London Sloe Gin

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2007
      Hello from north London where I am visiting family members. The sun
      came out at last and I went gathering wild fruit and berries. The
      whole summer was wet so people hope the autumn will be warmer. Plenty
      of elerberries and blackberries which Londoners do not seem interested
      in. Found some sloes and what appeared to be wild damsons when walking
      along an abandonded railway line which has become a linear park.
      Bought a bottle of cheap London dry gin, pricked the plums and placed
      them in a preserving jar, added the gin and half a cup of sugar. The
      sloes give the gin a bit of nice astringency. Will infuse for 2 weeks.
      Quite simple.
      Next exercise could be to infuse the elderberries in an aniseed based
      Sambuca to make a Sambuca nera.
      wal