Re: [Distillers] Re: Isopropyl Alcohol B.P.

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
      Haha.. choke on that critic

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Andrew
      Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 1:18 PM
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Isopropyl Alcohol B.P.

      > rhodeseng wrote:
      >
      > I put heads in a spray bottle and use
      > to spray the shower after a bath.
      > It keeps the soap scum from attaching
      > to the tile and doors.

      I keep my heads and tails aside and then
      mix them together to feed a russian
      friend of mine that claims my ultra pure
      tasteless 95% stuff isn't potent enough
      and doesn't get him drunk :S

      I have not found anything to keep a
      polish bloke I know happy yet though.
      When he was younger he used to make
      much better cherry brandy that was
      infinitly better for your gut than the
      nasty stuff I make (apparently) .

      There stuff was much purer and better
      for you because they would just macerate
      the cherries (without taking out seeds)
      and then let it ferment. Apparently one
      of the things that makes it purer is that
      they didn't add any chemicals that are
      bad for you - like yeast :S

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
        Too funny, though im not sure about how pure his cherry brandy was
        regarding chemicals if he macerated the cherrys without removing the
        seeds......... To quote:

        "The kernels of prunus species (plums, cherries, apricots, apples)
        contain HCN - hydrocyanic acid, formerly known as prussic acid. 0.05g
        is a lethal dose for an adult. It has been recorded that a person
        died from eating a whole cup of apple pips as a treat on his
        birthday! Normally, when macerating these fruits in alcohol, the
        stones should be removed, although small amounts are used for
        flavoring purposes (e.g. Maraschino)." (from Home Distiller)

        LOL maybe thats his problem - next time throw a splash of cynaide in
        for flavor hehe (just joking).

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <andrewm1973@...> wrote:

        > > rhodeseng wrote:
        > >
        > > I put heads in a spray bottle and use
        > > to spray the shower after a bath.
        > > It keeps the soap scum from attaching
        > > to the tile and doors.
        >
        > I keep my heads and tails aside and then
        > mix them together to feed a russian
        > friend of mine that claims my ultra pure
        > tasteless 95% stuff isn't potent enough
        > and doesn't get him drunk :S
        >
        > I have not found anything to keep a
        > polish bloke I know happy yet though.
        > When he was younger he used to make
        > much better cherry brandy that was
        > infinitly better for your gut than the
        > nasty stuff I make (apparently).
        >
        > There stuff was much purer and better
        > for you because they would just macerate
        > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
        > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
        > of the things that makes it purer is that
        > they didn't add any chemicals that are
        > bad for you - like yeast :S

      • John Wisbey
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
          I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries juice and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
          John Wisbey
          > for you because they would just macerate
          > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
          > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
          > of the things that makes it purer is that
          > they didn't add any chemicals that are
          > bad for you - like yeast :S

        • Brendan Keith
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
            Maraschino?

            --
            Brendan Keith
            bkeith@...

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
              Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
              wal
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@...>
              wrote:

              > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
              stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
              about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries juice
              and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
              flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with
              about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton
              wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are
              like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
              > John Wisbey

            • jamesonbeam1
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                This sounds safe enough John with only a pound or so of cherries (and
                those are Maraschino Cherries Wal)

                "A maraschino cherry is a preserved, sweetened cherry, typically made
                from light-colored sweet cherries such as the Royal Ann, Rainier, or
                Gold varieties. The cherries are first preserved in a brine solution
                (usually sulfur dioxide or alcohol), then soaked in a suspension of
                food coloring, sugar syrup, artificial and natural flavors, and other
                components. Maraschino cherries dyed red are typically almond-
                flavored, (PROBABLY FROM THE CYANIDE WHICH SMELLS LIKE BITTER ALMOND
                LOL - JB) while cherries dyed green are usually peppermint-flavored."

