Re: Isopropyl Alcohol B.P.

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 2 3:02 PM
      At 07:37 AM 09/02/2007, you wrote:

      >Hi Sub,
      >I read recently that ethanol (our stuff) could be used to sterilise and
      >that it was most effective at 70%abv. I don,t think anyone would mind your
      >question, in fact I think it is a topic for this forum, as you can use
      >heads for this purpose. I make 70%abv for my wife,s grandfather to use as
      >a rub and he swears by it.

      I save heads, collecting them until I get a respectable amount. When I get
      enough, I then put them in a plastic spray bottle I bought from Wal-Mart
      and I shoot down flying insects with it. I call it my Booze Cannon.

      I especially like it for going after a fly in the kitchen, since I've
      always been a little uneasy about spraying poisons into the air over food
      storage/preparation areas.

      I used to use 91% Isopropyl alcohol, which works well. The 70% and 50%
      concentrations don't work for that.
    • toddk63
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 3 4:14 AM
        Booze cannon, I like that. In college we discovered that a can of
        Lysol (71% ethanol) and a BIC lighter worked great for flies and roaches.

        Sub.22, I would think the smell would go away if you let it evaporate,
        but try it out and see. Although not as effective, 91% would
        evaporate quicker than 70%. Something to consider.

        TK

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

        > At 07:37 AM 09/02/2007, you wrote:
        >
        > >Hi Sub,
        > >I read recently that ethanol (our stuff) could be used to sterilise
        and
        > >that it was most effective at 70%abv. I don,t think anyone would
        mind your
        > >question, in fact I think it is a topic for this forum, as you can use
        > >heads for this purpose. I make 70%abv for my wife,s grandfather to
        use as
        > >a rub and he swears by it.
        >
        > I save heads, collecting them until I get a respectable amount. When
        I get
        > enough, I then put them in a plastic spray bottle I bought from
        Wal-Mart
        > and I shoot down flying insects with it. I call it my Booze Cannon.
        >
        > I especially like it for going after a fly in the kitchen, since I've
        > always been a little uneasy about spraying poisons into the air over
        food
        > storage/preparation areas.
        >
        > I used to use 91% Isopropyl alcohol, which works well. The 70% and 50%
        > concentrations don't work for that.

      • rhodeseng
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 3 5:34 PM
          I put heads in a spray bottle and use to spray the shower after a
          bath.

          It keeps the soap scum from attaching to the tile and doors.

          cary

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

          > At 07:37 AM 09/02/2007, you wrote:
          >
          > >Hi Sub,
          > >I read recently that ethanol (our stuff) could be used to
          sterilise and
          > >that it was most effective at 70%abv. I don,t think anyone would
          mind your
          > >question, in fact I think it is a topic for this forum, as you can
          use
          > >heads for this purpose. I make 70%abv for my wife,s grandfather to
          use as
          > >a rub and he swears by it.
          >
          > I save heads, collecting them until I get a respectable amount.
          When I get
          > enough, I then put them in a plastic spray bottle I bought from Wal-
          Mart
          > and I shoot down flying insects with it. I call it my Booze Cannon.
          >
          > I especially like it for going after a fly in the kitchen, since
          I've
          > always been a little uneasy about spraying poisons into the air
          over food
          > storage/preparation areas.
          >
          > I used to use 91% Isopropyl alcohol, which works well. The 70% and
          50%
          > concentrations don't work for that.

        • Andrew
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 3 8:18 PM
            > rhodeseng wrote:
            >
            > I put heads in a spray bottle and use
            > to spray the shower after a bath.
            > It keeps the soap scum from attaching
            > to the tile and doors.

            I keep my heads and tails aside and then
            mix them together to feed a russian
            friend of mine that claims my ultra pure
            tasteless 95% stuff isn't potent enough
            and doesn't get him drunk :S

            I have not found anything to keep a
            polish bloke I know happy yet though.
            When he was younger he used to make
            much better cherry brandy that was
            infinitly better for your gut than the
            nasty stuff I make (apparently).

