Heating Elements unsafe?

  • bbornais
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 29 6:28 AM
      I went to purchase a heating element at Canadian Tire yesterday to pick
      up a heating element to constuct my continuous beer stripper system and
      noticed that on the back of the packages there was one of those
      California warnings saying that there are materials in the element that
      have been known to cause cancer and birth defects in the State of
      California.

      I assume there should not be such materials in the construction of
      these things, but I did not purchase the element. Now I wonder about my
      water heater pot...

      Any ideas what they are talking about?

      Anyone know what elements are safe?

      Bryan (Stillhead)
    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 29 9:39 AM
        LOL - Knowing California - they put that crap on everything - even
        baby food packages......

        Just be careful if its an internal element to just use thin warts and
        not grain based - otherwise its a bitch to clean.....

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...> wrote:

        > I went to purchase a heating element at Canadian Tire yesterday to
        pick
        > up a heating element to constuct my continuous beer stripper system
        and
        > noticed that on the back of the packages there was one of those
        > California warnings saying that there are materials in the element
        that
        > have been known to cause cancer and birth defects in the State of
        > California.
        >
        > I assume there should not be such materials in the construction of
        > these things, but I did not purchase the element. Now I wonder
        about my
        > water heater pot...
        >
        > Any ideas what they are talking about?
        >
        > Anyone know what elements are safe?
        >
        > Bryan (Stillhead)

      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 29 10:14 AM
          Sorry its worts - not warts (even though some of the stuff ive tried
          in mash did give me warts me thinks lol). But on a serious side -
          burnt stuff can "contribute" to cancer which is probably what they
          are warning about - there was an article I read in a Medical Mag
          somewhere about charcoal on steaks etc., that can contribute to
          cancer - so again, if your going to use internal elements - be
          careful because anything burnt on the element gets into the
          distillation and is hard to get rid of.

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jameson (Jim) Beam

          > LOL - Knowing California - they put that crap on everything - even
          > baby food packages......
          >
          > Just be careful if its an internal element to just use thin warts
          and
          > not grain based - otherwise its a bitch to clean.....
          >

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I went to purchase a heating element at Canadian Tire yesterday
          > pick
          > > up a heating element to constuct my continuous beer stripper
          system
          > and
          > > noticed that on the back of the packages there was one of those
          > > California warnings saying that there are materials in the
          element
          > that
          > > have been known to cause cancer and birth defects in the State of
          > > California.
          > >
          > > I assume there should not be such materials in the construction
          of
          > > these things, but I did not purchase the element. Now I wonder
          > about my
          > > water heater pot...
          > >
          > > Any ideas what they are talking about?
          > >
          > > Anyone know what elements are safe?
          > >
          > > Bryan (Stillhead)

        • califshiner
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 29 9:37 PM
            -You would think, if it's OK for my hot water..huh? Recently bought
            stainless steel fittings from McMaster-Carr catalogue and they came
            with the same "known to cause cancer and birth defects" warning. Guess
            we're all gonna' die of something...T

            -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...> wrote:

            > I went to purchase a heating element at Canadian Tire yesterday
            Snip==
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 29 10:02 PM
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "califshiner" <califshiner@...>
              wrote:

              > -You would think, if it's OK for my hot water..huh? Recently bought
              > stainless steel fittings from McMaster-Carr catalogue and they came
              > with the same "known to cause cancer and birth defects" warning.
              Guess
              > we're all gonna' die of something...T

              Yeah, & don't breathe the air outside either. It's fulla toxics. Mind
              you, If ya don't breathe then I'm guessin' ya might have a wee bit o'
              trouble stayin' upright.

            • jamesonbeam1
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 30 4:23 AM
                Ya got that right Harry, Los Angeles, CA has the most polluted air in
                the Country - as I said they put those warnings on everything under the
                sun - oh yea Including the SUN...... rotflmao

                wrote:

                > -You would think, if it's OK for my hot water..huh? Recently bought
                > stainless steel fittings from McMaster-Carr catalogue and they came
                > with the same "known to cause cancer and birth defects" warning.
                Guess
                > we're all gonna' die of something...T
                >

                > -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I went to purchase a heating element at Canadian Tire yesterday
                > Snip==

              • joe giffen
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 30 5:07 AM
                  Hi,
                   I feel it is my duty to warn you that if you eat more than 12 of these you may get ill.

                  wrote:

                  > -You would think, if it's OK for my hot water..huh? Recently bought
                  > stainless steel fittings from McMaster-Carr catalogue and they came
                  > with the same "known to cause cancer and birth defects" warning.
                  Guess
                  > we're all gonna' die of something... T
                  >

                  > -- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I went to purchase a heating element at Canadian Tire yesterday
                  > Snip==

                  Regards
                  Joe

                • subsonic40grain
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 30 5:20 AM
                    > Hi,
                    > I feel it is my duty to warn you that if you eat more than 12 of
                    these you may get ill.

