Re: [Distillers] Re: Rethinking American vs. French oak - oak barrels used in aging of wine

  • Home Distiller
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
      --- waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote:
      > is economical to buy the oak chips - French or
      > American rather than
      > using an unknown product.

      In the words of a famous Australian "Because it was
      there"

      Don't know if it's a morbid sense of adventure just to
      try different things to see if something will work
      better or plain simple bordem to see what will happen.

    • Home Distiller
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        --- Home Distiller <home_distiller@...> wrote:

        > Don't know if it's a morbid sense of adventure just
        > to try different things to see if something will
        work
        > better or plain simple bordem to see what will
        > happen.

        Or another way of looking at it, if people didn't mess
        about accidental discoveries wouldn't occur, take
        stainless steel for example, it was a complete
        accident it was found. Last time I checked, we still
        don't know everything about everything :)

        now.
        http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
      • !Zapata Vive!
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          Of interest to me was this
          Acacia imparts a yellow tint to the wine and is no longer common.
          I believe there are a lot of Acacia's in Australia, just thought I'd throw that out for you Ausies, might be worth experimenting with, or at least researching.

          On Jul 1, 2007, at 11:23 PM, Home Distiller wrote:

          Ok it's an article about wine aging rather then spirit
          aging, but it was interesting how they pointed out the
          technique used to prepare the wood seems to be more
          important then if it's french or american white oak.

          http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3488/is_n11_v73/ai_13619651

          Yahoo! Food

          Cooking tips?

          Whip up something

          tasty today!

          Yahoo! TV

          "The 9"

          Daily count down

          of top Web finds.

          New web site?

          Drive traffic now.

          Get your business

          on Yahoo! search.

          .

        • !Zapata Vive!
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
            There have been a few recent references recently to "Red Devil Lye".  I just wanted to mention that Red Devil no longer makes a pure lye product (NaOH).  They discontinued it a few years ago due it's popularity among illicit drug manufacturers.  But NaOH is also commonly used by many home chemists, ranging from the hobby experimenters to soap making and bio-fuels production.  If you are looking for a replacement for Red Devil, the brand Roebic "crystal drain opener" is sold in many big hardware stores in the US including Lowes and sometimes even Walmart, and it is as pure (or purer even) than Red Devil, and comes in a bigger bottle too.

            Of course NaOH is also rather commonly available online as well, but the convenience of buying locally can't be beat.

            Just wanted to share an alternate source to another ridiculous casualty of prohibition.

            The two most recent references to Red Devil were:
            I pointed you to the process outlined by wiki because it is the
            traditional process. The modern process is in making hominy with
            sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, lye. I use about 40 grams in 12
            liters to do a small batch. I use the brand Red Devil because it is
            pure lye. I heat mine to boiling, add whole corn bring back to a
            boil, turn off heat and then let it set overnight. The next day the
            pericarp and germ will fall off. I usually give it a good rinse and
            most of it comes off with the rinsing. The soft starchy part is
            easily mashed and if you get most of the pericarp and germ off in the
            rinsing you get a pretty clear, non-viscous liquid that ferments real
            good. The germ will usuall filter out really easy if you miss it.
            This process sounds complicated but it yeilds much more convertable
            starch.

            and:
            Some readily available alkaline substances were Red Devil Lye(sodium
            hydroxide) Arm and Hammer Washing soda (sodium carbonate) Arm and
            Hammer Baking Soda( sodium bicarb.) hard wood ashes ( potassium
            carbonate) caustic potash from ashes and calcium hydroxide(potassium
            hydroxide) eggshells (calcium carbonate) and lime (calcium hydroxide)
            and lastly ammonia hydrate(common household ammonia not the anhydrous
            stuff)

          • Home Distiller
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
              --- !Zapata Vive! <zapatavive@...> wrote:

              > Of interest to me was this
              > > Acacia imparts a yellow tint to the wine and is no
              > longer common.
              > I believe there are a lot of Acacia's in Australia,
              > just thought I'd
              > throw that out for you Ausies, might be worth
              > experimenting with, or
              > at least researching.

              This article towards the bottom mentions that Japanese
              cedar was used to age sake.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aging_barrel

            • pint_o_shine
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                Fortunately in my area it is still available. I just bought some. It
                is a regional thing as to which is available. The contaminated stuff
                does indeed have small zinc pellets and some calcium carbonate in it.
                It is very easy to tell the difference. Ace Hardware is still stocking
                the pure stuff in my area and it says so on the label. I haven't seen
                the Roebic brand here yet. Thanks for the tip.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, !Zapata Vive! <zapatavive@...> wrote:

                > There have been a few recent references recently to "Red Devil Lye".
                > I just wanted to mention that Red Devil no longer makes a pure lye
                > product (NaOH). They discontinued it a few years ago due it's
                > popularity among illicit drug manufacturers. But NaOH is also
                > commonly used by many home chemists, ranging from the hobby
                > experimenters to soap making and bio-fuels production. If you are
                > looking for a replacement for Red Devil, the brand Roebic "crystal
                > drain opener" is sold in many big hardware stores in the US including
                > Lowes and sometimes even Walmart, and it is as pure (or purer even)
                > than Red Devil, and comes in a bigger bottle too.
                >
                > Of course NaOH is also rather commonly available online as well, but
                > the convenience of buying locally can't be beat.
                >
                > Just wanted to share an alternate source to another ridiculous
                > casualty of prohibition.
                >
                > The two most recent references to Red Devil were:
                > > I pointed you to the process outlined by wiki because it is the
                > > traditional process. The modern process is in making hominy with
                > > sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, lye. I use about 40 grams in 12
                > > liters to do a small batch. I use the brand Red Devil because it is
                > > pure lye. I heat mine to boiling, add whole corn bring back to a
                > > boil, turn off heat and then let it set overnight. The next day the
                > > pericarp and germ will fall off. I usually give it a good rinse and
                > > most of it comes off with the rinsing. The soft starchy part is
                > > easily mashed and if you get most of the pericarp and germ off in the
                > > rinsing you get a pretty clear, non-viscous liquid that ferments real
                > > good. The germ will usuall filter out really easy if you miss it.
                > > This process sounds complicated but it yeilds much more convertable
                > > starch.
                >
                > and:
                > > Some readily available alkaline substances were Red Devil Lye(sodium
                > > hydroxide) Arm and Hammer Washing soda (sodium carbonate) Arm and
                > > Hammer Baking Soda( sodium bicarb.) hard wood ashes ( potassium
                > > carbonate) caustic potash from ashes and calcium hydroxide(potassium
                > > hydroxide) eggshells (calcium carbonate) and lime (calcium hydroxide)
                > > and lastly ammonia hydrate(common household ammonia not the anhydrous
                > > stuff)

              • Robert Hubble
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                  Hi Pint,

                  In the last year or so Red Devil has become unavailable in our area, but
                  last month I picked up a 20 oz jar of "Glug", a drain cleaner whose sole
                  listed ingredient is sodium hydroxide. Of course, it *may* have been on the
                  shelf for awhile in my small local hardware store, and he may not be able to
                  restock it.

                  No matter, it cleaned the HELL out my bathroom sink drain!

                  Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                  http://newlivehotmail.com