The evils of yeast - was - Re: Isopropyl Alcohol B.P.

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
      > jamesonbeam1 wrote:
      >
      > Too funny, though im not sure about how
      > pure his cherry brandy was regarding
      > chemicals if he macerated the cherrys
      > without removing the seeds.........
      > <SNIP about cyanide>

      I added the bit about the cherry seeds
      because the cyanide isnt such a great
      idea.

      I do however think the funnier part is
      that he though that my alcohol that was
      made with a known strain of yeast (EC1118)
      was bad because yeast is a chemical.

      His alcohol didn't have that nasty yeast
      chemical in it and was fermented just
      with natural cherry goodness (and
      what ever wild yeast and bacteria happen
      to be on the cherries at the time)
    • John Wisbey
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
        Thats right
        John Wisbey
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
          Jim,
          the amygdalin is found within the seeds, in the kernel. Providing the
          seeds aren't broken, there is no problem with cyanide. In other words,
          if you use blemish free fresh fruit, and don't mash them too hard,
          you'll be fine.
          I make a "quick" sloe gin every year, by soaking the frozen-and-thawed
          sloes (saves pricking the skin) in gin for 2-3 weeks, decanting the
          liquid, and adding sugar to the berries. Shake every day until the
          sugar has liquefied, then pour off and mix with the infused gin.
          I haven't died yet.
          cheers
          Rob.

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          that gives answers, not web links.
        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
            Yes bob, as long as the seeds or pips are not cracked in apples,
            cherries or Blackthorn (sloes - also part of the prunus genus -
            "Prunus spinosa"), it is safe. However, the stones in apicots and
            peaches are another matter. Small quantites of pips may be crushed
            to flavor such liquors as Kirsch or Maraschino, etc.

            Its just that every wine making book ive read over the years (more
            then i want to count lol) says to remove the seeds, pips or stones
            from all fruits in the prunus genus before boiling, fermenting or
            maserating. Ive made blackberry and strawberry wines with whole
            fruits and seeds in - but have always strained out the pulp and seeds
            from the prunus fruits.

            Im so sorry ya all if im being way too careful on this point and
            appologize. Especially since i just read in Yahoo news today how -

            "LUNG DISEASE - Consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger
            from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn, according to
            a warning letter to federal regulators from a doctor at a leading
            lung research hospital."

            and -

            "KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have
            sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god,
            following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft, the
            carrier said Tuesday."

            So whoever it was on here that said "we all going to die of
            something" -if it be making popcorn, riding in a goat blood spattered
            757 or rolling your own alcohol or whatever, I guess i have to agree
            all.....

            Again my appologies - so Live for today - for tomorrow.....

            Vino es Veritas,
            Jim

            - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>

            ______________
            > that gives answers, not web links.

          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
              Hi Jim,
              being careful is never something to apologise for!
              As for the pop corn/lung disease thing: diacetyl (of which there is a
              heck of a lot in popcorn factories) is known to cause bemphingus
              perfidans, a debilitating terminal autoimmune disease of the lungs.
              Fortunately, it is so rare as to be practically non-existant. That
              doesn't mean I'm going out to get a gallon of popcorn though: I hate
              the stuff.

              Cheers,
              Rob.

              http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
            • Toni Smith
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                hi Andrew
                the only way that could happen i think is if they left it open to the
                air for a bit so it took in some of the natural yeasts from the air. i
                know some sourdough bread makers who have started their sourdough
                starters in this way. grapes also seem to attract natural yeasts from
                the air and maybe cherries do as well. don't quote me on the last one
                but the first 2 i have come across.

                toni

                Andrew wrote:
                > There stuff was much purer and better
                > for you because they would just macerate
                > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
                > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
                > of the things that makes it purer is that
                > they didn't add any chemicals that are
                > bad for you - like yeast :S
              • Toni Smith
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                  if eaten only in quantities that it is found in the same amount of fruit
                  eg you eat the fruit as well and they are non-hybrid then it is safe to
                  eat the pits of these fruits. i wouldn't eat them from the hybrid
                  varieties as the hybrid forms of these fruits seem to still have the
                  cyanide without several other compounds which lock in the cyanide in a
                  way that it can pass through your system safely if not needed. it is
                  only in the case of cancer that it is needed by the body. also steaming
                  the pits (or other heat processes) also destroy those same things that
                  make it safe to eat.
                  no one seems to be telling that side of the story with any of this not
                  even the health food stores and the seeds have to be steamed for them to
                  sell them as a health food product.

                  twisted i know but true from what i have read on the subject and due to
                  various health issues i have had i have read quite widely on the subject
                  of natural health.

                  toni

                  jamesonbeam1 wrote:
                  > HOWEVER, please dont crush, maserate in alcohol or boil them with the
                  > seeds in. This would cause some cyanide to leach through - to wit:
                  >
                  > "In nature, cyanide is found in the seeds of the apple, peach, plum,
                  > apricot, cherry, and almond in the form of amygdalin. One hundred
                  > grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
                  > while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg. Apricot
                  > kernels have been promoted in health food stores as a medicinal
                  > product and have been linked to accidental cyanide poisonings in this
                  > country. Amygdalin is also sold as the pharmaceutical Laetrile®,
                  > which has been linked to several deaths from overuse.
                  > Another commonly used medication that contains cyanide is
                  > nitroprusside and its excess use has been reported to cause cyanide
                  > toxicity and metabolic acidosis.
                  > The suffix `prusside' comes from the common name of hydrocyanic acid,
                  > prussic acid." (these fruits are part of the "prunus species"...)
                  >
                  > I'd just rather be safe then sorry when playing around with my fruit
                  > brandies John.
                  >
                  > Vino es Veritas,
                  > Jim
                • Sven Pfitt
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                    Spontaneous fermentation with the yeast that reside on the surface of
                    the cherries. The same occurs with grapes as you point out (and
                    everything exposed to air).

                    This is risky since bacteria are also present and you are relying on
                    the yeast outgrowing the bacteria. Once the yeast take hold, the pH
                    drops and makes the environment less hospitable to mold and bacteria
                    (except a few acid loving bacteria like lacto and aceto).

                    Sven