Re: Using glass fermentation locks as a pressure valve?

  • nyykter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2007
      Hello.

      Yes, you could do that, but i am not sure it is really necessary if
      you contsruct the still properly. You should allways leave an open
      passage to the atmosphere, through the column and condensers.

      Maybe it could be used as an indicator of flooding.
      I am not sure that the level difference you can get in a fermentation
      lock is enough to stand the counter pressure of a high column. I I
      have made some tests with continuous stills, using a water lock to
      remove excess mash from the boiler, and sometimes the pressure emptied
      the boiler through the water lock, without any real pressure problem.

      Maybe you would need to build a water lock with a higher level
      difference.

      /Nykter