Re: Producing Vodka at Home

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31 3:48 PM

      > On Purification and aromatization of Vodka -
      >
      > "There are several ways to make Vodka purer. The simplest one is to
      > filtrate it. Vodka is usually filtered with activated carbon. This
      > element is a very good absorbent so it takes out all the bad stuff
      > from Vodka. If you filter 40% Vodka for three times you can get a
      > 100% alcohol. The scientist named Mendeleyev showed it in his
      > experiments."
      >
      > (Dang - after all that hard work calculating plates and reflux
      > percents - when all i needed was charcoal - grrrrrrr- got to meet
      > this Dr. Mendleyev dude for real... Maybe Harry wasnt wrong when he
      > said some filter their Vodka with diamonds hehe)

      World's Most Expensive Vodka

       Nandini, Delhi, INDIA
      Feb 25 2006, 2:41 am GMT

      World's Most Expensive VodkaDiaka Vodka, is the world's most expensive vodka. The vodka comes in a bottle made with crystals, but this is not what makes it most expensive. It's actually the filtration process of the vodka that makes it exclusive. The Diaka Vodka is made in Poland where they use nearly one hundred diamonds of up to one carat in size, to filter the spirit resulting in vodka with unsurpassed clarity and smoothness. The diamond-vodka is only available by TransBorder Spirits in USA.

      via StrangeNewProducts

      As for what Russians do to make vodka....aren't they the ones dropping like flies after drinking that stuff?...

      http://tinyurl.com/2ymttr

    • Toni Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2007
        well if i remember correctly (and i may easilly be mistaken) i read
        somewhere that diamonds are formed from carbon under extreme heat and
        pressure but i really do not think that they could do it using diamonds
        as they repel water even in their raw state and is part of how the early
        diamond miners were able to find the smaller ones in the wash as they
        had almost an oily quality when water was sprayed over them on the
        sorting table where other types of stones did not and earth just turned
        to mud.

        toni

        Harry wrote:

        > World's Most Expensive Vodka
        >
        > Nandini <http://nandini.instablogs.com/>, Delhi, INDIA
        > Feb 25 2006, 2:41 am GMT
        >

        > World's Most Expensive VodkaDiaka Vodka, is the world's most expensive
        > vodka. The vodka comes in a bottle made with crystals, but this is not
        > what makes it most expensive. It's actually the filtration process of
        > the vodka that makes it exclusive. The Diaka Vodka is made in Poland
        > where they use nearly one hundred diamonds of up to one carat in size,
        > to filter the spirit resulting in vodka with unsurpassed clarity and
        > smoothness. The diamond-vodka is only available by TransBorder Spirits
        > in USA.
        >
        > via StrangeNewProducts
        > <http://www.strangenewproducts.com/2006/02/diamond-filtered-vodka.html>
        >

        > As for what Russians do to make vodka....aren't they the ones dropping
        > like flies after drinking that stuff?...
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/2ymttr

      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6, 2007
          LOL, No Toni your 100% correct - diamonds cannot filtrate anything -
          Harry was just proving he was correct from a quip i had made in an
          earlier posting. He had also stated earlier - Its all for
          advertising smaltz lol - he's right and it is the world's most
          expensive Vodka hehe.

          But on a side note, the new state-of-art Distillers in Russia -
          "Russian Standard" uses quartz for filtration of their best brand -

          "Imperia is the ultimate distillation of years of experience and
          vodka science, not to mention a dash of Russian Standard élan,
          brought together to create the definitive luxury vodka of its era.

          ****Using ultra pure soft glacial waters from the north, an eight-
          times distillation process and our exclusive -crystal quartz-
          filtration, Imperia is an exceptionally clear, velvety-smooth spirit
          reflecting the seductive dynamism of modern Russia.*****"

          Quite interesting, that does make sense due to quartz internal
          crystal flake structure - check it out -
          http://www.russianstandard.com/history/

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Toni Smith <tonimarie@...> wrote:

          > well if i remember correctly (and i may easilly be mistaken) i read
          > somewhere that diamonds are formed from carbon under extreme heat
          and
          > pressure but i really do not think that they could do it using
          diamonds
          > as they repel water even in their raw state and is part of how the
          early
          > diamond miners were able to find the smaller ones in the wash as
          they
          > had almost an oily quality when water was sprayed over them on the
          > sorting table where other types of stones did not and earth just
          turned
          > to mud.
          >
          > toni
          >
          > Harry wrote:
          > >

          > > World's Most Expensive Vodka
          > >
          > > Nandini <http://nandini.instablogs.com/>, Delhi, INDIA
          > > Feb 25 2006, 2:41 am GMT
          > >

