Plastic pipe

  • homebrew731
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
      Could anyone tell me if plastic pipe used in plumbing could be usedfor stillmaking?Would it withstand heat? Could it cause toxcity problems? Or offflavours? I don't see anyone talking about using it. I thought I sawa commercial design utilizing plastic (at least part of the column)on Tony's web site.
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2002
        > Could anyone tell me if plastic pipe used in plumbing could be usedfor
        stillmaking?Would it withstand heat? Could it cause toxcity problems? Or
        offflavours? I don't see anyone talking about using it. I thought I sawa
        commercial design utilizing plastic (at least part of the column)on Tony's
        web site.

        Don't use plastic piping - it will not withstand the hot alcohol. Minimum
        result will be flavours, worst result might be toxic. About the only place
        you can use it is as the outside sheath on a jacketed condensor - where its
        only in contact with water, not alcohol.

        Downpiping was originally used in "Bobs Moonshine Still", but that was soon
        converted to a copper pipe. There is some plastic used in other stills -
        eg the StillSpirits bucket/boiler, and the tower of the Duplast, but I
        think these are both food grade (I can vouch for the bucket - mines OK, any
        Duplast owners know the story ?)

        For cheap metal (copper, stainless steel) piping, go bother your local
        scrap merchant.

        Tony