"Honey smoothening"?

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2007
      Medoff Vodka claims to use honey as an absorbent. The only way I can
      see honey used to modify grain character without adding sweetness is
      either adding it to grain vodka and then re-distilling or using it as
      a mash adjunct. Note the addition of propolis, pollen and royal jelly
      also.

      http://www.medoff.co.uk/medoff_history.htm

      wal
    • cadence22003
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 5, 2007
        --WAL good posting and their website is excellent

        this is genius marketing as this application is common / well known
        practice within the industry

        if i tell you how it's done promise not to send nicole kidman round
        friday night to spank me as punishment

        when almost finished product is tanked ready for packaging smoothing
        agents / compounds are appled and thoroughly mixed by re-cycle or
        powered paddle / arm

        usually next day packaging via filter and voila !

        re-read the bit on their website that talks about "magnetic"
        attraction == thereby is the other "secret" bit

        many regards brian

        - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@...> wrote:

        > Medoff Vodka claims to use honey as an absorbent. The only way I can
        > see honey used to modify grain character without adding sweetness is
        > either adding it to grain vodka and then re-distilling or using it as
        > a mash adjunct. Note the addition of propolis, pollen and royal jelly
        > also.
        >
        > http://www.medoff.co.uk/medoff_history.htm
        >
        > wal

      • duds2u
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 5, 2007
          They wouldn't happen to be chill filtering just prior to bottling by
          any chance?

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@...>
          wrote:

          > --WAL good posting and their website is excellent
          >
          > this is genius marketing as this application is common / well known
          > practice within the industry
          >
          > if i tell you how it's done promise not to send nicole kidman round
          > friday night to spank me as punishment
          >
          > when almost finished product is tanked ready for packaging smoothing
          > agents / compounds are appled and thoroughly mixed by re-cycle or
          > powered paddle / arm
          >
          > usually next day packaging via filter and voila !
          >
          > re-read the bit on their website that talks about "magnetic"
          > attraction == thereby is the other "secret" bit
          >
          > many regards brian
          >

          > - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Medoff Vodka claims to use honey as an absorbent. The only way I
          can
          > > see honey used to modify grain character without adding sweetness
          is
          > > either adding it to grain vodka and then re-distilling or using
          it as
          > > a mash adjunct. Note the addition of propolis, pollen and royal
          jelly
          > > also.
          > >
          > > http://www.medoff.co.uk/medoff_history.htm
          > >
          > > wal

        • cadence22003
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 5, 2007
            --not necessarily DUDS,,,,,,depends where the product was
            heading,,,,,,,,,,geographically of course,,,,,,chill filtering is only
            used for very specific reasons , as you well know,,it is avoided if
            possible as cost is high ,,,,,and with modern methods now in place any
            protien matter which may wish to wander out of solution at the most
            embarressing moment is usually dealt with in at least one or two ways
            prior to packaging

            also i would hint that added smoothing compounds are added NOT in
            their raw state so as to avoid any deposition or flocculation
            [micro],,,,,,work that one out , iv'e spilled too many beans or too
            much honey already

            from the way you phrased your question DUDS i believe you know more
            than you are letting on ,,you little devil,,,,,,,come on spill a bit
            of honey the groups way,,,,,,,as they say in france don't be a GUISCARD

            many regards brian

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 5, 2007
              To my knowledge the most common "mouth feel" enhancing products used
              for vodka are glycerine or glucose. I cannot see how honey is used as
              a replacement. You seem to know more trade secrets?
              wal
              wrote:

              > --not necessarily DUDS,,,,,,depends where the product was
              > heading,,,,,,,,,,geographically of course,,,,,,chill filtering is only
              > used for very specific reasons , as you well know,,it is avoided if
              > possible as cost is high ,,,,,and with modern methods now in place any
              > protien matter which may wish to wander out of solution at the most
              > embarressing moment is usually dealt with in at least one or two ways
              > prior to packaging
              >
              > also i would hint that added smoothing compounds are added NOT in
              > their raw state so as to avoid any deposition or flocculation
              > [micro],,,,,,work that one out , iv'e spilled too many beans or too
              > much honey already
              >
              > from the way you phrased your question DUDS i believe you know more
              > than you are letting on ,,you little devil,,,,,,,come on spill a bit
              > of honey the groups way,,,,,,,as they say in france don't be a GUISCARD
              >

              > many regards brian
              >

              > - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > They wouldn't happen to be chill filtering just prior to bottling by
              > > any chance?
              > >
              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --WAL good posting and their website is excellent
              > > >
              > > > this is genius marketing as this application is common / well known
              > > > practice within the industry
              > > >
              > > > if i tell you how it's done promise not to send nicole kidman round
              > > > friday night to spank me as punishment
              > > >
              > > > when almost finished product is tanked ready for packaging smoothing
              > > > agents / compounds are appled and thoroughly mixed by re-cycle or
              > > > powered paddle / arm
              > > >
              > > > usually next day packaging via filter and voila !
              > > >
              > > > re-read the bit on their website that talks about "magnetic"
              > > > attraction == thereby is the other "secret" bit
              > > >
              > > > many regards brian

