Maraschino

  • Matthew Rowley
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5 9:43 AM
      The alcoholists over at eGullet.org have an ongoing discussion of
      maraschino/maraska
      that's that's more about using it rather than making it, but it's
      definitely worth checking out

      http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=61096&hl=

      At any given time, I'm likely to have bottles of Luxardo's
      maraschino,cherry Heering, and kirschwasser at home. All delicious, all
      withdifferent uses...

      ~ Matt
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6 8:52 AM
        Going by memory, Luxardo press the local sour cherries, ferment and
        fortify with spirit when there is still some residual sugars
        stopping the fermentation to make a fortified cherry wine. They then
        soak the cherry pomace and some of the crushed cherry stones/pits in
        50% abv and redistill, add sugar to make their Maraschino (which
        originally was called a rosolio). Originally Luxardo made their
        rosolio in Marasca before the Croats ethnically 'cleansed' the area.
        The Croats make a similar product in the area.
        wal

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rowley"