Isopropyl Alcohol B.P.

  • subsonic40grain
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
      Guys / gals, kind of off topic but perhaps someone out there can answer
      my question. My wife is starting to manufacture mixed essential oils
      (for skin products etc.) and has been advised to sterilise the bottles
      with the above alcohol by her consultant. Now I suggested using my pure
      ethanol (well, 92% ish) but this consultant guy is adamant that
      Isopropyl should be used and, 'what would your husband know about
      alcohol anyway?' LOL! So she bought a litre and hey ho now she is
      worried about the smell. I told her it would stink before she bought
      it, but what would I know eh?.... It is cheap to buy and maybe after
      evaporation no smell remains? I have searched a bit to find the answer
      on this and have not. I know I can just let some evaporate and then
      check but then why? I have this forum ;-) Does anyone out there have
      knowledge of this and is able advise me whether this is ok or whether
      she should stick to ethanol? I know it is kind of off topic but it is
      interesting for us Rum guys as we do make us of it. (Harry, if I have
      screwed up a thread here by all means slap my wrist and post telling
      people to mail me off forum). Cheers. Subsonic.
    • joe giffen

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
          This issue was discused recently here:

          Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) is best at 70%. Ethyl alcohol (ethanol) is best at 62%.

          Alcohol isn't as effective in the presence of organic matter, so clean the container well
          first.
        • Larry
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 2, 2007
            At 07:37 AM 09/02/2007, you wrote:

            >Hi Sub,
            >I read recently that ethanol (our stuff) could be used to sterilise and
            >that it was most effective at 70%abv. I don,t think anyone would mind your
            >question, in fact I think it is a topic for this forum, as you can use
            >heads for this purpose. I make 70%abv for my wife,s grandfather to use as
            >a rub and he swears by it.

            I save heads, collecting them until I get a respectable amount. When I get
            enough, I then put them in a plastic spray bottle I bought from Wal-Mart
            and I shoot down flying insects with it. I call it my Booze Cannon.

            I especially like it for going after a fly in the kitchen, since I've
            always been a little uneasy about spraying poisons into the air over food
            storage/preparation areas.

            I used to use 91% Isopropyl alcohol, which works well. The 70% and 50%
            concentrations don't work for that.
          • toddk63
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
              Booze cannon, I like that. In college we discovered that a can of
              Lysol (71% ethanol) and a BIC lighter worked great for flies and roaches.

              Sub.22, I would think the smell would go away if you let it evaporate,
              but try it out and see. Although not as effective, 91% would
              evaporate quicker than 70%. Something to consider.

              TK

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

              > At 07:37 AM 09/02/2007, you wrote:
              >
              > >Hi Sub,
              > >I read recently that ethanol (our stuff) could be used to sterilise
              and
              > >that it was most effective at 70%abv. I don,t think anyone would
              mind your
              > >question, in fact I think it is a topic for this forum, as you can use
              > >heads for this purpose. I make 70%abv for my wife,s grandfather to
              use as
              > >a rub and he swears by it.
              >
              > I save heads, collecting them until I get a respectable amount. When
              I get
              > enough, I then put them in a plastic spray bottle I bought from
              Wal-Mart
              > and I shoot down flying insects with it. I call it my Booze Cannon.
              >
              > I especially like it for going after a fly in the kitchen, since I've
              > always been a little uneasy about spraying poisons into the air over
              food
              > storage/preparation areas.
              >
              > I used to use 91% Isopropyl alcohol, which works well. The 70% and 50%
              > concentrations don't work for that.

            • rhodeseng
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
                I put heads in a spray bottle and use to spray the shower after a
                bath.

                It keeps the soap scum from attaching to the tile and doors.

                cary

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

                > At 07:37 AM 09/02/2007, you wrote:
                >
                > >Hi Sub,
                > >I read recently that ethanol (our stuff) could be used to
                sterilise and
                > >that it was most effective at 70%abv. I don,t think anyone would
                mind your
                > >question, in fact I think it is a topic for this forum, as you can
                use
                > >heads for this purpose. I make 70%abv for my wife,s grandfather to
                use as
                > >a rub and he swears by it.
                >
                > I save heads, collecting them until I get a respectable amount.
                When I get
                > enough, I then put them in a plastic spray bottle I bought from Wal-
                Mart
                > and I shoot down flying insects with it. I call it my Booze Cannon.
                >
                > I especially like it for going after a fly in the kitchen, since
                I've
                > always been a little uneasy about spraying poisons into the air
                over food
                > storage/preparation areas.
                >
                > I used to use 91% Isopropyl alcohol, which works well. The 70% and
                50%
                > concentrations don't work for that.

