Re: [Distillers] Hydrated lime in Australia + keg stainless grade

  • dearknarl
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 27, 2007
      OK, Now I have a new angle to take on my search! Didn't realise people pickle using caustic. The only pickling I've done is with vinegar (okra and chilli pickles mmmmm). Thanks.

      Cheers,
      knarl.

      On 7/26/07, !Zapata Vive! <zapatavive@...> wrote:

      I can't speak for Oz, but in the US, you can buy pickling lime at grocery stores which is hydrated lime, and food grade of course.  Do you guys make pickles down in Oz?

      Agricultural lime in the US is either hydrated lime, or plain old lime (calcium carbonate).  I've seen both, the only way I could tell the difference from the packages was by looking at the application rate.  Hydrated lime is a LOT more basic / caustic than calcium carbonate.  Calcium carbonate is often just crushed up limestone or oyster shells, which you know aren't very caustic.
      .