Re: Isopropyl Alcohol B.P.

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
      Maraschino is an Italian liqueur made from Marasca/Maraska sour
      cherries from the Dalmatian coast
      (now Croatia). The ones you refer to are a U.S. confectionery
      concoction from sweet desert cherries. John Wisbey lives in Italy.
      wal

      > This sounds safe enough John with only a pound or so of cherries
      (and
      > those are Maraschino Cherries Wal)
      >
      > "A maraschino cherry is a preserved, sweetened cherry, typically
      made
      > from light-colored sweet cherries such as the Royal Ann, Rainier,
      or
      > Gold varieties. The cherries are first preserved in a brine
      solution
      > (usually sulfur dioxide or alcohol), then soaked in a suspension
      of
      > food coloring, sugar syrup, artificial and natural flavors, and
      other
      > components. Maraschino cherries dyed red are typically almond-
      > flavored, (PROBABLY FROM THE CYANIDE WHICH SMELLS LIKE BITTER
      ALMOND
      > LOL - JB) while cherries dyed green are usually peppermint-
      flavored."

      > HOWEVER, please dont crush, maserate in alcohol or boil them with
      the
      > seeds in. This would cause some cyanide to leach through - to wit:
      >
      > "In nature, cyanide is found in the seeds of the apple, peach,
      plum,
      > apricot, cherry, and almond in the form of amygdalin. One hundred
      > grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
      > while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg. Apricot
      > kernels have been promoted in health food stores as a medicinal
      > product and have been linked to accidental cyanide poisonings in
      this
      > country. Amygdalin is also sold as the pharmaceutical Laetrile®,
      > which has been linked to several deaths from overuse.
      > Another commonly used medication that contains cyanide is
      > nitroprusside and its excess use has been reported to cause
      cyanide
      > toxicity and metabolic acidosis.
      > The suffix `prusside' comes from the common name of hydrocyanic
      acid,
      > prussic acid." (these fruits are part of the "prunus species"...)
      >
      > I'd just rather be safe then sorry when playing around with my
      fruit
      > brandies John.
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      > Jim

      > > Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
      > > wal
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
      > > stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
      > > about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries
      > juice
      > > and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
      > > flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it
      with
      > > about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through
      cotton
      > > wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left
      are
      > > like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
      > > > John Wisbey

    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
        > jamesonbeam1 wrote:
        >
        > Too funny, though im not sure about how
        > pure his cherry brandy was regarding
        > chemicals if he macerated the cherrys
        > without removing the seeds.........
        > <SNIP about cyanide>

        I added the bit about the cherry seeds
        because the cyanide isnt such a great
        idea.

        I do however think the funnier part is
        that he though that my alcohol that was
        made with a known strain of yeast (EC1118)
        was bad because yeast is a chemical.

        His alcohol didn't have that nasty yeast
        chemical in it and was fermented just
        with natural cherry goodness (and
        what ever wild yeast and bacteria happen
        to be on the cherries at the time)
      • John Wisbey
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
          Thats right
          John Wisbey

          --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@... > wrote:

          > Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
          > wal
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@ >
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
          > stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
          > about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries
          juice
          > and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
          > flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with
          > about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton
          > wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are
          > like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
          > > John Wisbey

        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
            Jim,
            the amygdalin is found within the seeds, in the kernel. Providing the
            seeds aren't broken, there is no problem with cyanide. In other words,
            if you use blemish free fresh fruit, and don't mash them too hard,
            you'll be fine.
            I make a "quick" sloe gin every year, by soaking the frozen-and-thawed
            sloes (saves pricking the skin) in gin for 2-3 weeks, decanting the
            liquid, and adding sugar to the berries. Shake every day until the
            sugar has liquefied, then pour off and mix with the infused gin.
            I haven't died yet.
            cheers
            Rob.

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            that gives answers, not web links.
          • jamesonbeam1
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
              Yes bob, as long as the seeds or pips are not cracked in apples,
              cherries or Blackthorn (sloes - also part of the prunus genus -
              "Prunus spinosa"), it is safe. However, the stones in apicots and
              peaches are another matter. Small quantites of pips may be crushed
              to flavor such liquors as Kirsch or Maraschino, etc.

