Re: [Distillers] Re: Wanted: Rum and Vodka Recipes

  • Link D'Antoni
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
      Harry,

      I stand corrected! 145-175 Proof (U.S.).
      'Twas tipping whilst typing.

      Yeah, I can't even get 145% through my reflux. What a
      pitty. That would be a neat trick though. Then would
      be the Houdini of Distillation.

      Link

      --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni
      > <link2d@...> wrote:
      > > Rum:
      > > Use 84.1 Brix commercial grade molasses. Cut 4
      > parts
      > > water:1 part molasses. Ferments to 14% alcohol.

      > alcohol.<<<<<<<
      >

      > Cut to 40%-45%
      > > Age in wood cask.
      > >
      > > That's my way.
      > >
      > > Link
      >

      > Heh, that's a neat trick Link. :)
      > Methinks you mean proof?
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
    • Robert Bradbury
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
        Re: [Distillers] Wanted: Rum and Vodka Recipes

        Thank your for the Recipe.

        Robert Bradbury

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
          Robert,

          Are you familiar with Harry's library?

          and Tony's site,
          http://homedistiller.org/

          You will find both most valuable as I do.
          I was being sarcastic with my last post. Sorry 'bout
          that. But there is no ONE way, ONE style. I am
          actually making Molasses washes now to do Harry's Rum
          method. I am looking to improve my output. Heavens
          knows I need to improve.

          Link

          --- Robert Bradbury <robert@...> wrote:

          > Thank your for the Recipe.
          >

          > Robert Bradbury

        • plumbondude
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2007
            Hi Robert,
            I've been distilling for 15 years on and off, but I must say I've
            had little contact with other distillers and now that I have the
            internet, I've realised how much I still have to learn. "Still" get
            it?
            Anyway your welcome to my rum recipie as follows.
            Its pretty rough in quantities but I havent had any complaints.I
            simply use 6 litres of black stap mollasses and two kilos of csr
            brown sugar made up to 25 litres. Since I discovered turbo yeast its
            increased my yields a bit I think and in a much shorter time.
            The more mollasses you use the stronger the flavour. I triple
            distill this. The first run is very rough.The second drinkable. The
            third is what I like.
            This makes the white rum which I drink the most of. I use a
            handfull of toasted burbon barell and about half a handfull of
            chopped raisins per 4 litres of 75% distillate and leave for a
            minimum of three months. This gets me a nice golden rum when watered
            down to around 40%.
            Like I said these are all rough measurements. But ya get the jist.
            My batches vary considerably. Nothing hard and fast.

            Cheers

            Matt