              • Andrew
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
                  > rhodeseng wrote:
                  >
                  > I put heads in a spray bottle and use
                  > to spray the shower after a bath.
                  > It keeps the soap scum from attaching
                  > to the tile and doors.

                  I keep my heads and tails aside and then
                  mix them together to feed a russian
                  friend of mine that claims my ultra pure
                  tasteless 95% stuff isn't potent enough
                  and doesn't get him drunk :S

                  I have not found anything to keep a
                  polish bloke I know happy yet though.
                  When he was younger he used to make
                  much better cherry brandy that was
                  infinitly better for your gut than the
                  nasty stuff I make (apparently).

                  There stuff was much purer and better
                  for you because they would just macerate
                  the cherries (without taking out seeds)
                  and then let it ferment. Apparently one
                  of the things that makes it purer is that
                  they didn't add any chemicals that are
                  bad for you - like yeast :S
                • Ian
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 3, 2007
                    Haha.. choke on that critic

                    I keep my heads and tails aside and then
                    mix them together to feed a russian
                    friend of mine that claims my ultra pure
                    tasteless 95% stuff isn't potent enough
                    and doesn't get him drunk :S

                    I have not found anything to keep a
                    polish bloke I know happy yet though.
                    When he was younger he used to make
                    much better cherry brandy that was
                    infinitly better for your gut than the
                    nasty stuff I make (apparently) .

                    There stuff was much purer and better
                    for you because they would just macerate
                    the cherries (without taking out seeds)
                    and then let it ferment. Apparently one
                    of the things that makes it purer is that
                    they didn't add any chemicals that are
                    bad for you - like yeast :S

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  • jamesonbeam1
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                      Too funny, though im not sure about how pure his cherry brandy was
                      regarding chemicals if he macerated the cherrys without removing the
                      seeds......... To quote:

                      "The kernels of prunus species (plums, cherries, apricots, apples)
                      contain HCN - hydrocyanic acid, formerly known as prussic acid. 0.05g
                      is a lethal dose for an adult. It has been recorded that a person
                      died from eating a whole cup of apple pips as a treat on his
                      birthday! Normally, when macerating these fruits in alcohol, the
                      stones should be removed, although small amounts are used for
                      flavoring purposes (e.g. Maraschino)." (from Home Distiller)

                      LOL maybe thats his problem - next time throw a splash of cynaide in
                      for flavor hehe (just joking).

                      Vino es Veritas,
                      Jim

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <andrewm1973@...> wrote:

                      > > rhodeseng wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I put heads in a spray bottle and use
                      > > to spray the shower after a bath.
                      > > It keeps the soap scum from attaching
                      > > to the tile and doors.
                      >
                      > I keep my heads and tails aside and then
                      > mix them together to feed a russian
                      > friend of mine that claims my ultra pure
                      > tasteless 95% stuff isn't potent enough
                      > and doesn't get him drunk :S
                      >
                      > I have not found anything to keep a
                      > polish bloke I know happy yet though.
                      > When he was younger he used to make
                      > much better cherry brandy that was
                      > infinitly better for your gut than the
                      > nasty stuff I make (apparently).
                      >
                      > There stuff was much purer and better
                      > for you because they would just macerate
                      > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
                      > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
                      > of the things that makes it purer is that
                      > they didn't add any chemicals that are
                      > bad for you - like yeast :S

                    • John Wisbey
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                        I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries juice and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
                        John Wisbey
                        > for you because they would just macerate
                        > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
                        > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
                        > of the things that makes it purer is that
                        > they didn't add any chemicals that are
                        > bad for you - like yeast :S

                      • Brendan Keith
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                          Maraschino?

                          --
                          Brendan Keith
                          bkeith@...

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                            Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
                            wal
                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
                            stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
                            about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries juice
                            and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
                            flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with
                            about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton
                            wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are
                            like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
                            > John Wisbey

                          • jamesonbeam1
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                              This sounds safe enough John with only a pound or so of cherries (and
                              those are Maraschino Cherries Wal)

                              "A maraschino cherry is a preserved, sweetened cherry, typically made
                              from light-colored sweet cherries such as the Royal Ann, Rainier, or
                              Gold varieties. The cherries are first preserved in a brine solution
                              (usually sulfur dioxide or alcohol), then soaked in a suspension of
                              food coloring, sugar syrup, artificial and natural flavors, and other
                              components. Maraschino cherries dyed red are typically almond-
                              flavored, (PROBABLY FROM THE CYANIDE WHICH SMELLS LIKE BITTER ALMOND
                              LOL - JB) while cherries dyed green are usually peppermint-flavored."