                HOWEVER, please dont crush, maserate in alcohol or boil them with the
                seeds in. This would cause some cyanide to leach through - to wit:

                "In nature, cyanide is found in the seeds of the apple, peach, plum,
                apricot, cherry, and almond in the form of amygdalin. One hundred
                grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
                while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg. Apricot
                kernels have been promoted in health food stores as a medicinal
                product and have been linked to accidental cyanide poisonings in this
                country. Amygdalin is also sold as the pharmaceutical Laetrile®,
                which has been linked to several deaths from overuse.
                Another commonly used medication that contains cyanide is
                nitroprusside and its excess use has been reported to cause cyanide
                toxicity and metabolic acidosis.
                The suffix `prusside' comes from the common name of hydrocyanic acid,
                prussic acid." (these fruits are part of the "prunus species"...)

                I'd just rather be safe then sorry when playing around with my fruit
                brandies John.

                Vino es Veritas,
                Jim

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Maraschino is an Italian liqueur made from Marasca/Maraska sour
                  cherries from the Dalmatian coast
                  (now Croatia). The ones you refer to are a U.S. confectionery
                  concoction from sweet desert cherries. John Wisbey lives in Italy.
                  wal

> [...]
                  > Jim

                  > > Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
                  > > wal
                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
                  > > stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
                  > > about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries
                  > juice
                  > > and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
                  > > flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it
                  with
                  > > about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through
                  cotton
                  > > wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left
                  are
                  > > like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.

                • Andrew
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                    > jamesonbeam1 wrote:
                    >
                    > Too funny, though im not sure about how
                    > pure his cherry brandy was regarding
                    > chemicals if he macerated the cherrys
                    > without removing the seeds.........
                    > <SNIP about cyanide>

                    I added the bit about the cherry seeds
                    because the cyanide isnt such a great
                    idea.

                    I do however think the funnier part is
                    that he though that my alcohol that was
                    made with a known strain of yeast (EC1118)
                    was bad because yeast is a chemical.

                    His alcohol didn't have that nasty yeast
                    chemical in it and was fermented just
                    with natural cherry goodness (and
                    what ever wild yeast and bacteria happen
                    to be on the cherries at the time)
                  • John Wisbey
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                      Thats right
                      John Wisbey

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@... > wrote:

                      > Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
                      > wal
                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@ >
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
                      > stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
                      > about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries
                      juice
                      > and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
                      > flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with
                      > about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton
                      > wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are
                      > like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
                      > > John Wisbey

                    • Robert Thomas
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                        Jim,
                        the amygdalin is found within the seeds, in the kernel. Providing the
                        seeds aren't broken, there is no problem with cyanide. In other words,
                        if you use blemish free fresh fruit, and don't mash them too hard,
                        you'll be fine.
                        I make a "quick" sloe gin every year, by soaking the frozen-and-thawed
                        sloes (saves pricking the skin) in gin for 2-3 weeks, decanting the
                        liquid, and adding sugar to the berries. Shake every day until the
                        sugar has liquefied, then pour off and mix with the infused gin.
                        I haven't died yet.
                        cheers
                        Rob.

                        Cheers,
                        Rob.

                        that gives answers, not web links.
                      • jamesonbeam1
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
                          Yes bob, as long as the seeds or pips are not cracked in apples,
                          cherries or Blackthorn (sloes - also part of the prunus genus -
                          "Prunus spinosa"), it is safe. However, the stones in apicots and
                          peaches are another matter. Small quantites of pips may be crushed
                          to flavor such liquors as Kirsch or Maraschino, etc.

                          Its just that every wine making book ive read over the years (more
                          then i want to count lol) says to remove the seeds, pips or stones
                          from all fruits in the prunus genus before boiling, fermenting or
                          maserating. Ive made blackberry and strawberry wines with whole
                          fruits and seeds in - but have always strained out the pulp and seeds
                          from the prunus fruits.

                          Im so sorry ya all if im being way too careful on this point and
                          appologize. Especially since i just read in Yahoo news today how -

                          "LUNG DISEASE - Consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger
                          from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn, according to
                          a warning letter to federal regulators from a doctor at a leading
                          lung research hospital."

