Re: [Distillers] Re: Isopropyl Alcohol B.P.

  • John Wisbey
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
      I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries juice and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
      John Wisbey
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
        Maraschino?

        --
        Brendan Keith
        bkeith@...

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
          Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
          wal
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@...>
          wrote:

          > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
          stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
          about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries juice
          and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
          flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with
          about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton
          wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are
          like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
          > John Wisbey

        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
            This sounds safe enough John with only a pound or so of cherries (and
            those are Maraschino Cherries Wal)

            "A maraschino cherry is a preserved, sweetened cherry, typically made
            from light-colored sweet cherries such as the Royal Ann, Rainier, or
            Gold varieties. The cherries are first preserved in a brine solution
            (usually sulfur dioxide or alcohol), then soaked in a suspension of
            food coloring, sugar syrup, artificial and natural flavors, and other
            components. Maraschino cherries dyed red are typically almond-
            flavored, (PROBABLY FROM THE CYANIDE WHICH SMELLS LIKE BITTER ALMOND
            LOL - JB) while cherries dyed green are usually peppermint-flavored."

            HOWEVER, please dont crush, maserate in alcohol or boil them with the
            seeds in. This would cause some cyanide to leach through - to wit:

            "In nature, cyanide is found in the seeds of the apple, peach, plum,
            apricot, cherry, and almond in the form of amygdalin. One hundred
            grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
            while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg. Apricot
            kernels have been promoted in health food stores as a medicinal
            product and have been linked to accidental cyanide poisonings in this
            country. Amygdalin is also sold as the pharmaceutical Laetrile®,
            which has been linked to several deaths from overuse.
            Another commonly used medication that contains cyanide is
            nitroprusside and its excess use has been reported to cause cyanide
            toxicity and metabolic acidosis.
            The suffix `prusside' comes from the common name of hydrocyanic acid,
            prussic acid." (these fruits are part of the "prunus species"...)

            I'd just rather be safe then sorry when playing around with my fruit
            brandies John.

            Vino es Veritas,
            Jim

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
              Maraschino is an Italian liqueur made from Marasca/Maraska sour
              cherries from the Dalmatian coast
              (now Croatia). The ones you refer to are a U.S. confectionery
              concoction from sweet desert cherries. John Wisbey lives in Italy.
              wal

> [...]
              > Jim

              > > Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
              > > wal
              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
              > > stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
              > > about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries
              > juice
              > > and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
              > > flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it
              with
              > > about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through
              cotton
              > > wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left
              are
              > > like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.

            • Andrew
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                > jamesonbeam1 wrote:
                >
                > Too funny, though im not sure about how
                > pure his cherry brandy was regarding
                > chemicals if he macerated the cherrys
                > without removing the seeds.........
                > <SNIP about cyanide>

                I added the bit about the cherry seeds
                because the cyanide isnt such a great
                idea.

                I do however think the funnier part is
                that he though that my alcohol that was
                made with a known strain of yeast (EC1118)
                was bad because yeast is a chemical.

                His alcohol didn't have that nasty yeast
                chemical in it and was fermented just
                with natural cherry goodness (and
                what ever wild yeast and bacteria happen
                to be on the cherries at the time)
              • John Wisbey
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Thats right
                  John Wisbey

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@... > wrote:

                  > Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
                  > wal
                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@ >
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
                  > stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
                  > about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries
                  juice
                  > and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
                  > flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with
                  > about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton
                  > wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are
                  > like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
                  > > John Wisbey

                • Robert Thomas
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                    Jim,
                    the amygdalin is found within the seeds, in the kernel. Providing the
                    seeds aren't broken, there is no problem with cyanide. In other words,
                    if you use blemish free fresh fruit, and don't mash them too hard,
                    you'll be fine.
                    I make a "quick" sloe gin every year, by soaking the frozen-and-thawed
                    sloes (saves pricking the skin) in gin for 2-3 weeks, decanting the
                    liquid, and adding sugar to the berries. Shake every day until the
                    sugar has liquefied, then pour off and mix with the infused gin.
                    I haven't died yet.
                    cheers
                    Rob.

                    Cheers,
                    Rob.

                    that gives answers, not web links.
                  • jamesonbeam1
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Yes bob, as long as the seeds or pips are not cracked in apples,
                      cherries or Blackthorn (sloes - also part of the prunus genus -
                      "Prunus spinosa"), it is safe. However, the stones in apicots and
                      peaches are another matter. Small quantites of pips may be crushed
                      to flavor such liquors as Kirsch or Maraschino, etc.

