Ideas

  • still_maker90
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
      Kinda new to this.
      I want to make a reflux still for my school metalwork assesment, I
      have over a year to make it.
      Ive been looking around and ive heard this is the best place to go for
      this stuff.
      Does anyone have any designs or ideas that I could use, Im willing to
      make a rather complex still.

      Thanks.
    • bbornais
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
        make a multi plate bubble cap column out of stainless steel with take
        off valves at each level and sight glasses. Connect this to a stainless
        steel tank of about 50L, with input and output valves, as well as a
        level gauge and pressure and temperature gauges too. This could be used
        as a continuous still for stripping. Then connect the runoff valves to
        to a smaller sampling chamber that connects to a smaller still, where
        you could combine the proportions of take off from the bubble caps, and
        batch still them over.

        That would look cool, and be complicated.

        Bryan.
      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "still_maker90" <blake.spence@...>
          wrote:

          > Kinda new to this.
          > I want to make a reflux still for my school metalwork assesment, I
          > have over a year to make it.
          > Ive been looking around and ive heard this is the best place to go for
          > this stuff.
          > Does anyone have any designs or ideas that I could use, Im willing to
          > make a rather complex still.
          >
          > Thanks.

          http://www.moonshine-still.com/page2.htm - Building a World Class Still

          http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm - Designs and Plans - Home
          Distiller

          Shine's Still - Looks like a great job !!!

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim
        • joe giffen

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
              --- still_maker90 <blake.spence@...> wrote:

              > Kinda new to this.
              > I want to make a reflux still for my school metalwork assesment, I
              > have over a year to make it.
              > Ive been looking around and ive heard this is the best place to go for
              > this stuff.
              > Does anyone have any designs or ideas that I could use, Im willing to
              > make a rather complex still.
              >
              > Thanks.

              I think the irony of this is that it's not that complex to make one. Most of
              us have done it in our garages/backyards/kitchens in a couple days. If you're
              looking for a metalwork project that's going to take a year, depending on your
              budget, you're looking to do far more on an artistic level than functional.
              Not that it's going to be artistic and not functional, just that the function
              is easy and quick to achieve...additional work and effort is essentially
              gilding the lily.

              Mind you, I'm all about over the top and some superfluous lily
              gilding...because it's fun, and I'm quirky like that. However, it might do for
              you to start with some basic designs to get an idea for functionality...pot
              still and some basic reflux designs that aren't too much more complicated than
              a disc soldered into a diagonal slit in a pipe (I'm simplifying a little here).
              Where this is going is that I presume you want it to work and not just look
              good...otherwise we'd be talking a sculpture that looks like a still.

              However, if you just want to construct from exiting plans just to show that you
              can, there are plenty on the already mentioned http://homedistiller.org (the
              supreme resource for DIY). Or, perhaps some of our more creative types without
              either the time or the facilities might send some of their drawings/concepts to
              possibly have the chance of seeing them realized.

              Finally...as you're saying it's for your school assessment, don't get yourself
              into trouble...either by being underage, or making something that might get the
              school in trouble. Use care and discretion. However, for the sake of the
              school, you might be better off using the purpose of fuel rather than beverage
              ethanol...for the sake of legality and liability.

              So, for the sake of further input from all of us, what do you think? What did
              you have in mind more specifically. The more details you can provide, the more
              we can offer advice that will get you the results you're after. Size?
              Materials? Desired results?

              Trid
              - have considered taking welding courses at the local community college for the
              sake of my own hardware, too.
            • Trid
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
                --- jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
                > http://www.moonshine-still.com/page2.htm - Building a World Class Still

                This was where I got the plans for my first, though I did the first reflux
                design, not the valved design. It gave me my first taste of how it worked, but
                didn't work all that well. The valved design (
                http://www.moonshine-still.com/page16.htm ) confused me at first, but after
                doing it for a while and revisiting various designs it started to make sense.
                Then again, I'm a little slow sometimes :) Even so, it took more time to
                gather all the parts than to construct.

                > http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm - Designs and Plans - Home
                > Distiller

                Tons of good ideas here, too. So many different design options kind of
                overwhelmed me at first. Over time I was able to see where the concepts
                overlapped and where there were differences. It also started coming clear
                where differences did and did not mean better or worse. Vague, I know, but it
                just takes some time and asking questions here and there.

                > Shine's Still - Looks like a great job !!!

                Amazing design...I'm jealous of not only the final construction, but of the
                facilities to be able to make it. I wanna play at Pint's place one day :)
                However, working stainless requires a whole new level of tools and materials to
                work than copper. That may or may not be a consideration for you.

                Trid
                - always tinkering
              • Trid
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007
                  --- bbornais <bbornais@...> wrote:

                  > make a multi plate bubble cap column out of stainless steel with take
                  > off valves at each level and sight glasses. Connect this to a stainless
                  > steel tank of about 50L, with input and output valves, as well as a
                  > level gauge and pressure and temperature gauges too. This could be used
                  > as a continuous still for stripping. Then connect the runoff valves to
                  > to a smaller sampling chamber that connects to a smaller still, where
                  > you could combine the proportions of take off from the bubble caps, and
                  > batch still them over.
                  >
                  > That would look cool, and be complicated.
                  >
                  > Bryan.

                  Agreed :)
                  Though if done well, it would rock! One day, when I grow up, I'll make one
                  too! I need to trim down my hobbies.

                  Trid
                  -too much going on sometimes
                • JD
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
                    Good sites.

                    All will produce a very nice percentage.
                    Only for complexity i would build a duble headed valved reflux still. Wich will do very well i think.
                    My only problem is the parts.
                    they are willing to sell if i give my company name.
                    wich i dont have and on the scrapheap they are rarly availble. and have to be lucky to get a lenght.

                    The only thing i could order right away were the 6mm diameter copper lines wich are used for airconditioning systems. sold by 6 meters.

                    So im tight to 13 15 and 22 mm pipes. sold by meters.
                    The only good thing about that are the wrench fittings.
                    rings for it are sold seperatly so cleaning wont be a big problem.

                    Ive just bought an 1 meter lenght and a bag of stainless steel scrubbers 8.5 kilo grams of granulated sugar and 1 turbo yeast comming up.

                    First thing to do is reknowing the still.
                    Things changed so wath will it do
                    Have bin carefully reading homedistiller.org
                    And on my stove a meter would bring me to about 90~92% end result.

                    So now the task is to get the taste to it
                    have bin cooking corn so thats a good back up for the taste in the sugar mash.

                    Hope things will work out.

                    Thanks Greetz,

                    JD

                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Distillers /message/ 40175 - Pint O