Sutronics 3000kv vs 6000kv

  • califshiner
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10, 2007
      Think I can answer my own question! With a 20 amp circuit x 120 volts
      the max I should run is 2400 watts (@ 80% if running over 3 hours) or
      1920 watts. Looks like I'll need 240 volts! Tried a test with a 1750
      watt water heater element with 20 gallons and in four hours took the
      heat fron 76 degrees F. to 145 F. Stainless tank is 18 inches in
      diameter and ambient temp was 75 F. (No insulation) Pint, maybe you
      can tell me the time required for a 4500 wattage element to bring 20
      gallons to boil? Would like to do it under four hours. STILL ANYONE
      USED THE 6000 WATT SUTRONICS CONTOLLER? Thanks. T
    • bbornais
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 13, 2007
        Never used a 6000 WATT SUTRONICS CONTOLLER,

        but heating 20gal of water from 24C to 87C with a 4500W heater should
        take around an hour and a half.

        Bryan.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "califshiner" <califshiner@...>

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 13, 2007
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...> wrote:

          > Never used a 6000 WATT SUTRONICS CONTOLLER,
          >
          > but heating 20gal of water from 24C to 87C with a 4500W heater
          should
          > take around an hour and a half.
          >
          > Bryan.

          That kind of power usage may just invite unwanted attention! Meter
          readers are quasi-policemen.

          I'm going to throw something out there as food for thought.

          The boilers are getting bigger, the charges are getting bigger, and
          the energy sources to fire them are getting bigger. Why? What
          purpose is there in heating (and keeping hot) the entire batch of
          40, 60 or more gallons? If you're going that big, wouldn't it be
          more prudent to use a very small boiler & charge, rigged to feed
          continuously or automatically, as a stripper?

          If I wanted to boil something as big as a lake, I could. But the
          heating costs (and wastage, inefficiencies) would be frightening.
          And all I would achieve is more product in any given timeslice
          (great! say some).

          But if one is making it faster than one can drink it, then it
          becomes a wee bit more than a hobby, and invites official (and peer)
          scrutiny. The size of the operation makes it downright dangerous in
          many ways, to say the least.

          But back to the continuous stripper concept. A 2" column with a
          1500w energy source (is that hobby size?) rigged as a continuous
          stripper only has a few millilitres being boiled (processed) at any
          one time (very safe & energy efficient). Yet it can output 70%
          alcohol at a rate of 1 to 1.5 litres per hour, all day every day,
          24/7, with little interference from the operator. That's a lot of
          booze in a day! Certainly more that I can drink, even with a
          little 'help from my friends'. :)

          AND it begins producing about 5 minutes after it's fired up, meaning
          you get enough to run a charge & make cuts in a second small still
          in double-quick time. Surely that's a better approach than making
          bigger & bigger one-shot outfits? The end result is the same, large
          quantities of alcohol in short time. But the equipment is
          infinitely more suited to small-scale operators and amateur concerns.

        • polaris041
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 13, 2007
            Recently purchased a Kambrook food steamer.
            It has a neat 700W heating element in a 30mm diam x 30mm high
            aluminium clyinder which could be copper plated quite easily.
            Maybe there are higher wattage units about, but this one producers a
            good stream of steam within 15 seconds.
            Just food for thought if someone is keen to follow the lead.

            later pol

            In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
            SNIP

            > But back to the continuous stripper concept. A 2" column with a
            > 1500w energy source (is that hobby size?) rigged as a continuous
            > stripper only has a few millilitres being boiled (processed) at any
            > one time (very safe & energy efficient). Yet it can output 70%
            > alcohol at a rate of 1 to 1.5 litres per hour, all day every day,
            > 24/7, with little interference from the operator. That's a lot of
            > booze in a day! Certainly more that I can drink, even with a
            > little 'help from my friends'. :)
            >
            > AND it begins producing about 5 minutes after it's fired up,
            meaning
            > you get enough to run a charge & make cuts in a second small still
            > in double-quick time. Surely that's a better approach than making
            > bigger & bigger one-shot outfits? The end result is the same,
            large
            > quantities of alcohol in short time. But the equipment is
            > infinitely more suited to small-scale operators and amateur
            concerns.

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • sn_cur
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 14, 2007
              In addition to the good reasons already given, there is another one.

              'Smart meters' for monitoring electrical power use are already being introduced around the
              world. These meters do much more than just measure total consumption, they also track
              individual usage patterns and transmit this data back to the supplier for analysis. (Which,
              BTW, it is going to mean the end of indoor cannabis production.)

              There is no need for hobby distillers to go for high energy input, high volume output stills.
            • Andrew
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 14, 2007
                >sn_cur wrote:
                > <SNIP>
                > 'Smart meters' for monitoring electrical
                > power use are already being introduced
                > around the world. These meters do much
                > more than just measure total consumption,
                > they also track individual usage
                > patterns and transmit this data back to
                > the supplier for analysis. (Which, BTW,
                > it is going to mean the end of indoor
                > cannabis production.)
                > <SNIP>

                Starting to get a bit off topic but I
                would suggest it is no more going to end
                the indoor cannabis production than
                anything that they said would do so in
                the past.
              • !Zapata Vive!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 15, 2007

                    > But to continue the off topic, HOBBY sized indoor cannabis takes very
                    > little electricity. A few hundred watts 12 hours a day can supply a
                    > household. And if a TV is automatically turned on when the lights go
                    > out, what is the meter left with to analyze? So that leaves the big
                    > guys. Most of them started stealing their power 5 years ago or so
                    > anyway...
                    >

                    > > Starting to get a bit off topic but I
                    > > would suggest it is no more going to end
                    > > the indoor cannabis production than
                    > > anything that they said would do so in
                    > > the past.

                    I ain't trying to freak people out, but the authorities are already using smart meters to
                    hunt for home growers. Using lights, especially HID lights, to grow indoors produces a
                    very distinct power use profile that is a lot harder to disguise than you might think. Just
                    because it it has been easy to get away with previously doesn't mean it always will be,
                    things change.

                    And if you want to get caught then stealing electricity is a good way to go about it,
                    especially for large scale growers. For both economic and safety reasons the power
                    companies are well aware of any difference between how much power is being used and
                    how much is being paid for, and they check out any significant discrepancy and can easily
                    track it down to the individual user.

                    Small scale home distillers in a house with a smart meter are probably quite safe, as long
                    as they are not distilling more than about 2-3 times a month, depending a bit on their
                    non-distilling power use profile.

                    Just a bit of free advice from someone who has good inside info on this issue. Take it or
                    leave it, as you wish. Makes no difference to me, I don't grow or even use, and I only run
                    the still about once or twice a month.
                  • Matt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 16, 2007
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sn_cur" <sn_cur@...> wrote:
                      <snip>
                      > I ain't trying to freak people out, but the authorities are already
                      using smart meters to
                      > hunt for home growers. Using lights, especially HID lights, to grow
                      indoors produces a
                      > very distinct power use profile that is a lot harder to disguise
                      than you might think. Just
                      > because it it has been easy to get away with previously doesn't mean
                      it always will be,
                      > things change.
                      <snip>

                      One of my other serious hobbies is tropical fish. I have a number of
                      tanks, especially the reef tanks, that use huge amounts of
                      high-intensity light. I'm waiting for the power company/police to
                      show up at my door one day looking for pot plants. Good reason to
                      keep the still well-hidden anyway.
                    • Andrew
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 16, 2007
                        > Matt wrote: