help with wash

  • just me
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2007
      my wash isn't fermenting. i used 12.5l of apple juice (apple juice and
      ascorbic acid) 12.5l of water,8.14# of sugar and schnapps yeast from
      prestige. i am afraid i didn't use the yeast properly. this is the
      first time for this yeast. i have used turbo in the past. should i have
      started the yeast first(with the same ratio of ingredients) or pitched
      it? or do i need to add some b1.i have some home made vegemite
      substitute(thanks harry) any help would be appreciated. my next project
      is tequila. does any one have a recipe? i saw one that said to use 8oz
      of nectar. that would come to 8oz nectar and 15lbs of sugar to one
      schnapps yeast? thanks for the help.
    • Robert Bradbury
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2007
        RE: [Distillers] help with wash

        According to one of my wine books, most all fruit wines need yeast nutrient added. Given that this is a wash, your goal is still the same as wine; ferment the sugars into alcohol. For apple wine, it calls for 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient per gallon or 5 l. In your case you will more than likely need 2 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient.

        See if this gets the fermentation going.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2007
          thank you Robert. I will try that.