RE: [Distillers] Newbie qstn. Redistill after 1st run @68% or carbon treat?

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
      Gerard,

      > I've just completed my 1st run of 20 lrts Turbo Extra Yeast + 6kg
      > sugar (inverted with citric acid), and collected about 3 ltrs of 68%
      > out of my homebuilt pot still.

      Well done. Theres still a little of the alcohol that you haven't got hold
      of - maybe not all the sugar fermented, or just coming to grips with the
      still operation, but either way a great result for your first time !

      Maybe we can offer some pointers ..
      Did you measure your starting & finishing specific gravities in the wash
      (if so, what were they) ?
      What temperature/purity did you stop collecting the distillate ?
      Can you describe your still & how it ran ?

      > Very clear spirit, a wee bit yellowish, no deposits. Should I
      > redistill this to get a cleaner spirit, or would it be all right to
      > treat it with carbon (after diluting to 40%) . I want to make a
      > neutral spirit to flavour later.

      Either way will work. But its probably going to be a better result if you
      redistill it. This will take it up to about 83-85%. Even then it may
      require some carbon to get a truely neutral spirit - but trust your
      tastebuds on this one. Test it by diluting down to say 20-30% in a small
      shot glass or snifter,and see what its like. You can carbon treat a 68%
      spirit, but it may take a bit of time and carbon to get it really clean -
      but again, it all depends on what your expectation of a neutral spirit is.

      Tony