                              HOWEVER, please dont crush, maserate in alcohol or boil them with the
                              seeds in. This would cause some cyanide to leach through - to wit:

                              "In nature, cyanide is found in the seeds of the apple, peach, plum,
                              apricot, cherry, and almond in the form of amygdalin. One hundred
                              grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
                              while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg. Apricot
                              kernels have been promoted in health food stores as a medicinal
                              product and have been linked to accidental cyanide poisonings in this
                              country. Amygdalin is also sold as the pharmaceutical Laetrile®,
                              which has been linked to several deaths from overuse.
                              Another commonly used medication that contains cyanide is
                              nitroprusside and its excess use has been reported to cause cyanide
                              toxicity and metabolic acidosis.
                              The suffix `prusside' comes from the common name of hydrocyanic acid,
                              prussic acid." (these fruits are part of the "prunus species"...)

                              I'd just rather be safe then sorry when playing around with my fruit
                              brandies John.

                              Vino es Veritas,
                              Jim

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                                Maraschino is an Italian liqueur made from Marasca/Maraska sour
                                cherries from the Dalmatian coast
                                (now Croatia). The ones you refer to are a U.S. confectionery
                                concoction from sweet desert cherries. John Wisbey lives in Italy.
                                wal

> [...]
                                > Jim

                                > > Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
                                > > wal
                                > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
                                > > stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
                                > > about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries
                                > juice
                                > > and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
                                > > flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it
                                with
                                > > about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through
                                cotton
                                > > wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left
                                are
                                > > like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.

                              • Andrew
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                                  > jamesonbeam1 wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Too funny, though im not sure about how
                                  > pure his cherry brandy was regarding
                                  > chemicals if he macerated the cherrys
                                  > without removing the seeds.........
                                  > <SNIP about cyanide>

                                  I added the bit about the cherry seeds
                                  because the cyanide isnt such a great
                                  idea.

                                  I do however think the funnier part is
                                  that he though that my alcohol that was
                                  made with a known strain of yeast (EC1118)
                                  was bad because yeast is a chemical.

                                  His alcohol didn't have that nasty yeast
                                  chemical in it and was fermented just
                                  with natural cherry goodness (and
                                  what ever wild yeast and bacteria happen
                                  to be on the cherries at the time)
                                • John Wisbey
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                                    Thats right
                                    John Wisbey

                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@... > wrote:

                                    > Morello (Maraska) cherries perhaps?
                                    > wal
                                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@ >
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I put about half a kilo of maraschino cherries, complete with
                                    > stones, into a large jar and cover with sugar. Then leave it for
                                    > about 3 months until all the sugar has sucked out the cherries
                                    juice
                                    > and turned it into a fairly thick liquid with a strong cherry
                                    > flavour and very very sweet. I then rack of the liquid, mix it with
                                    > about 50% very strong neutral alcohol and the filter through cotton
                                    > wool. It turns into not a bad cherry brandy. The cherries left are
                                    > like small raisins and make quite a nice picker here and there.
                                    > > John Wisbey

                                  • Robert Thomas
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
                                      Jim,
                                      the amygdalin is found within the seeds, in the kernel. Providing the
                                      seeds aren't broken, there is no problem with cyanide. In other words,
                                      if you use blemish free fresh fruit, and don't mash them too hard,
                                      you'll be fine.
                                      I make a "quick" sloe gin every year, by soaking the frozen-and-thawed
                                      sloes (saves pricking the skin) in gin for 2-3 weeks, decanting the
                                      liquid, and adding sugar to the berries. Shake every day until the
                                      sugar has liquefied, then pour off and mix with the infused gin.
                                      I haven't died yet.
                                      cheers
                                      Rob.

                                      Cheers,
                                      Rob.

                                      that gives answers, not web links.
                                    • jamesonbeam1
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
                                        Yes bob, as long as the seeds or pips are not cracked in apples,
                                        cherries or Blackthorn (sloes - also part of the prunus genus -
                                        "Prunus spinosa"), it is safe. However, the stones in apicots and
                                        peaches are another matter. Small quantites of pips may be crushed
                                        to flavor such liquors as Kirsch or Maraschino, etc.

                                        Its just that every wine making book ive read over the years (more
                                        then i want to count lol) says to remove the seeds, pips or stones
                                        from all fruits in the prunus genus before boiling, fermenting or
                                        maserating. Ive made blackberry and strawberry wines with whole
                                        fruits and seeds in - but have always strained out the pulp and seeds
                                        from the prunus fruits.