            There stuff was much purer and better
            for you because they would just macerate
            the cherries (without taking out seeds)
            and then let it ferment. Apparently one
            of the things that makes it purer is that
            they didn't add any chemicals that are
            bad for you - like yeast :S
          • Ian
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 3 8:30 PM
              Haha.. choke on that critic

              I keep my heads and tails aside and then
              mix them together to feed a russian
              friend of mine that claims my ultra pure
              tasteless 95% stuff isn't potent enough
              and doesn't get him drunk :S

              I have not found anything to keep a
              polish bloke I know happy yet though.
              When he was younger he used to make
              much better cherry brandy that was
              infinitly better for your gut than the
              nasty stuff I make (apparently) .

              There stuff was much purer and better
              for you because they would just macerate
              the cherries (without taking out seeds)
              and then let it ferment. Apparently one
              of the things that makes it purer is that
              they didn't add any chemicals that are
              bad for you - like yeast :S

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            • jamesonbeam1
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 4 2:10 AM
                Too funny, though im not sure about how pure his cherry brandy was
                regarding chemicals if he macerated the cherrys without removing the
                seeds......... To quote:

                "The kernels of prunus species (plums, cherries, apricots, apples)
                contain HCN - hydrocyanic acid, formerly known as prussic acid. 0.05g
                is a lethal dose for an adult. It has been recorded that a person
                died from eating a whole cup of apple pips as a treat on his
                birthday! Normally, when macerating these fruits in alcohol, the
                stones should be removed, although small amounts are used for
                flavoring purposes (e.g. Maraschino)." (from Home Distiller)

                LOL maybe thats his problem - next time throw a splash of cynaide in
                for flavor hehe (just joking).

                Vino es Veritas,
                Jim

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <andrewm1973@...> wrote:

                > > rhodeseng wrote:
                > >
                > > I put heads in a spray bottle and use
                > > to spray the shower after a bath.
                > > It keeps the soap scum from attaching
                > > to the tile and doors.
                >
                > I keep my heads and tails aside and then
                > mix them together to feed a russian
                > friend of mine that claims my ultra pure
                > tasteless 95% stuff isn't potent enough
                > and doesn't get him drunk :S
                >
                > I have not found anything to keep a
                > polish bloke I know happy yet though.
                > When he was younger he used to make
                > much better cherry brandy that was
                > infinitly better for your gut than the
                > nasty stuff I make (apparently).
                >
                > There stuff was much purer and better
                > for you because they would just macerate
                > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
                > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
                > of the things that makes it purer is that
                > they didn't add any chemicals that are
                > bad for you - like yeast :S

              • John Wisbey
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 4 5:23 AM
                  I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries juice and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
                  John Wisbey
                  > for you because they would just macerate
                  > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
                  > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
                  > of the things that makes it purer is that
                  > they didn't add any chemicals that are
                  > bad for you - like yeast :S

                • Brendan Keith
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 4 9:45 AM
                    Maraschino?

                    --
                    Brendan Keith
                    bkeith@...

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 4 10:24 AM
                      Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
                      wal
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
                      stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
                      about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries juice
                      and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
                      flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with
                      about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton
                      wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are
                      like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
                      > John Wisbey

                    • jamesonbeam1
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 4 10:54 AM
                        This sounds safe enough John with only a pound or so of cherries (and
                        those are Maraschino Cherries Wal)

                        "A maraschino cherry is a preserved, sweetened cherry, typically made
                        from light-colored sweet cherries such as the Royal Ann, Rainier, or
                        Gold varieties. The cherries are first preserved in a brine solution
                        (usually sulfur dioxide or alcohol), then soaked in a suspension of
                        food coloring, sugar syrup, artificial and natural flavors, and other
                        components. Maraschino cherries dyed red are typically almond-
                        flavored, (PROBABLY FROM THE CYANIDE WHICH SMELLS LIKE BITTER ALMOND
                        LOL - JB) while cherries dyed green are usually peppermint-flavored."