              Its just that every wine making book ive read over the years (more
              then i want to count lol) says to remove the seeds, pips or stones
              from all fruits in the prunus genus before boiling, fermenting or
              maserating. Ive made blackberry and strawberry wines with whole
              fruits and seeds in - but have always strained out the pulp and seeds
              from the prunus fruits.

              Im so sorry ya all if im being way too careful on this point and
              appologize. Especially since i just read in Yahoo news today how -

              "LUNG DISEASE - Consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger
              from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn, according to
              a warning letter to federal regulators from a doctor at a leading
              lung research hospital."

              and -

              "KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have
              sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god,
              following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft, the
              carrier said Tuesday."

              So whoever it was on here that said "we all going to die of
              something" -if it be making popcorn, riding in a goat blood spattered
              757 or rolling your own alcohol or whatever, I guess i have to agree
              all.....

              Again my appologies - so Live for today - for tomorrow.....

              Vino es Veritas,
              Jim

              - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>

              ______________

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
                Hi Jim,
                being careful is never something to apologise for!
                As for the pop corn/lung disease thing: diacetyl (of which there is a
                heck of a lot in popcorn factories) is known to cause bemphingus
                perfidans, a debilitating terminal autoimmune disease of the lungs.
                Fortunately, it is so rare as to be practically non-existant. That
                doesn't mean I'm going out to get a gallon of popcorn though: I hate
                the stuff.

                Cheers,
                Rob.

                http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
              • Toni Smith
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                  hi Andrew
                  the only way that could happen i think is if they left it open to the
                  air for a bit so it took in some of the natural yeasts from the air. i
                  know some sourdough bread makers who have started their sourdough
                  starters in this way. grapes also seem to attract natural yeasts from
                  the air and maybe cherries do as well. don't quote me on the last one
                  but the first 2 i have come across.

                  toni

                  Andrew wrote:
                  > There stuff was much purer and better
                  > for you because they would just macerate
                  > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
                  > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
                  > of the things that makes it purer is that
                  > they didn't add any chemicals that are
                  > bad for you - like yeast :S
                • Toni Smith
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                    if eaten only in quantities that it is found in the same amount of fruit
                    eg you eat the fruit as well and they are non-hybrid then it is safe to
                    eat the pits of these fruits. i wouldn't eat them from the hybrid
                    varieties as the hybrid forms of these fruits seem to still have the
                    cyanide without several other compounds which lock in the cyanide in a
                    way that it can pass through your system safely if not needed. it is
                    only in the case of cancer that it is needed by the body. also steaming
                    the pits (or other heat processes) also destroy those same things that
                    make it safe to eat.
                    no one seems to be telling that side of the story with any of this not
                    even the health food stores and the seeds have to be steamed for them to
                    sell them as a health food product.

                    twisted i know but true from what i have read on the subject and due to
                    various health issues i have had i have read quite widely on the subject
                    of natural health.

                    toni

                    jamesonbeam1 wrote:
                    > HOWEVER, please dont crush, maserate in alcohol or boil them with the
                    > seeds in. This would cause some cyanide to leach through - to wit:
                    >
                    > "In nature, cyanide is found in the seeds of the apple, peach, plum,
                    > apricot, cherry, and almond in the form of amygdalin. One hundred
                    > grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
                    > while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg. Apricot
                    > kernels have been promoted in health food stores as a medicinal
                    > product and have been linked to accidental cyanide poisonings in this
                    > country. Amygdalin is also sold as the pharmaceutical Laetrile®,
                    > which has been linked to several deaths from overuse.
                    > Another commonly used medication that contains cyanide is
                    > nitroprusside and its excess use has been reported to cause cyanide
                    > toxicity and metabolic acidosis.
                    > The suffix `prusside' comes from the common name of hydrocyanic acid,
                    > prussic acid." (these fruits are part of the "prunus species"...)
                    >
                    > I'd just rather be safe then sorry when playing around with my fruit
                    > brandies John.
                    >
                    > Vino es Veritas,
                    > Jim
                  • Sven Pfitt
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                      Spontaneous fermentation with the yeast that reside on the surface of
                      the cherries. The same occurs with grapes as you point out (and
                      everything exposed to air).

                      This is risky since bacteria are also present and you are relying on
                      the yeast outgrowing the bacteria. Once the yeast take hold, the pH
                      drops and makes the environment less hospitable to mold and bacteria
                      (except a few acid loving bacteria like lacto and aceto).

                      Sven