Newbie qstn. Redistill after 1st run @68% or carbon treat?

  • gerardnz2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
      Hi all,
      I've just completed my 1st run of 20 lrts Turbo Extra Yeast + 6kg
      sugar (inverted with citric acid), and collected about 3 ltrs of 68%
      out of my homebuilt pot still.
      Very clear spirit, a wee bit yellowish, no deposits. Should I
      redistill this to get a cleaner spirit, or would it be all right to
      treat it with carbon (after diluting to 40%) . I want to make a
      neutral spirit to flavour later.
      Thanks
      Gerard
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
        Gerard,

        > I've just completed my 1st run of 20 lrts Turbo Extra Yeast + 6kg
        > sugar (inverted with citric acid), and collected about 3 ltrs of 68%
        > out of my homebuilt pot still.

        Well done. Theres still a little of the alcohol that you haven't got hold
        of - maybe not all the sugar fermented, or just coming to grips with the
        still operation, but either way a great result for your first time !

        Maybe we can offer some pointers ..
        Did you measure your starting & finishing specific gravities in the wash
        (if so, what were they) ?
        What temperature/purity did you stop collecting the distillate ?
        Can you describe your still & how it ran ?

        > Very clear spirit, a wee bit yellowish, no deposits. Should I
        > redistill this to get a cleaner spirit, or would it be all right to
        > treat it with carbon (after diluting to 40%) . I want to make a
        > neutral spirit to flavour later.

        Either way will work. But its probably going to be a better result if you
        redistill it. This will take it up to about 83-85%. Even then it may
        require some carbon to get a truely neutral spirit - but trust your
        tastebuds on this one. Test it by diluting down to say 20-30% in a small
        shot glass or snifter,and see what its like. You can carbon treat a 68%
        spirit, but it may take a bit of time and carbon to get it really clean -
        but again, it all depends on what your expectation of a neutral spirit is.

        Tony