                      Its just that every wine making book ive read over the years (more
                      then i want to count lol) says to remove the seeds, pips or stones
                      from all fruits in the prunus genus before boiling, fermenting or
                      maserating. Ive made blackberry and strawberry wines with whole
                      fruits and seeds in - but have always strained out the pulp and seeds
                      from the prunus fruits.

                      Im so sorry ya all if im being way too careful on this point and
                      appologize. Especially since i just read in Yahoo news today how -

                      "LUNG DISEASE - Consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger
                      from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn, according to
                      a warning letter to federal regulators from a doctor at a leading
                      lung research hospital."

                      and -

                      "KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have
                      sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god,
                      following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft, the
                      carrier said Tuesday."

                      So whoever it was on here that said "we all going to die of
                      something" -if it be making popcorn, riding in a goat blood spattered
                      757 or rolling your own alcohol or whatever, I guess i have to agree
                      all.....

                      Again my appologies - so Live for today - for tomorrow.....

                      Vino es Veritas,
                      Jim

                      - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>

                      ______________

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
                        Hi Jim,
                        being careful is never something to apologise for!
                        As for the pop corn/lung disease thing: diacetyl (of which there is a
                        heck of a lot in popcorn factories) is known to cause bemphingus
                        perfidans, a debilitating terminal autoimmune disease of the lungs.
                        Fortunately, it is so rare as to be practically non-existant. That
                        doesn't mean I'm going out to get a gallon of popcorn though: I hate
                        the stuff.

                        Cheers,
                        Rob.

                        http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
                      • Toni Smith
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                          hi Andrew
                          the only way that could happen i think is if they left it open to the
                          air for a bit so it took in some of the natural yeasts from the air. i
                          know some sourdough bread makers who have started their sourdough
                          starters in this way. grapes also seem to attract natural yeasts from
                          the air and maybe cherries do as well. don't quote me on the last one
                          but the first 2 i have come across.

                          toni

                          Andrew wrote:
                          > There stuff was much purer and better
                          > for you because they would just macerate
                          > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
                          > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
                          > of the things that makes it purer is that
                          > they didn't add any chemicals that are
                          > bad for you - like yeast :S
                        • Toni Smith
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                            if eaten only in quantities that it is found in the same amount of fruit
                            eg you eat the fruit as well and they are non-hybrid then it is safe to
                            eat the pits of these fruits. i wouldn't eat them from the hybrid
                            varieties as the hybrid forms of these fruits seem to still have the
                            cyanide without several other compounds which lock in the cyanide in a
                            way that it can pass through your system safely if not needed. it is
                            only in the case of cancer that it is needed by the body. also steaming
                            the pits (or other heat processes) also destroy those same things that
                            make it safe to eat.
                            no one seems to be telling that side of the story with any of this not
                            even the health food stores and the seeds have to be steamed for them to
                            sell them as a health food product.

                            twisted i know but true from what i have read on the subject and due to
                            various health issues i have had i have read quite widely on the subject
                            of natural health.

                            toni

                            jamesonbeam1 wrote:
                            > HOWEVER, please dont crush, maserate in alcohol or boil them with the
                            > seeds in. This would cause some cyanide to leach through - to wit:
                            >
                            > "In nature, cyanide is found in the seeds of the apple, peach, plum,
                            > apricot, cherry, and almond in the form of amygdalin. One hundred
                            > grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
                            > while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg. Apricot
                            > kernels have been promoted in health food stores as a medicinal
                            > product and have been linked to accidental cyanide poisonings in this
                            > country. Amygdalin is also sold as the pharmaceutical Laetrile®,
                            > which has been linked to several deaths from overuse.
                            > Another commonly used medication that contains cyanide is
                            > nitroprusside and its excess use has been reported to cause cyanide
                            > toxicity and metabolic acidosis.
                            > The suffix `prusside' comes from the common name of hydrocyanic acid,
                            > prussic acid." (these fruits are part of the "prunus species"...)
                            >
                            > I'd just rather be safe then sorry when playing around with my fruit
                            > brandies John.
                            >
                            > Vino es Veritas,
                            > Jim
                          • Sven Pfitt
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                              Spontaneous fermentation with the yeast that reside on the surface of
                              the cherries. The same occurs with grapes as you point out (and
                              everything exposed to air).

                              This is risky since bacteria are also present and you are relying on
                              the yeast outgrowing the bacteria. Once the yeast take hold, the pH
                              drops and makes the environment less hospitable to mold and bacteria
                              (except a few acid loving bacteria like lacto and aceto).

                              Sven