                        HOWEVER, please dont crush, maserate in alcohol or boil them with the
                        seeds in. This would cause some cyanide to leach through - to wit:

                        "In nature, cyanide is found in the seeds of the apple, peach, plum,
                        apricot, cherry, and almond in the form of amygdalin. One hundred
                        grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
                        while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg. Apricot
                        kernels have been promoted in health food stores as a medicinal
                        product and have been linked to accidental cyanide poisonings in this
                        country. Amygdalin is also sold as the pharmaceutical Laetrile®,
                        which has been linked to several deaths from overuse.
                        Another commonly used medication that contains cyanide is
                        nitroprusside and its excess use has been reported to cause cyanide
                        toxicity and metabolic acidosis.
                        The suffix `prusside' comes from the common name of hydrocyanic acid,
                        prussic acid." (these fruits are part of the "prunus species"...)

                        I'd just rather be safe then sorry when playing around with my fruit
                        brandies John.

                        Vino es Veritas,
                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 4 11:02 AM
                          Maraschino is an Italian liqueur made from Marasca/Maraska sour
                          cherries from the Dalmatian coast
                          (now Croatia). The ones you refer to are a U.S. confectionery
                          concoction from sweet desert cherries. John Wisbey lives in Italy.
                          wal

> [...]
                          > Jim

                          > > Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
                          > > wal
                          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
                          > > stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
                          > > about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries
                          > juice
                          > > and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
                          > > flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it
                          with
                          > > about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through
                          cotton
                          > > wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left
                          are
                          > > like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.

                        • Andrew
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 4 3:56 PM
                            > jamesonbeam1 wrote:
                            >
                            > Too funny, though im not sure about how
                            > pure his cherry brandy was regarding
                            > chemicals if he macerated the cherrys
                            > without removing the seeds.........
                            > <SNIP about cyanide>

                            I added the bit about the cherry seeds
                            because the cyanide isnt such a great
                            idea.

                            I do however think the funnier part is
                            that he though that my alcohol that was
                            made with a known strain of yeast (EC1118)
                            was bad because yeast is a chemical.

                            His alcohol didn't have that nasty yeast
                            chemical in it and was fermented just
                            with natural cherry goodness (and
                            what ever wild yeast and bacteria happen
                            to be on the cherries at the time)
                          • John Wisbey
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 4 7:15 PM
                              Thats right
                              John Wisbey

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@... > wrote:

                              > Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
                              > wal
                              > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@ >
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
                              > stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
                              > about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries
                              juice
                              > and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
                              > flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with
                              > about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton
                              > wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are
                              > like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
                              > > John Wisbey

                            • Robert Thomas
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 4 11:54 PM
                                Jim,
                                the amygdalin is found within the seeds, in the kernel. Providing the
                                seeds aren't broken, there is no problem with cyanide. In other words,
                                if you use blemish free fresh fruit, and don't mash them too hard,
                                you'll be fine.
                                I make a "quick" sloe gin every year, by soaking the frozen-and-thawed
                                sloes (saves pricking the skin) in gin for 2-3 weeks, decanting the
                                liquid, and adding sugar to the berries. Shake every day until the
                                sugar has liquefied, then pour off and mix with the infused gin.
                                I haven't died yet.
                                cheers
                                Rob.

                                Cheers,
                                Rob.

                                that gives answers, not web links.
                              • jamesonbeam1
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 5 6:24 AM
                                  Yes bob, as long as the seeds or pips are not cracked in apples,
                                  cherries or Blackthorn (sloes - also part of the prunus genus -
                                  "Prunus spinosa"), it is safe. However, the stones in apicots and
                                  peaches are another matter. Small quantites of pips may be crushed
                                  to flavor such liquors as Kirsch or Maraschino, etc.

                                  Its just that every wine making book ive read over the years (more
                                  then i want to count lol) says to remove the seeds, pips or stones
                                  from all fruits in the prunus genus before boiling, fermenting or
                                  maserating. Ive made blackberry and strawberry wines with whole
                                  fruits and seeds in - but have always strained out the pulp and seeds
                                  from the prunus fruits.

                                  Im so sorry ya all if im being way too careful on this point and
                                  appologize. Especially since i just read in Yahoo news today how -

                                  "LUNG DISEASE - Consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger
                                  from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn, according to
                                  a warning letter to federal regulators from a doctor at a leading
                                  lung research hospital."

                                  and -

                                  "KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have
                                  sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god,
                                  following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft, the
                                  carrier said Tuesday."

