Re: [Distillers] Re: Ideas

  • joe giffen
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
      Hi,
      If it is ever built I will buy it.

      bbornais <bbornais@...> wrote:
      make a multi plate bubble cap column out of stainless steel with take
      off valves at each level and sight glasses. Connect this to a stainless
      steel tank of about 50L, with input and output valves, as well as a
      level gauge and pressure and temperature gauges too. This could be used
      as a continuous still for stripping. Then connect the runoff valves to
      to a smaller sampling chamber that connects to a smaller still, where
      you could combine the proportions of take off from the bubble caps, and
      batch still them over.

      That would look cool, and be complicated.

      Bryan.

      Regards
      Joe

    • Trid
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
        --- jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
        > http://www.moonshine-still.com/page2.htm - Building a World Class Still

        This was where I got the plans for my first, though I did the first reflux
        design, not the valved design. It gave me my first taste of how it worked, but
        didn't work all that well. The valved design (
        http://www.moonshine-still.com/page16.htm ) confused me at first, but after
        doing it for a while and revisiting various designs it started to make sense.
        Then again, I'm a little slow sometimes :) Even so, it took more time to
        gather all the parts than to construct.

        > http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm - Designs and Plans - Home
        > Distiller

        Tons of good ideas here, too. So many different design options kind of
        overwhelmed me at first. Over time I was able to see where the concepts
        overlapped and where there were differences. It also started coming clear
        where differences did and did not mean better or worse. Vague, I know, but it
        just takes some time and asking questions here and there.

        > Shine's Still - Looks like a great job !!!

        Amazing design...I'm jealous of not only the final construction, but of the
        facilities to be able to make it. I wanna play at Pint's place one day :)
        However, working stainless requires a whole new level of tools and materials to
        work than copper. That may or may not be a consideration for you.

        Trid
        - always tinkering
      • Trid
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
          --- bbornais <bbornais@...> wrote:

          > make a multi plate bubble cap column out of stainless steel with take
          > off valves at each level and sight glasses. Connect this to a stainless
          > steel tank of about 50L, with input and output valves, as well as a
          > level gauge and pressure and temperature gauges too. This could be used
          > as a continuous still for stripping. Then connect the runoff valves to
          > to a smaller sampling chamber that connects to a smaller still, where
          > you could combine the proportions of take off from the bubble caps, and
          > batch still them over.
          >
          > That would look cool, and be complicated.
          >
          > Bryan.

          Agreed :)
          Though if done well, it would rock! One day, when I grow up, I'll make one
          too! I need to trim down my hobbies.

          Trid
          -too much going on sometimes
        • JD
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
            Good sites.

            All will produce a very nice percentage.
            Only for complexity i would build a duble headed valved reflux still. Wich will do very well i think.
            My only problem is the parts.
            they are willing to sell if i give my company name.
            wich i dont have and on the scrapheap they are rarly availble. and have to be lucky to get a lenght.

            The only thing i could order right away were the 6mm diameter copper lines wich are used for airconditioning systems. sold by 6 meters.

            So im tight to 13 15 and 22 mm pipes. sold by meters.
            The only good thing about that are the wrench fittings.
            rings for it are sold seperatly so cleaning wont be a big problem.

            Ive just bought an 1 meter lenght and a bag of stainless steel scrubbers 8.5 kilo grams of granulated sugar and 1 turbo yeast comming up.

            First thing to do is reknowing the still.
            Things changed so wath will it do
            Have bin carefully reading homedistiller.org
            And on my stove a meter would bring me to about 90~92% end result.

            So now the task is to get the taste to it
            have bin cooking corn so thats a good back up for the taste in the sugar mash.

            Hope things will work out.

            Thanks Greetz,

            JD