Re: [Distillers] Re: Isopropyl Alcohol B.P.

  • Toni Smith
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
      hi Andrew
      the only way that could happen i think is if they left it open to the
      air for a bit so it took in some of the natural yeasts from the air. i
      know some sourdough bread makers who have started their sourdough
      starters in this way. grapes also seem to attract natural yeasts from
      the air and maybe cherries do as well. don't quote me on the last one
      but the first 2 i have come across.

      toni

      Andrew wrote:
      > There stuff was much purer and better
      > for you because they would just macerate
      > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
      > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
      > of the things that makes it purer is that
      > they didn't add any chemicals that are
      > bad for you - like yeast :S
    • Toni Smith
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
        if eaten only in quantities that it is found in the same amount of fruit
        eg you eat the fruit as well and they are non-hybrid then it is safe to
        eat the pits of these fruits. i wouldn't eat them from the hybrid
        varieties as the hybrid forms of these fruits seem to still have the
        cyanide without several other compounds which lock in the cyanide in a
        way that it can pass through your system safely if not needed. it is
        only in the case of cancer that it is needed by the body. also steaming
        the pits (or other heat processes) also destroy those same things that
        make it safe to eat.
        no one seems to be telling that side of the story with any of this not
        even the health food stores and the seeds have to be steamed for them to
        sell them as a health food product.

        twisted i know but true from what i have read on the subject and due to
        various health issues i have had i have read quite widely on the subject
        of natural health.

        toni

        jamesonbeam1 wrote:
        > HOWEVER, please dont crush, maserate in alcohol or boil them with the
        > seeds in. This would cause some cyanide to leach through - to wit:
        >
        > "In nature, cyanide is found in the seeds of the apple, peach, plum,
        > apricot, cherry, and almond in the form of amygdalin. One hundred
        > grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
        > while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg. Apricot
        > kernels have been promoted in health food stores as a medicinal
        > product and have been linked to accidental cyanide poisonings in this
        > country. Amygdalin is also sold as the pharmaceutical LaetrileĀ®,
        > which has been linked to several deaths from overuse.
        > Another commonly used medication that contains cyanide is
        > nitroprusside and its excess use has been reported to cause cyanide
        > toxicity and metabolic acidosis.
        > The suffix `prusside' comes from the common name of hydrocyanic acid,
        > prussic acid." (these fruits are part of the "prunus species"...)
        >
        > I'd just rather be safe then sorry when playing around with my fruit
        > brandies John.
        >
        > Vino es Veritas,
        > Jim
      • Sven Pfitt
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
          Spontaneous fermentation with the yeast that reside on the surface of
          the cherries. The same occurs with grapes as you point out (and
          everything exposed to air).

          This is risky since bacteria are also present and you are relying on
          the yeast outgrowing the bacteria. Once the yeast take hold, the pH
          drops and makes the environment less hospitable to mold and bacteria
          (except a few acid loving bacteria like lacto and aceto).

          Sven