                                        Im so sorry ya all if im being way too careful on this point and
                                        appologize. Especially since i just read in Yahoo news today how -

                                        "LUNG DISEASE - Consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger
                                        from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn, according to
                                        a warning letter to federal regulators from a doctor at a leading
                                        lung research hospital."

                                        and -

                                        "KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have
                                        sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god,
                                        following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft, the
                                        carrier said Tuesday."

                                        So whoever it was on here that said "we all going to die of
                                        something" -if it be making popcorn, riding in a goat blood spattered
                                        757 or rolling your own alcohol or whatever, I guess i have to agree
                                        all.....

                                        Again my appologies - so Live for today - for tomorrow.....

                                        Vino es Veritas,
                                        Jim

                                        - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>

                                        ______________

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 5, 2007
                                          Hi Jim,
                                          being careful is never something to apologise for!
                                          As for the pop corn/lung disease thing: diacetyl (of which there is a
                                          heck of a lot in popcorn factories) is known to cause bemphingus
                                          perfidans, a debilitating terminal autoimmune disease of the lungs.
                                          Fortunately, it is so rare as to be practically non-existant. That
                                          doesn't mean I'm going out to get a gallon of popcorn though: I hate
                                          the stuff.

                                          Cheers,
                                          Rob.

                                          http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
                                        • Toni Smith
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                                            hi Andrew
                                            the only way that could happen i think is if they left it open to the
                                            air for a bit so it took in some of the natural yeasts from the air. i
                                            know some sourdough bread makers who have started their sourdough
                                            starters in this way. grapes also seem to attract natural yeasts from
                                            the air and maybe cherries do as well. don't quote me on the last one
                                            but the first 2 i have come across.

                                            toni

                                            Andrew wrote:
                                            > There stuff was much purer and better
                                            > for you because they would just macerate
                                            > the cherries (without taking out seeds)
                                            > and then let it ferment. Apparently one
                                            > of the things that makes it purer is that
                                            > they didn't add any chemicals that are
                                            > bad for you - like yeast :S
                                          • Toni Smith
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                                              if eaten only in quantities that it is found in the same amount of fruit
                                              eg you eat the fruit as well and they are non-hybrid then it is safe to
                                              eat the pits of these fruits. i wouldn't eat them from the hybrid
                                              varieties as the hybrid forms of these fruits seem to still have the
                                              cyanide without several other compounds which lock in the cyanide in a
                                              way that it can pass through your system safely if not needed. it is
                                              only in the case of cancer that it is needed by the body. also steaming
                                              the pits (or other heat processes) also destroy those same things that
                                              make it safe to eat.
                                              no one seems to be telling that side of the story with any of this not
                                              even the health food stores and the seeds have to be steamed for them to
                                              sell them as a health food product.

                                              twisted i know but true from what i have read on the subject and due to
                                              various health issues i have had i have read quite widely on the subject
                                              of natural health.

                                              toni

                                              jamesonbeam1 wrote:
                                              > HOWEVER, please dont crush, maserate in alcohol or boil them with the
                                              > seeds in. This would cause some cyanide to leach through - to wit:
                                              >
                                              > "In nature, cyanide is found in the seeds of the apple, peach, plum,
                                              > apricot, cherry, and almond in the form of amygdalin. One hundred
                                              > grams of moist peach seed contains 88 mg of cyanide,
                                              > while an equivalent amount of apricot seed holds 217 mg. Apricot
                                              > kernels have been promoted in health food stores as a medicinal
                                              > product and have been linked to accidental cyanide poisonings in this
                                              > country. Amygdalin is also sold as the pharmaceutical Laetrile®,
                                              > which has been linked to several deaths from overuse.
                                              > Another commonly used medication that contains cyanide is
                                              > nitroprusside and its excess use has been reported to cause cyanide
                                              > toxicity and metabolic acidosis.
                                              > The suffix `prusside' comes from the common name of hydrocyanic acid,
                                              > prussic acid." (these fruits are part of the "prunus species"...)
                                              >
                                              > I'd just rather be safe then sorry when playing around with my fruit
                                              > brandies John.
                                              >
                                              > Vino es Veritas,
                                              > Jim
                                            • Sven Pfitt
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
                                                Spontaneous fermentation with the yeast that reside on the surface of
                                                the cherries. The same occurs with grapes as you point out (and
                                                everything exposed to air).

                                                This is risky since bacteria are also present and you are relying on
                                                the yeast outgrowing the bacteria. Once the yeast take hold, the pH
                                                drops and makes the environment less hospitable to mold and bacteria
                                                (except a few acid loving bacteria like lacto and aceto).

                                                Sven