                    Ha Ha that is so funny! But check this out, not only does drinking
                    increase your risk of cancer, so does oral sex! What is the world
                    coming too eh? In fact, everything I do is likely to kill me.

                    http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live
                    /article2287520.ece

                    Well, forget that, I am going to keep on stilling boozing and .. ;-P
                    Subsonic
                  • joe giffen
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 30 5:34 AM
                      Hi,
                      I,m married ,what is oral sex?.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 30 5:34 AM
                        Hi,

                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 30 6:05 AM
                          Hi Sub,
                          I got it now , I have spoken to a lot of pricks and it could make you sick. I also heard today from a well respected source that breathing is dangerous. I gotta get back to testing my booze.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 30 6:21 AM
                            Well Joe, One of the blessings that President Bill Clinton gave to us
                            citizens of the US of A was that "oral sex" is not considered sex -
                            so your safe.. lol (whether it causes cancer is another question...)

                            During his Impeachment proceedings he delcared he never had sex with
                            Monica Lewinsky - to quote:

                            "For the purposes of this deposition, a person engages in sexual
                            relations when the person knowingly engages in or causes contact with
                            the genitalia, anus, groin, breast, inner thigh, or buttocks of any
                            person with an intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any
                            person."

                            "The president, for example, said that sexual intercourse was
                            necessary to have a "sexual affair." He gave a denial of a "sexual
                            relationship" with Lewinsky. In other words, Mr. Clinton argued that
                            oral sex does not constitute sexual relations with a woman."

                            Futhermore,

                            "The president told the Starr grand jury that because he received
                            oral sex from Lewinsky, he did not believe he caused contact between
                            the two."

                            (from:)
                            http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998/09/11/archive/main17265.shtml

                            So I to am totally confused as to what Oral Sex consists of Joe (SIGH)

                            Vino es Veritas,
                            Jim

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            > I,m married ,what is oral sex?.
                            >
                            > subsonic40grain <subsonic40grain@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hi,
                            > > I feel it is my duty to warn you that if you eat more than 12 of
                            > these you may get ill.
                            >
                            > Ha Ha that is so funny! But check this out, not only does drinking
                            > increase your risk of cancer, so does oral sex! What is the world
                            > coming too eh? In fact, everything I do is likely to kill me.

                            http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_liv
                            > /article2287520.ece
                            >
                            > Well, forget that, I am going to keep on stilling boozing and .. ;-
                            > Subsonic
                            >

                            > Regards
                            > Joe
                            >
                            > ---------------------------------
                            > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
                            this month.

                          • Tony T
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 30 6:34 AM
                              --- joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              > I,m married ,what is oral sex?.

                              When you're married, oral sex is where you talk about
                              it but never do it :-)

                              ************************
                              Tony Turner
                              tonkyman1979@...
                              ************************

                            • joe giffen
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 30 7:00 AM
                                Hi Tony,
                                I don,t think that my wife and I talk a lot about sex, however she told me recently that she was pregnant, I of course put this down to the quality of my alcohol, nothing to do with talk.

                                Tony T <tonkyman1979@...> wrote:

                                --- joe giffen <joegiffen@yahoo. co.uk> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                > I,m married ,what is oral sex?.

                                When you're married, oral sex is where you talk about
                                it but never do it :-)

                                ************ ********* ***
                                Tony Turner
                                tonkyman1979@ yahoo.com
                                ************ ********* ***

                                http://smallbusines s.yahoo.com/ webhosting

                                Regards
                                Joe

                              • jamesonbeam1
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 30 7:49 AM
                                  Oh, one more thing Joe, Clinton ranks right up there with Sir Winston
                                  Churchill in my book - again to quote:

                                  "The Starr allegations are based on Lewinsky's grand jury testimony.
                                  Lewinsky said her Oval Office encounters with the president often
                                  included fondling and kissing as well as oral sex. On one occasion,
                                  she said, the president inserted a cigar into her vagina." (same
                                  source)

                                  Sir Winston Churchill's famous quote is:

                                  "A Woman is just a Woman, But, A Good Cigar is a Smoke" (which can
                                  cause cancer and also contains Carcinogens - just like oral sex LOL)

                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Sub,
                                  > I got it now , I have spoken to a lot of pricks and it could make
                                  you sick. I also heard today from a well respected source that
                                  breathing is dangerous. I gotta get back to testing my booze.

