High strength alcohol taste

  • erbachem
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
      Hi All,

      I am hoping that this is a very stupid question. I find that the high
      strength alcohol I produce has an astringent taste to it. Think very
      dry Shiraz or extremely strong tea. For those who have ever been
      unlucky enough to try the astringent variety of persimmon, you will
      know exactly what I mean.

      Is this to be expected? If not, what could be causing a highly
      astringent taste?

      regards,
      Michael.
    • bbornais
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
        What do you mean by high strength alcohol? What proof are you drinking?

        I assume it is not the near azeotrope ethyl alcohol solution that you
        get from a reflux still. I recently saw a post on you tube where they
        seemed to be drinking the fractionated product straight from the still.

        perhaps you just need to cut it down to 40%, or perhaps you are cutting
        too soon into the hearts and leaving much of the heads fraction in.

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am hoping that this is a very stupid question. I find that the high
        > strength alcohol I produce has an astringent taste to it. Think very
        > dry Shiraz or extremely strong tea. For those who have ever been
        > unlucky enough to try the astringent variety of persimmon, you will
        > know exactly what I mean.
        >
        > Is this to be expected? If not, what could be causing a highly
        > astringent taste?
        >
        > regards,
        > Michael.

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
          Assuming your gear are OK (no plastic hoses) and you sanitized your
          storage vessels I'd say the problem lies with your cuts. My bet is
          too early heads cut in this case.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...> wrote:

          > What do you mean by high strength alcohol? What proof are you
          drinking?

          > I assume it is not the near azeotrope ethyl alcohol solution that
          you
          > get from a reflux still. I recently saw a post on you tube where
          they
          > seemed to be drinking the fractionated product straight from the
          still.

          > perhaps you just need to cut it down to 40%, or perhaps you are
          cutting
          > too soon into the hearts and leaving much of the heads fraction in.
          >

          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > I am hoping that this is a very stupid question. I find that the
          high
          > > strength alcohol I produce has an astringent taste to it. Think
          very
          > > dry Shiraz or extremely strong tea. For those who have ever been
          > > unlucky enough to try the astringent variety of persimmon, you
          will
          > > know exactly what I mean.
          > >
          > > Is this to be expected? If not, what could be causing a highly
          > > astringent taste?
          > >
          > > regards,
          > > Michael.

        • erbachem
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
            Hi There,

            I am actually talking about ABV levels from around 75% to 95%. The
            real question is should high strength alcohol come across as
            astringent? I don't actually drink the stuff at this strength but
            really want to find out whether what I am tasting is to be expected
            or not and if not, what I could be doing in my process for it to
            taste like this.

            I have a few cuts from start to finish still separated. I'll have a
            look tonight and see if there is a change in astringency from start
            to finish.

            Hope this clarifies a little.

            regards,
            Michael.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...> wrote:

            > What do you mean by high strength alcohol? What proof are you
            drinking?

            > I assume it is not the near azeotrope ethyl alcohol solution that
            you
            > get from a reflux still. I recently saw a post on you tube where
            they
            > seemed to be drinking the fractionated product straight from the
            still.

            > perhaps you just need to cut it down to 40%, or perhaps you are
            cutting
            > too soon into the hearts and leaving much of the heads fraction in.
            >

            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > I am hoping that this is a very stupid question. I find that the
            high
            > > strength alcohol I produce has an astringent taste to it. Think
            very
            > > dry Shiraz or extremely strong tea. For those who have ever been
            > > unlucky enough to try the astringent variety of persimmon, you
            will
            > > know exactly what I mean.
            > >
            > > Is this to be expected? If not, what could be causing a highly
            > > astringent taste?
            > >
            > > regards,
            > > Michael.

          • erbachem
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "erbachem" <erbachem@...> wrote:

                > Hi There,
                >
                > I am actually talking about ABV levels from around 75% to 95%. The
                > real question is should high strength alcohol come across as
                > astringent? I don't actually drink the stuff at this strength but
                > really want to find out whether what I am tasting is to be
                expected
                > or not and if not, what I could be doing in my process for it to
                > taste like this.
                >
                > I have a few cuts from start to finish still separated. I'll have
                > look tonight and see if there is a change in astringency from
                start
                > to finish.
                >
                > Hope this clarifies a little.
                >
                > regards,
                > Michael.
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@> wrote:
                > >
                > > What do you mean by high strength alcohol? What proof are you
                > drinking?
                > >
                > > I assume it is not the near azeotrope ethyl alcohol solution
                that
                > you
                > > get from a reflux still. I recently saw a post on you tube where
                > they
                > > seemed to be drinking the fractionated product straight from the
                > still.
                > >
                > > perhaps you just need to cut it down to 40%, or perhaps you are
                > cutting
                > > too soon into the hearts and leaving much of the heads fraction
                in.

                What you are describing is a known property of ethanol.
                Ethanol has an affinity for water, meaning that it readily absorbs
                moisture. It will do so even from the surrounding air. That's why
                pure 100% anhydrous ethanol quickly reverts to the azeotrope (95.6%)
                when exposed to air.

                When you put high-test ethanol in your mouth or body, it will
                literally pull the moisture out of your tissues, leaving the
                contacting flesh dry (your 'astringent' observation).

                This is the main cause of the violent headaches associated with
                drinking excessive amounts of alcohol without keeping up the water
                intake. It literally dries out brain tissue, because ethanol can
                cross the blood-brain barrier, just like many drugs do. The
                headache is reduced to a minimum with proper water replacement.

              • youngblood1435
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
                  I'm also noticing the astringent taste. I mash pure corn and double
                  distill . however I have found that as the distillate ages it turns
                  very bitter. I have also found that If I add a tablespoon of either
                  raisins or pearled barley per liter that it melllow out the spirit and
                  removes the bitter astringent taste. I usually leave it to soak for only
                  overnite or at most a couple of days at 40% abv. If yoy leave it too
                  long it will have the smell and taste of a old purse.

                  Youngblood.