Red Devil Lye, NaOH

  • !Zapata Vive!
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
      There have been a few recent references recently to "Red Devil Lye".  I just wanted to mention that Red Devil no longer makes a pure lye product (NaOH).  They discontinued it a few years ago due it's popularity among illicit drug manufacturers.  But NaOH is also commonly used by many home chemists, ranging from the hobby experimenters to soap making and bio-fuels production.  If you are looking for a replacement for Red Devil, the brand Roebic "crystal drain opener" is sold in many big hardware stores in the US including Lowes and sometimes even Walmart, and it is as pure (or purer even) than Red Devil, and comes in a bigger bottle too.

      Of course NaOH is also rather commonly available online as well, but the convenience of buying locally can't be beat.

      Just wanted to share an alternate source to another ridiculous casualty of prohibition.

      The two most recent references to Red Devil were:
      I pointed you to the process outlined by wiki because it is the
      traditional process. The modern process is in making hominy with
      sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, lye. I use about 40 grams in 12
      liters to do a small batch. I use the brand Red Devil because it is
      pure lye. I heat mine to boiling, add whole corn bring back to a
      boil, turn off heat and then let it set overnight. The next day the
      pericarp and germ will fall off. I usually give it a good rinse and
      most of it comes off with the rinsing. The soft starchy part is
      easily mashed and if you get most of the pericarp and germ off in the
      rinsing you get a pretty clear, non-viscous liquid that ferments real
      good. The germ will usuall filter out really easy if you miss it.
      This process sounds complicated but it yeilds much more convertable
      starch.

      and:
      Some readily available alkaline substances were Red Devil Lye(sodium
      hydroxide) Arm and Hammer Washing soda (sodium carbonate) Arm and
      Hammer Baking Soda( sodium bicarb.) hard wood ashes ( potassium
      carbonate) caustic potash from ashes and calcium hydroxide(potassium
      hydroxide) eggshells (calcium carbonate) and lime (calcium hydroxide)
      and lastly ammonia hydrate(common household ammonia not the anhydrous
      stuff)

    • Home Distiller
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        --- !Zapata Vive! <zapatavive@...> wrote:

        > Of interest to me was this
        > > Acacia imparts a yellow tint to the wine and is no
        > longer common.
        > I believe there are a lot of Acacia's in Australia,
        > just thought I'd
        > throw that out for you Ausies, might be worth
        > experimenting with, or
        > at least researching.

        This article towards the bottom mentions that Japanese
        cedar was used to age sake.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aging_barrel

      • pint_o_shine
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
          Fortunately in my area it is still available. I just bought some. It
          is a regional thing as to which is available. The contaminated stuff
          does indeed have small zinc pellets and some calcium carbonate in it.
          It is very easy to tell the difference. Ace Hardware is still stocking
          the pure stuff in my area and it says so on the label. I haven't seen
          the Roebic brand here yet. Thanks for the tip.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, !Zapata Vive! <zapatavive@...> wrote:

          > There have been a few recent references recently to "Red Devil Lye".
          > I just wanted to mention that Red Devil no longer makes a pure lye
          > product (NaOH). They discontinued it a few years ago due it's
          > popularity among illicit drug manufacturers. But NaOH is also
          > commonly used by many home chemists, ranging from the hobby
          > experimenters to soap making and bio-fuels production. If you are
          > looking for a replacement for Red Devil, the brand Roebic "crystal
          > drain opener" is sold in many big hardware stores in the US including
          > Lowes and sometimes even Walmart, and it is as pure (or purer even)
          > than Red Devil, and comes in a bigger bottle too.
          >
          > Of course NaOH is also rather commonly available online as well, but
          > the convenience of buying locally can't be beat.
          >
          > Just wanted to share an alternate source to another ridiculous
          > casualty of prohibition.
          >
          > The two most recent references to Red Devil were:
          > > I pointed you to the process outlined by wiki because it is the
          > > traditional process. The modern process is in making hominy with
          > > sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, lye. I use about 40 grams in 12
          > > liters to do a small batch. I use the brand Red Devil because it is
          > > pure lye. I heat mine to boiling, add whole corn bring back to a
          > > boil, turn off heat and then let it set overnight. The next day the
          > > pericarp and germ will fall off. I usually give it a good rinse and
          > > most of it comes off with the rinsing. The soft starchy part is
          > > easily mashed and if you get most of the pericarp and germ off in the
          > > rinsing you get a pretty clear, non-viscous liquid that ferments real
          > > good. The germ will usuall filter out really easy if you miss it.
          > > This process sounds complicated but it yeilds much more convertable
          > > starch.
          >
          > and:
          > > Some readily available alkaline substances were Red Devil Lye(sodium
          > > hydroxide) Arm and Hammer Washing soda (sodium carbonate) Arm and
          > > Hammer Baking Soda( sodium bicarb.) hard wood ashes ( potassium
          > > carbonate) caustic potash from ashes and calcium hydroxide(potassium
          > > hydroxide) eggshells (calcium carbonate) and lime (calcium hydroxide)
          > > and lastly ammonia hydrate(common household ammonia not the anhydrous
          > > stuff)

        • Robert Hubble
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
            Hi Pint,

            In the last year or so Red Devil has become unavailable in our area, but
            last month I picked up a 20 oz jar of "Glug", a drain cleaner whose sole
            listed ingredient is sodium hydroxide. Of course, it *may* have been on the
            shelf for awhile in my small local hardware store, and he may not be able to
            restock it.

            No matter, it cleaned the HELL out my bathroom sink drain!

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            http://newlivehotmail.com