                          and -

                          "KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have
                          sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god,
                          following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft, the
                          carrier said Tuesday."

                          So whoever it was on here that said "we all going to die of
                          something" -if it be making popcorn, riding in a goat blood spattered
                          757 or rolling your own alcohol or whatever, I guess i have to agree
                          all.....

                          Again my appologies - so Live for today - for tomorrow.....

                          Vino es Veritas,
                          Jim

                          - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>

                          ______________

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
                            Hi Jim,
                            being careful is never something to apologise for!
                            As for the pop corn/lung disease thing: diacetyl (of which there is a
                            heck of a lot in popcorn factories) is known to cause bemphingus
                            perfidans, a debilitating terminal autoimmune disease of the lungs.
                            Fortunately, it is so rare as to be practically non-existant. That
                            doesn't mean I'm going out to get a gallon of popcorn though: I hate
                            the stuff.

                            Cheers,
                            Rob.

                            http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
                          • Toni Smith
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                              hi Andrew
                              the only way that could happen i think is if they left it open to the
                              air for a bit so it took in some of the natural yeasts from the air. i
                              know some sourdough bread makers who have started their sourdough
                              starters in this way. grapes also seem to attract natural yeasts from
                              the air and maybe cherries do as well. don't quote me on the last one
                              but the first 2 i have come across.

                              toni

                              Andrew wrote:
                              > There stuff was much purer and better
                              > for you because they would just macerate
                              > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
                              > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
                              > of the things that makes it purer is that
                              > they didn't add any chemicals that are
                              > bad for you - like yeast :S
                            • Toni Smith
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                                if eaten only in quantities that it is found in the same amount of fruit
                                eg you eat the fruit as well and they are non-hybrid then it is safe to
                                eat the pits of these fruits. i wouldn't eat them from the hybrid
                                varieties as the hybrid forms of these fruits seem to still have the
                                cyanide without several other compounds which lock in the cyanide in a
                                way that it can pass through your system safely if not needed. it is
                                only in the case of cancer that it is needed by the body. also steaming
                                the pits (or other heat processes) also destroy those same things that
                                make it safe to eat.
                                no one seems to be telling that side of the story with any of this not
                                even the health food stores and the seeds have to be steamed for them to
                                sell them as a health food product.

                                twisted i know but true from what i have read on the subject and due to
                                various health issues i have had i have read quite widely on the subject
                                of natural health.

                                toni

                                jamesonbeam1 wrote:
                                > HOWEVER, please dont crush, maserate in alcohol or boil them with the
                                > seeds in. This would cause some cyanide to leach through - to wit:
                                >
                                > "In nature, cyanide is found in the seeds of the apple, peach, plum,
                                > apricot, cherry, and almond in the form of amygdalin. One hundred
                                > grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
                                > while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg. Apricot
                                > kernels have been promoted in health food stores as a medicinal
                                > product and have been linked to accidental cyanide poisonings in this
                                > country. Amygdalin is also sold as the pharmaceutical Laetrile®,
                                > which has been linked to several deaths from overuse.
                                > Another commonly used medication that contains cyanide is
                                > nitroprusside and its excess use has been reported to cause cyanide
                                > toxicity and metabolic acidosis.
                                > The suffix `prusside' comes from the common name of hydrocyanic acid,
                                > prussic acid." (these fruits are part of the "prunus species"...)
                                >
                                > I'd just rather be safe then sorry when playing around with my fruit
                                > brandies John.
                                >
                                > Vino es Veritas,
                                > Jim
                              • Sven Pfitt
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                                  Spontaneous fermentation with the yeast that reside on the surface of
                                  the cherries. The same occurs with grapes as you point out (and
                                  everything exposed to air).

                                  This is risky since bacteria are also present and you are relying on
                                  the yeast outgrowing the bacteria. Once the yeast take hold, the pH
                                  drops and makes the environment less hospitable to mold and bacteria
                                  (except a few acid loving bacteria like lacto and aceto).

                                  Sven