                                  So whoever it was on here that said "we all going to die of
                                  something" -if it be making popcorn, riding in a goat blood spattered
                                  757 or rolling your own alcohol or whatever, I guess i have to agree
                                  all.....

                                  Again my appologies - so Live for today - for tomorrow.....

                                  Vino es Veritas,
                                  Jim

                                  - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>

                                  ______________

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 5 11:54 PM
                                    Hi Jim,
                                    being careful is never something to apologise for!
                                    As for the pop corn/lung disease thing: diacetyl (of which there is a
                                    heck of a lot in popcorn factories) is known to cause bemphingus
                                    perfidans, a debilitating terminal autoimmune disease of the lungs.
                                    Fortunately, it is so rare as to be practically non-existant. That
                                    doesn't mean I'm going out to get a gallon of popcorn though: I hate
                                    the stuff.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Rob.

                                    http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
                                  • Toni Smith
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 6 5:30 AM
                                      hi Andrew
                                      the only way that could happen i think is if they left it open to the
                                      air for a bit so it took in some of the natural yeasts from the air. i
                                      know some sourdough bread makers who have started their sourdough
                                      starters in this way. grapes also seem to attract natural yeasts from
                                      the air and maybe cherries do as well. don't quote me on the last one
                                      but the first 2 i have come across.

                                      toni

                                      Andrew wrote:
                                      > There stuff was much purer and better
                                      > for you because they would just macerate
                                      > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
                                      > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
                                      > of the things that makes it purer is that
                                      > they didn't add any chemicals that are
                                      > bad for you - like yeast :S
                                    • Toni Smith
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 6 6:33 AM
                                        if eaten only in quantities that it is found in the same amount of fruit
                                        eg you eat the fruit as well and they are non-hybrid then it is safe to
                                        eat the pits of these fruits. i wouldn't eat them from the hybrid
                                        varieties as the hybrid forms of these fruits seem to still have the
                                        cyanide without several other compounds which lock in the cyanide in a
                                        way that it can pass through your system safely if not needed. it is
                                        only in the case of cancer that it is needed by the body. also steaming
                                        the pits (or other heat processes) also destroy those same things that
                                        make it safe to eat.
                                        no one seems to be telling that side of the story with any of this not
                                        even the health food stores and the seeds have to be steamed for them to
                                        sell them as a health food product.

                                        twisted i know but true from what i have read on the subject and due to
                                        various health issues i have had i have read quite widely on the subject
                                        of natural health.

                                        toni

                                        jamesonbeam1 wrote:
                                        > HOWEVER, please dont crush, maserate in alcohol or boil them with the
                                        > seeds in. This would cause some cyanide to leach through - to wit:
                                        >
                                        > "In nature, cyanide is found in the seeds of the apple, peach, plum,
                                        > apricot, cherry, and almond in the form of amygdalin. One hundred
                                        > grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
                                        > while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg. Apricot
                                        > kernels have been promoted in health food stores as a medicinal
                                        > product and have been linked to accidental cyanide poisonings in this
                                        > country. Amygdalin is also sold as the pharmaceutical Laetrile®,
                                        > which has been linked to several deaths from overuse.
                                        > Another commonly used medication that contains cyanide is
                                        > nitroprusside and its excess use has been reported to cause cyanide
                                        > toxicity and metabolic acidosis.
                                        > The suffix `prusside' comes from the common name of hydrocyanic acid,
                                        > prussic acid." (these fruits are part of the "prunus species"...)
                                        >
                                        > I'd just rather be safe then sorry when playing around with my fruit
                                        > brandies John.
                                        >
                                        > Vino es Veritas,
                                        > Jim
                                      • Sven Pfitt
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 6 10:09 AM
                                          Spontaneous fermentation with the yeast that reside on the surface of
                                          the cherries. The same occurs with grapes as you point out (and
                                          everything exposed to air).

                                          This is risky since bacteria are also present and you are relying on
                                          the yeast outgrowing the bacteria. Once the yeast take hold, the pH
                                          drops and makes the environment less hospitable to mold and bacteria
                                          (except a few acid loving bacteria like lacto and aceto).

                                          Sven