              > > can
              > > is
              > > it as
              > > jelly

            • cadence22003
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 5, 2007
                --sure do WAL

                glycerin and glucose outside of the wine industry are almost unknown
                commercially,,,,,,,,,they are reserved for us mere amateurs

                BUT cardamon and caraway are quite often found in a vodka production
                floor store,, these too may well be "treated prior to application if
                they arrive as a solid

                now the puzzle is almost complete ,,,,,believe it or not there is a
                technical difference between mouthfeel and smoothness too
                wal,,,,,albeit sometimes somewhat blurred

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 6, 2007
                  There are a number of Ukrainian vodkas using honey as a flavoring
                  along with lemon, cayenne pepper, linden flowers etc. It is also
                  regarded as a smoothing agent. I suppose a light honey would be
                  similar to glucose.
                  e.g. http://www.lgz.lviv.net/GP_Huney.htm
                  "Medoff Vodka" is actually London based company but using Ukrainian
                  ingredients. They claim they patented a process that uses honey to
                  absorb off flavors. This I find intriguing as honey is basically 75%
                  sugars. Old Russian vodkas did use milk to precipitate off flavors
                  before re-distilling, and possibly there are proteins in honey that
                  can do the same?
                  wal
                  wrote:

                  > --sure do WAL
                  >
                  > glycerin and glucose outside of the wine industry are almost unknown
                  > commercially,,,,,,,,,they are reserved for us mere amateurs
                  >

                  > BUT cardamon and caraway are quite often found in a vodka production
                  > floor store,, these too may well be "treated prior to application if
                  > they arrive as a solid
                  >

                  > now the puzzle is almost complete ,,,,,believe it or not there is a
                  > technical difference between mouthfeel and smoothness too
                  > wal,,,,,albeit sometimes somewhat blurred
                  >
                  > many regards brian

                  > - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > To my knowledge the most common "mouth feel" enhancing products used
                  > > for vodka are glycerine or glucose. I cannot see how honey is used as
                  > > a replacement. You seem to know more trade secrets?
                  > > wal
                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --not necessarily DUDS,,,,,,depends where the product was
                  > > > heading,,,,,,,,,,geographically of course,,,,,,chill filtering
                  is only
                  > > > used for very specific reasons , as you well know,,it is avoided if
                  > > > possible as cost is high ,,,,,and with modern methods now in
                  place any
                  > > > protien matter which may wish to wander out of solution at the most
                  > > > embarressing moment is usually dealt with in at least one or two
                  ways
                  > > > prior to packaging
                  > > >
                  > > > also i would hint that added smoothing compounds are added NOT in
                  > > > their raw state so as to avoid any deposition or flocculation
                  > > > [micro],,,,,,work that one out , iv'e spilled too many beans or too
                  > > > much honey already
                  > > >
                  > > > from the way you phrased your question DUDS i believe you know more
                  > > > than you are letting on ,,you little devil,,,,,,,come on spill a bit
                  > > > of honey the groups way,,,,,,,as they say in france don't be a
                  > GUISCARD
                  > > >

                  > > > many regards brian

                  > bottling by

                  > known

                  > round

                  > smoothing

                  > way I
                  > sweetness

                • duds2u
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 6, 2007
                    It was an educated guess actuall. I've done a bit of research on
                    scotch whisky and have noted that quite a few of them are chill
                    filtered to prevent any potential hazing due to geographic travel

                    As for spilling a "little honey' the groups way, we are all waiting
                    on any further snippets you are able to divulge.
                    Cheers
                    Mal T.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 6, 2007
                      The geography is related to the drinking public. In Germany schnaps is
                      normally kept in the refrigerator. The Germans do the same for whisky
                      and a subsequent haze forms. So for some countries Scotch is chill
                      filtered. Some flavor is also lost.
                      wal

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 7, 2007

                        You seem to know more trade secrets?
                        > wal

                        Hi Wal,

                        Perhaps you don't recall but our Brian was an original member of
                        this group. His first post was #27, way back in 1999! In those
                        days he was running a 4,000 litre/wk outfit for whisky in Tassie!

                        Yep, he's got a few ermmm...'trade secrets'. :)

                        Personally I'm glad he's found some time to drop in again since his
                        retirement. It's nice (and valuable) to have someone who's been at
                        the coal-face.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 7, 2007
                          I recognised his 'unique' punctuation!!!!!!!!!!
                          wal