                                  > subsonic40grain <subsonic40grain@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Hi,
                                  > > I feel it is my duty to warn you that if you eat more than 12 of
                                  > these you may get ill.
                                  >
                                  > Ha Ha that is so funny! But check this out, not only does drinking
                                  > increase your risk of cancer, so does oral sex! What is the world
                                  > coming too eh? In fact, everything I do is likely to kill me.

                                  http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_liv
                                  > /article2287520.ece
                                  >
                                  > Well, forget that, I am going to keep on stilling boozing and .. ;-
                                  > Subsonic
                                  >

                                  > Regards
                                  > Joe
                                  >
                                  > ---------------------------------
                                  > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
                                  this month.

                                • Robert Hubble
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 30 8:02 AM
                                    In the bright light of our examination of sexual behavior, I need to pass on
                                    a form of sex I just learned about, hallway sex. Hallway sex is typically
                                    practiced by married couples, and works pretty much like this:

                                    The partner initiating sexual contact stands at one end of a hallway, and
                                    shouts, "F***you!"

                                    The other partner, if receptive, shouts, "F*** you too!"

                                    Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                                    >From: Tony T <tonkyman1979@...>
                                    >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                    >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Heating Elements unsafe?
                                    >Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 06:34:41 -0700 (PDT)
                                    >

                                    >--- joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Hi,
                                    > > I,m married ,what is oral sex?.
                                    >

                                    >When you're married, oral sex is where you talk about
                                    >it but never do it :-)
                                    >

                                    >************************
                                    >Tony Turner
                                    >tonkyman1979@...
                                    >************************

                                    >Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all
                                    >the tools to get online.
                                    >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting

                                    Puzzles, trivia teasers, word scrambles and more. Play for your chance to
                                    win! http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink
                                  • Robert Hubble
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 30 8:14 AM
                                      Now that the gag is trashed, finishing it is pathetic, and so, then, am I.

                                      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                                      >From: "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...>
                                      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                      >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Heating Elements unsafe?
                                      >Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:02:24 -0700
                                      >
                                      >In the bright light of our examination of sexual behavior, I need to pass
                                      >on
                                      >a form of sex I just learned about, hallway sex. Hallway sex is typically
                                      >practiced by married couples, and works pretty much like this:
                                      >
                                      >The partner initiating sexual contact stands at one end of a hallway, and
                                      >shouts, "F***you!"
                                      >
                                      >The other partner, if receptive, shouts, "F*** you too!"

                                      Warming to the sex, the first partner cries, "NO, f*** YOU, too!"

                                      At this point innovation may kick in, and a partner might cry, "F*** you and
                                      the horse you rode in on! (opening some interesting inter-species
                                      possibilities)

                                      Another response might be, "Take a fying f*** at a rolling doughnut!"
                                      introducing pastry as sexual objects.

                                      The sex continues to consummation, whatever THAT is. I hope you've found
                                      this instructive.

                                      (and sorry about th first botched reply)

                                      >Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                                      >

                                      > >From: Tony T <tonkyman1979@...>
                                      > >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                      > >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Heating Elements unsafe?
                                      > >Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 06:34:41 -0700 (PDT)
                                      > >

                                      > >--- joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > Hi,
                                      > > > I,m married ,what is oral sex?.
                                      > >

                                      > >When you're married, oral sex is where you talk about
                                      > >it but never do it :-)
                                      > >

                                      > >************************
                                      > >Tony Turner
                                      > >tonkyman1979@...
                                      > >************************
                                      > >

                                      > >____________________________________________________________________________________
                                      > >Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you
                                      >all
                                      > >the tools to get online.
                                      > >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting

                                      >Puzzles, trivia teasers, word scrambles and more. Play for your chance to
                                      >win! http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink

                                      Now you can see trouble�before he arrives
                                      http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_protection_0507
                                    • joe giffen
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 30 8:32 AM
                                        Hey Bob,
                                        I hope you are not sad. I think that we members were just having a bit of fun( to any lady members  please forgive our nonsense) . To be honest I find that having tested  my product  my mind becomes very clear, this sometimes does not last until the the following morning.
                                        Be happy.