          > > World's Most Expensive VodkaDiaka Vodka, is the world's most
          expensive
          > > vodka. The vodka comes in a bottle made with crystals, but this
          is not
          > > what makes it most expensive. It's actually the filtration
          process of
          > > the vodka that makes it exclusive. The Diaka Vodka is made in
          Poland
          > > where they use nearly one hundred diamonds of up to one carat in
          size,
          > > to filter the spirit resulting in vodka with unsurpassed clarity
          and
          > > smoothness. The diamond-vodka is only available by TransBorder
          Spirits
          > > in USA.
          > >
          > > via StrangeNewProducts
          > > <http://www.strangenewproducts.com/2006/02/diamond-filtered-
          vodka.html>

          > > As for what Russians do to make vodka....aren't they the ones
          dropping
          > > like flies after drinking that stuff?...
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/2ymttr

        • Sven Pfitt
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2007
            The vodka makers seem to all think they have to tout a unique process
            to distinguish themselves from the rest.

            Diamonds, Quartz, ...

            BAH!

            Eight times distilled AND Rectified (fancy name for reflux
            distillation) plus charcoal filtration (Twice!)should yield a pretty
            pure and clear vodka as it.

            Sven

            > LOL, No Toni your 100% correct - diamonds cannot filtrate anything -

            > Harry was just proving he was correct from a quip i had made in an
            > earlier posting. He had also stated earlier - Its all for
            > advertising smaltz lol - he's right and it is the world's most
            > expensive Vodka hehe.
            >
            > But on a side note, the new state-of-art Distillers in Russia -
            > "Russian Standard" uses quartz for filtration of their best brand -

            > "Imperia is the ultimate distillation of years of experience and
            > vodka science, not to mention a dash of Russian Standard élan,
            > brought together to create the definitive luxury vodka of its era.
            >
            > ****Using ultra pure soft glacial waters from the north, an eight-
            > times distillation process and our exclusive -crystal quartz-
            > filtration, Imperia is an exceptionally clear, velvety-smooth
            spirit
            > reflecting the seductive dynamism of modern Russia.*****"
            >
            > Quite interesting, that does make sense due to quartz internal
            > crystal flake structure - check it out -
            > http://www.russianstandard.com/history/
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            > Jim

            ...snip....
          • jamesonbeam1
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 6, 2007
              Me thinks so too - my only question is since when does Modern day
              Russia even remotely think they can say "reflecting the seductive
              dynamism of modern Russia"?????? And what the heck is "Seductive
              Dynamism" anyways - an XXX rated video???? :-)))))

              jim.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...>
              wrote:

              > The vodka makers seem to all think they have to tout a unique
              process
              > to distinguish themselves from the rest.
              >
              > Diamonds, Quartz, ...
              >
              > BAH!
              >
              > Eight times distilled AND Rectified (fancy name for reflux
              > distillation) plus charcoal filtration (Twice!)should yield a
              pretty
              > pure and clear vodka as it.
              >
              > Sven
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > LOL, No Toni your 100% correct - diamonds cannot filtrate
              anything -

              > > Harry was just proving he was correct from a quip i had made in
              an
              > > earlier posting. He had also stated earlier - Its all for
              > > advertising smaltz lol - he's right and it is the world's most
              > > expensive Vodka hehe.
              > >
              > > But on a side note, the new state-of-art Distillers in Russia -
              > > "Russian Standard" uses quartz for filtration of their best
              brand -

              > > "Imperia is the ultimate distillation of years of experience and
              > > vodka science, not to mention a dash of Russian Standard élan,
              > > brought together to create the definitive luxury vodka of its era.
              > >
              > > ****Using ultra pure soft glacial waters from the north, an eight-
              > > times distillation process and our exclusive -crystal quartz-
              > > filtration, Imperia is an exceptionally clear, velvety-smooth
              > spirit
              > > reflecting the seductive dynamism of modern Russia.*****"
              > >
              > > Quite interesting, that does make sense due to quartz internal
              > > crystal flake structure - check it out -
              > > http://www.russianstandard.com/history/
              > >
              > > Vino es Veritas,
              > > Jim
              > >
              > ...snip....

            • subsonic40grain
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 6, 2007
                Sven,

                I agree 100%. The funny thing is, these people can produce and sell
                to a market that could probably not really tell a good Vodka from
                anything else.

                To all of us in this unique and,'above everything' group, Vodka is
                really 'nothing' - but really, and herein lies the pun, all of us
                with out great stills /skills can sit back and quietly laugh about
                these people. Sometimes it is a good thing to do that, not in a bad
                way mind, we must never do that.
                When all of these people have gone someone will be runing a nice
                simple column and making something better, that really is 'nothing'
                and there will be but a few that appreciate it.

                Oh, did you read this? Ok, I guess you one of the few
                then...................... Its good innit?

                Subsonic.