Re: [Distillers] Re: Ideas

  • joe giffen
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
      Hi,
      If it is ever built I will buy it.

      bbornais <bbornais@...> wrote:
      make a multi plate bubble cap column out of stainless steel with take
      off valves at each level and sight glasses. Connect this to a stainless
      steel tank of about 50L, with input and output valves, as well as a
      level gauge and pressure and temperature gauges too. This could be used
      as a continuous still for stripping. Then connect the runoff valves to
      to a smaller sampling chamber that connects to a smaller still, where
      you could combine the proportions of take off from the bubble caps, and
      batch still them over.

      That would look cool, and be complicated.

      Bryan.

      Regards
      Joe

    • Trid
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
        --- still_maker90 <blake.spence@...> wrote:

        > Kinda new to this.
        > I want to make a reflux still for my school metalwork assesment, I
        > have over a year to make it.
        > Ive been looking around and ive heard this is the best place to go for
        > this stuff.
        > Does anyone have any designs or ideas that I could use, Im willing to
        > make a rather complex still.
        >
        > Thanks.

        I think the irony of this is that it's not that complex to make one. Most of
        us have done it in our garages/backyards/kitchens in a couple days. If you're
        looking for a metalwork project that's going to take a year, depending on your
        budget, you're looking to do far more on an artistic level than functional.
        Not that it's going to be artistic and not functional, just that the function
        is easy and quick to achieve...additional work and effort is essentially
        gilding the lily.

        Mind you, I'm all about over the top and some superfluous lily
        gilding...because it's fun, and I'm quirky like that. However, it might do for
        you to start with some basic designs to get an idea for functionality...pot
        still and some basic reflux designs that aren't too much more complicated than
        a disc soldered into a diagonal slit in a pipe (I'm simplifying a little here).
        Where this is going is that I presume you want it to work and not just look
        good...otherwise we'd be talking a sculpture that looks like a still.

        However, if you just want to construct from exiting plans just to show that you
        can, there are plenty on the already mentioned http://homedistiller.org (the
        supreme resource for DIY). Or, perhaps some of our more creative types without
        either the time or the facilities might send some of their drawings/concepts to
        possibly have the chance of seeing them realized.

        Finally...as you're saying it's for your school assessment, don't get yourself
        into trouble...either by being underage, or making something that might get the
        school in trouble. Use care and discretion. However, for the sake of the
        school, you might be better off using the purpose of fuel rather than beverage
        ethanol...for the sake of legality and liability.

        So, for the sake of further input from all of us, what do you think? What did
        you have in mind more specifically. The more details you can provide, the more
        we can offer advice that will get you the results you're after. Size?
        Materials? Desired results?

        Trid
        - have considered taking welding courses at the local community college for the
        sake of my own hardware, too.
      • Trid
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
          --- jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
          > http://www.moonshine-still.com/page2.htm - Building a World Class Still

          This was where I got the plans for my first, though I did the first reflux
          design, not the valved design. It gave me my first taste of how it worked, but
          didn't work all that well. The valved design (
          http://www.moonshine-still.com/page16.htm ) confused me at first, but after
          doing it for a while and revisiting various designs it started to make sense.
          Then again, I'm a little slow sometimes :) Even so, it took more time to
          gather all the parts than to construct.

          > http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm - Designs and Plans - Home
          > Distiller

          Tons of good ideas here, too. So many different design options kind of
          overwhelmed me at first. Over time I was able to see where the concepts
          overlapped and where there were differences. It also started coming clear
          where differences did and did not mean better or worse. Vague, I know, but it
          just takes some time and asking questions here and there.

          > Shine's Still - Looks like a great job !!!

          Amazing design...I'm jealous of not only the final construction, but of the
          facilities to be able to make it. I wanna play at Pint's place one day :)
          However, working stainless requires a whole new level of tools and materials to
          work than copper. That may or may not be a consideration for you.

          Trid
          - always tinkering
        • Trid
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
            --- bbornais <bbornais@...> wrote:

            > make a multi plate bubble cap column out of stainless steel with take
            > off valves at each level and sight glasses. Connect this to a stainless
            > steel tank of about 50L, with input and output valves, as well as a
            > level gauge and pressure and temperature gauges too. This could be used
            > as a continuous still for stripping. Then connect the runoff valves to
            > to a smaller sampling chamber that connects to a smaller still, where
            > you could combine the proportions of take off from the bubble caps, and
            > batch still them over.
            >
            > That would look cool, and be complicated.
            >
            > Bryan.

            Agreed :)
            Though if done well, it would rock! One day, when I grow up, I'll make one
            too! I need to trim down my hobbies.

            Trid
            -too much going on sometimes
          • JD
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
              Good sites.

              All will produce a very nice percentage.
              Only for complexity i would build a duble headed valved reflux still. Wich will do very well i think.
              My only problem is the parts.
              they are willing to sell if i give my company name.
              wich i dont have and on the scrapheap they are rarly availble. and have to be lucky to get a lenght.

              The only thing i could order right away were the 6mm diameter copper lines wich are used for airconditioning systems. sold by 6 meters.

              So im tight to 13 15 and 22 mm pipes. sold by meters.
              The only good thing about that are the wrench fittings.
              rings for it are sold seperatly so cleaning wont be a big problem.

              Ive just bought an 1 meter lenght and a bag of stainless steel scrubbers 8.5 kilo grams of granulated sugar and 1 turbo yeast comming up.

              First thing to do is reknowing the still.
              Things changed so wath will it do
              Have bin carefully reading homedistiller.org
              And on my stove a meter would bring me to about 90~92% end result.

              So now the task is to get the taste to it
              have bin cooking corn so thats a good back up for the taste in the sugar mash.

              Hope things will work out.

              Thanks Greetz,

              JD

              > I want to make a reflux still for my school metalwork assesment, I
              > have over a year to make it.
              > Ive been looking around and ive heard this is the best place to go for
              > this stuff.
              > Does anyone have any designs or ideas that I could use, Im willing to
              > make a rather complex still.
              >
              > Thanks.

              http://www.moonshin e-still.com/ page2.htm - Building a World Class Still

              http://homedistille r.org/designs. htm - Designs and Plans - Home
              Distiller

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Distillers /message/ 40175 - Pint O
              Shine's Still - Looks like a great job !!!

              Vino es Veritas,
              Jim