RE: [new_distillers] Modifications to Commercial stills

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
      Ken,

      > G'day Tony,I am in 2 minds about this proposal.
      > On one hand I think why the hell should we give the commercial builders
      all
      > of our hard work and planning in one easy package,then on the other hand
      > think that most of them are so darn thick that they won't know a good
      > modification if it jumped up and bit them on the bum.I believe that if
      the
      > commercial still builders wanted to use a design that a member has
      > produced,at least that member should be recognised in all advertising.

      Its pretty apparent that most of the manufacturers do not know what's going
      on in this group, or the web sites, despite being told about them
      repeatedly. The obvious example of this earlier last year was when a
      particular reflux still was "improved" to be fatter, but not taller, and
      yet somehow (?) it didn't really improve its yield (surprise surprise). If
      they had added another 300-500mm to their existing design (for very little
      cost), it would have been a huge change, but no, that wasn't done. Speak
      to them about any of the new books out - by Ian or Mike, and you just draw
      a blank look. Mention about using a reflux still to make flavoured
      spirits, and you are met with disbelief.

      So - as for "handing it to them on a plate", even by putting the details
      here or on site, I don't think that the designs sold will change much.

      Rather, I'd like to be able to help those individuals who have bought one,
      and would like to do heaps better with it. I know that theres many people
      disenfranchised with what they've bought, and rightly so. No point
      dragging down the reputation of this hobby or its product, if theres an
      easy fix that can be taken.

      I'm quite embarrassed at times at the poor quality designs being sold.
      I've taken my own steps regarding this, and am presently working on
      addressing this. More details to follow once its a certainty.

      Tony