Re: High strength alcohol taste

  • bbornais
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
      What do you mean by high strength alcohol? What proof are you drinking?

      I assume it is not the near azeotrope ethyl alcohol solution that you
      get from a reflux still. I recently saw a post on you tube where they
      seemed to be drinking the fractionated product straight from the still.

      perhaps you just need to cut it down to 40%, or perhaps you are cutting
      too soon into the hearts and leaving much of the heads fraction in.

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I am hoping that this is a very stupid question. I find that the high
      > strength alcohol I produce has an astringent taste to it. Think very
      > dry Shiraz or extremely strong tea. For those who have ever been
      > unlucky enough to try the astringent variety of persimmon, you will
      > know exactly what I mean.
      >
      > Is this to be expected? If not, what could be causing a highly
      > astringent taste?
      >
      > regards,
      > Michael.

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
        Assuming your gear are OK (no plastic hoses) and you sanitized your
        storage vessels I'd say the problem lies with your cuts. My bet is
        too early heads cut in this case.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...> wrote:

        > What do you mean by high strength alcohol? What proof are you
        drinking?

        > I assume it is not the near azeotrope ethyl alcohol solution that
        you
        > get from a reflux still. I recently saw a post on you tube where
        they
        > seemed to be drinking the fractionated product straight from the
        still.

        > perhaps you just need to cut it down to 40%, or perhaps you are
        cutting
        > too soon into the hearts and leaving much of the heads fraction in.
        >

        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > I am hoping that this is a very stupid question. I find that the
        high
        > > strength alcohol I produce has an astringent taste to it. Think
        very
        > > dry Shiraz or extremely strong tea. For those who have ever been
        > > unlucky enough to try the astringent variety of persimmon, you
        will
        > > know exactly what I mean.
        > >
        > > Is this to be expected? If not, what could be causing a highly
        > > astringent taste?
        > >
        > > regards,
        > > Michael.

      • erbachem
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
          Hi There,

          I am actually talking about ABV levels from around 75% to 95%. The
          real question is should high strength alcohol come across as
          astringent? I don't actually drink the stuff at this strength but
          really want to find out whether what I am tasting is to be expected
          or not and if not, what I could be doing in my process for it to
          taste like this.

          I have a few cuts from start to finish still separated. I'll have a
          look tonight and see if there is a change in astringency from start
          to finish.

          Hope this clarifies a little.

          regards,
          Michael.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...> wrote:

          > What do you mean by high strength alcohol? What proof are you
          drinking?

          > I assume it is not the near azeotrope ethyl alcohol solution that
          you
          > get from a reflux still. I recently saw a post on you tube where
          they
          > seemed to be drinking the fractionated product straight from the
          still.

          > perhaps you just need to cut it down to 40%, or perhaps you are
          cutting
          > too soon into the hearts and leaving much of the heads fraction in.
          >

          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > I am hoping that this is a very stupid question. I find that the
          high
          > > strength alcohol I produce has an astringent taste to it. Think
          very
          > > dry Shiraz or extremely strong tea. For those who have ever been
          > > unlucky enough to try the astringent variety of persimmon, you
          will
          > > know exactly what I mean.
          > >
          > > Is this to be expected? If not, what could be causing a highly
          > > astringent taste?
          > >
          > > regards,
          > > Michael.

        • erbachem
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "erbachem" <erbachem@...> wrote:

              > Hi There,
              >
              > I am actually talking about ABV levels from around 75% to 95%. The
              > real question is should high strength alcohol come across as
              > astringent? I don't actually drink the stuff at this strength but
              > really want to find out whether what I am tasting is to be
              expected
              > or not and if not, what I could be doing in my process for it to
              > taste like this.
              >
              > I have a few cuts from start to finish still separated. I'll have
              > look tonight and see if there is a change in astringency from
              start
              > to finish.
              >
              > Hope this clarifies a little.
              >
              > regards,
              > Michael.
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@> wrote:
              > >
              > > What do you mean by high strength alcohol? What proof are you
              > drinking?
              > >
              > > I assume it is not the near azeotrope ethyl alcohol solution
              that
              > you
              > > get from a reflux still. I recently saw a post on you tube where
              > they
              > > seemed to be drinking the fractionated product straight from the
              > still.
              > >
              > > perhaps you just need to cut it down to 40%, or perhaps you are
              > cutting
              > > too soon into the hearts and leaving much of the heads fraction
              in.

              What you are describing is a known property of ethanol.
              Ethanol has an affinity for water, meaning that it readily absorbs
              moisture. It will do so even from the surrounding air. That's why
              pure 100% anhydrous ethanol quickly reverts to the azeotrope (95.6%)
              when exposed to air.

              When you put high-test ethanol in your mouth or body, it will
              literally pull the moisture out of your tissues, leaving the
              contacting flesh dry (your 'astringent' observation).

              This is the main cause of the violent headaches associated with
              drinking excessive amounts of alcohol without keeping up the water
              intake. It literally dries out brain tissue, because ethanol can
              cross the blood-brain barrier, just like many drugs do. The
              headache is reduced to a minimum with proper water replacement.

            • youngblood1435
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
                I'm also noticing the astringent taste. I mash pure corn and double
                distill . however I have found that as the distillate ages it turns
                very bitter. I have also found that If I add a tablespoon of either
                raisins or pearled barley per liter that it melllow out the spirit and
                removes the bitter astringent taste. I usually leave it to soak for only
                overnite or at most a couple of days at 40% abv. If yoy leave it too
                long it will have the smell and taste of a old purse.

                Youngblood.