or metal that is galvanized. Get rid of that first 50ml that comes over before 174F. ,and don't drink any of it!! Even when I'm pot distilling which I do alot of, I always get rid of the first 50ml that comes over, more when I'm running a big batch. Bring up you temp real slow and bring it over the top slow, don't rush it. Good whiskey has to take time don't get it to hot, back off of it and let it cool down some. Some times it takes me over 10 hours to run a batch through, some times longer or as little a 5 hours just depends on the mash and the size of it.As for filtering it. I always filter when I'm making a nutral spirit even when it smells good. When I'm making Bourbon or corn whiskey I run it through a bed of regular white oak charcoal filter it, let it rest then filter it again, before I add my Toasted wood strips and or chips, then filter it one last time before I bottle it. When I say Filter it , When I'm making whiskey I more or less run it through very fine screens to clean it up. some times this takes several hours. Well I hopes this helps some of you, take care and have a good year.
      George