Poisen imported woods!

  • mtnwalker2
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2007
      Please be careful. I am a tree farmer, and sell hardwoods to a local
      sawmill. Black Cherry, white and red oak and hard maple. They export
      almost all of it.

      While visiting and touring thier facility, I was shown a huge vat, that
      all the woods for export were dipped in, in accordance with export
      laws. Can't remember the name of the chemicals used, but remember them
      saying it was extremely toxic, and was all machinery handled from that
      point on. This was to kill any bugs, molds, virus etc. I have no idea
      of the persistance of these chemicals.

      Regarding useing branches of oak trees. The white oak used for barrels
      is all heart wood, very hard and dense. Small branches will contain
      very little heart wood. You can however distress age hardwoods useing
      freezing and heating in rapid cycles.

      Best of luck to all.