Re: Stainless Steel Pure Grain StillI

  • sylvania65
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 31, 2007
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pint_o_shine" <pintoshine@...>
      wrote:
      > I use my compressor with the
      > regulator set to 25 psi to pressure check all the welds. I had a bad
      > accident with alcohol vapor about 25 years ago and am a stickler for
      > leaks. Zero tolerance for leaks.

      You DO fill it with water before pressurization, right? As, I assume you
      know, if it is full of water any failures are safer - and leaks are
      easier to find. Also, 15 psi should be plenty to leak check a part for
      a still that isn't really intended to hold any pressure at all anyway.

      Nicely designed still - I always love to see what you get up to.
    • pint_o_shine
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 7, 2007
        I finished it and I did the commissioning run last night.
        I charged it with 26 liters of 14% mixture of water and high proof
        from a previous run that I was not satisfied with the flavor.
        After It reach equilibrium, a measured the max takeoff. It was
        50ml/minute. I poured what the contents back into the boiler.
        I closed the valve and allowed it to equalize again. I started taking
        off alcohol at 95%. It stayed there for the first 3 liters taking it
        off at a rate of 5ml/minute. 10:1 reflux removed all the flavor. I was
        very satisfied with the results. It took a half a liter to get all the
        milkiness out of the watered down spirits. After that it was real nice.

        The sight glass proved to be nearly worthless. It fogged up
        immediately. After the volume of vapor picked up a bit I was able to
        look between the droplets and see the level in the holding pool enough
        to tell it was draining back down the column correctly. I was also
        able to verify the volume of vapor did not interfere with the liquid
        flow downward.

        I took some pictures after I got it cleaned up from the first run. You
        can view then at
        http://www.artisan-distiller.org/bokakob/finished.htm

        I will run it a bit faster whenever I get some stripping done. I am
        anxious to get 50 liters at 45% to run. I bet it will not need so
        much reflux then.
        Let me know what you think about the finished design. I modified the
        original plans to fit my available materials. It is much easier to
        operate than my previous attempts. At least I don't have to climb a
        ladder to adjust things and work with the water hoses.
      • polaris041
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 7, 2007
          Good effort pint.
          Is that a liebic on the side to cool your product.
          What temp does it come out of the still and out of the liebic.
          The sight glass could be fixed by lowering it a bit, then the level
          of the liquid would be easily seen on the glass.
          regards pol

          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 7, 2007
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "polaris041" <polaris@...> wrote:

            > Good effort pint.
            > Is that a liebic on the side to cool your product.
            > What temp does it come out of the still and out of the liebic .
            Thank you. I have been working to improve my metal working skills to
            an artist level. I have yet to get to the polished level I want to get
            to. Unfortunately, unless I get orders for more work, my practice is
            at and end until I start my sorghum grinder and press.

            The temp out of the column for the product is 168.9°F. This is just
            below the evaporating temperature of the ETOH. We had record high
            temps here today and yesterday at 101°F outside, and the temp of my
            cooling water was 87°F yesterday. The product comes out of the heat
            exchanger at 87°F also.

            > The sight glass could be fixed by lowering it a bit, then the level
            > of the liquid would be easily seen on the glass.
            > regards pol

            The sight glass works OK. I should have expected the fogging problem.
            I was thinking the glass would behave similarly to the glass jar I use
            for a thumper/doubler. It generally achieves a temp above the
            condensation and stays clear. This glass collects the vapor constantly
            and it looks like rain on the glass. It is functional, but it is
            difficult to use.
          • sn_cur
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 7, 2007
              That's a serious beast you got there, Pinto. Looks damn good. Should last you forever.

              What did you end up using as a seal in the filler cap?

              sn
            • pint_o_shine
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 8, 2007
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sn_cur" <sn_cur@...> wrote:

                > That's a serious beast you got there, Pinto. Looks damn good. Should
                last you forever.

                > What did you end up using as a seal in the filler cap?
                >
                > sn

                I used GE RTV pure silicone I. I also fabricated the gaskets between
                the flanges from the same material using a mold I turned on my lathe.
              • pint_o_shine
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 9, 2007
                  I charged it with 10 gallons at 47% and the site glass cleared up a
                  bit and the internal workings became clear. There was nothing
                  unexpected happening. I thought you might like to see also so here is
                  a short clip.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ji5pn7eO8
                • sn_cur
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 9, 2007
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pint_o_shine" <pintoshine@...> wrote:

                    >I thought you might like to see also so here is
                    > a short clip.
                    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ji5pn7eO8

                    Sure did. Thanks for that.
                  • just me