Using glass fermentation locks as a pressure valve?

  • wvengineer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 2:25 AM
      Hello all
      I am a newbie to the group and had a question. If a reflux still
      was being constructed and wanted to incorperate as much saftey as
      possible. Would glass fermentation locks in rubber stoppers, placed on
      the boiler and at the top of the column work as saftey valves for
      positive and negetave pressure? Will this work?

      Thanks
    • nyykter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2 12:51 PM
        Hello.

        Yes, you could do that, but i am not sure it is really necessary if
        you contsruct the still properly. You should allways leave an open
        passage to the atmosphere, through the column and condensers.

        Maybe it could be used as an indicator of flooding.
        I am not sure that the level difference you can get in a fermentation
        lock is enough to stand the counter pressure of a high column. I I
        have made some tests with continuous stills, using a water lock to
        remove excess mash from the boiler, and sometimes the pressure emptied
        the boiler through the water lock, without any real pressure problem.

        Maybe you would need to build a water lock with a higher level
        difference.

        /Nykter