taste

  • glen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
      Thought i had found a little secret for carbon treating....what i was doing was soaking on active cardbon for 2 weeks then runing it throught a z filter (technically they say you only need the z filter) but i thought this was going to be a sure winner for pure tasting spirit....didnt turn out that way..tasted a bit shit and i ran it through the z filter 3 times!.....anyone know if that is why because i ran it  several times or was it just perhaps the original product spirit that was most likely poor qUALITY?
    • David Lunsford
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 8, 2004
        For my second ever wash, I used alcotech 24 hr turbo, following
        instructions, let sit 36 hours at 27 C( no choice) and on the morning I
        was going to cook, it was still bubbling strongly, but as I was committed,
        limited on time, I put it in the boiler anyway. Am using 16 gal beer keg,
        with 40 inch tower, reflux unit. I cut off water flow to lower cooling tube
        in tower and used top one only.. I collect in a pint container, to watch
        quality of output, then pour into cleaned whiskey bottles. I discarded
        first half pint, and started collecting. Temp held at 76-80 C through the
        whole run, and then the temp shot up uncontrollably, so I stopped
        collecting, at almost 1 gal at 92%, which was consistant through the run.
        The product has a bit of a metallic taste, but is smooth as silk.....any
        suggestions? (I used coins for boiling chips, and added 1 teaspoon salt to
        the mash just before cooking)....any help is of course, appreciated....Dave