                                        FAQ, Howto distil etc. :
                                        http://homedistiller.org
                                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        <*> Your email settings:
                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                        <*> To change settings via email:
                                        mailto:Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                        mailto:Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        Regards
                                        Joe

                                      • jamesonbeam1
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 30 8:53 AM
                                          Yes, me too - please accept our appologies - lets git on to the real
                                          stuff at hand.... JB

                                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                                          > Hey Bob,
                                          > I hope you are not sad. I think that we members were just having a
                                          bit of fun( to any lady members please forgive our nonsense) . To be
                                          honest I find that having tested my product my mind becomes very
                                          clear, this sometimes does not last until the the following morning.
                                          > Be happy.
                                          >
                                          > Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
                                          > Now that the gag is trashed, finishing it is pathetic, and so,
                                          then, am I.

                                          > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                                        • tyler_97355
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 30 11:44 AM
                                            It has been a while since i logged onto the forum, so I thought i
                                            would check it out today, and try to catch up on what i missed. Hey,
                                            it looks like someone has a heating element question. Nope, I guess
                                            this just turned into a sex forum while I was gone. Seriously guys, I
                                            am suprised that Harry (i am assuming is still the admin) has not
                                            slapped the crap out of each and everyone of you for going on about an
                                            off topic subject.

                                            I have a sex life too, and i have many sexual joke that I could share,
                                            but this isn't the place for it. Please try to keep your messages on
                                            the "Distilling" topic, or take it to a different forum. Thank you.

                                            -Tyler
                                          • Robert Hubble
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 30 2:51 PM
                                              Uh oh...

                                              I thought *I* was just having a bit of fun, too. If I offended the list, I
                                              apologize. I'm certainly not sad.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 30 2:55 PM
                                                Uh oh...

> [...]

                                                > > >************************
                                                > > >Tony Turner
                                                > > >tonkyman1979@...
                                                > > >************************
                                                > > >

                                                > >____________________________________________________________________________________
                                                > > >Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you
                                                > >all
                                                > > >the tools to get online.
                                                > > >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting

                                                > >Puzzles, trivia teasers, word scrambles and more. Play for your chance to
                                                > >win! http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink

                                                >FAQ, Howto distil etc. :
                                                >http://homedistiller.org
                                                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                >

                                                >Regards
                                                >Joe
                                                >
                                                >---------------------------------
                                                > Yahoo! Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Tryit now.

                                                Messenger Caf� � open for fun 24/7. Hot games, cool activities served daily.
                                                Visit now. http://cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_AugHMtagline
                                              • sonum norbu
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 30 8:56 PM
                                                  Oral sex is when one talks about rather than engaging in it. Believe me, I know!!!!

                                                  blanik

                                                  SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                                                  http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

                                                  Powered by Outblaze
                                                • Toni Smith
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 6, 2007
                                                    hi Joe
                                                    absolutely no offense taken here. i actually found it quite entertaining:)
                                                    Harry
                                                    the reason i have not been replying to posts is that one i am way behind
                                                    on emails due to moving house and as yet i have not gotten to make a
                                                    start though i have been on here for a few years soaking up the
                                                    knowledge. hope to very soon make a start with a small still that i can
                                                    use on the stove top as i do not have a lot of room here (just a small
                                                    flat and no garage). i am thinking no bigger than about 3 gallons and
                                                    preferably something that i could say was being used to make preserves
                                                    etc as well eg large boiler that i could attach the column to.

                                                    you getting any of this rain?

                                                    toni

                                                    joe giffen wrote:
                                                    > Hey Bob,
                                                    > I hope you are not sad. I think that we members were just having a bit
                                                    > of fun( to any lady members please forgive our nonsense) . To be
                                                    > honest I find that having tested my product my mind becomes very
                                                    > clear, this sometimes does not last until the the following morning.
                                                    > Be happy.
                                                    > *//*
                                                  • Mark
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 14, 2007
                                                      I was able to find "high sediment" water heater elements. These are
                                                      about twice as big as "standard" heating elements - so the heating
                                                      density is about half - so it should scortch less and last longer.

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Sep 14, 2007
                                                        where? I want a 240V 4500W run off of 120V for my recirculating
                                                        infusion mashing system.

                                                        Bryan.