Rethinking American vs. French oak - oak barrels used in aging of wine

  • Home Distiller
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
      Ok it's an article about wine aging rather then spirit
      aging, but it was interesting how they pointed out the
      technique used to prepare the wood seems to be more
      important then if it's french or american white oak.

      http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3488/is_n11_v73/ai_13619651

      now.
      http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        Many Australian wineries age the same wine in American & French oak to
        get a good balance. Ausstralia's most prestige wine 'Grange' is
        actually aged in American oak.
        But there is twice as much oak aged wine than oak barrels - obviously
        they use oak chips and small 2 mm imitation oak 'staves' that are
        placed in the wine itself.
        You only need 5.5 g/l of oak to simulate a 200 l barrel - therefore it
        is economical to buy the oak chips - French or American rather than
        using an unknown product.
        wal
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Home Distiller <home_distiller@...>
        wrote:

        > Ok it's an article about wine aging rather then spirit
        > aging, but it was interesting how they pointed out the
        > technique used to prepare the wood seems to be more
        > important then if it's french or american white oak.
        >
        > http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3488/is_n11_v73/ai_13619651

        > Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer.
        Try it
        > now.
        > http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

      • Home Distiller
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          --- waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote:
          > is economical to buy the oak chips - French or
          > American rather than
          > using an unknown product.

          In the words of a famous Australian "Because it was
          there"

          Don't know if it's a morbid sense of adventure just to
          try different things to see if something will work
          better or plain simple bordem to see what will happen.

        • Home Distiller
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
            --- Home Distiller <home_distiller@...> wrote:

            > Don't know if it's a morbid sense of adventure just
            > to try different things to see if something will
            work
            > better or plain simple bordem to see what will
            > happen.

            Or another way of looking at it, if people didn't mess
            about accidental discoveries wouldn't occur, take
            stainless steel for example, it was a complete
            accident it was found. Last time I checked, we still
            don't know everything about everything :)

            now.
            http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
          • !Zapata Vive!
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
              Of interest to me was this
              Acacia imparts a yellow tint to the wine and is no longer common.
              I believe there are a lot of Acacia's in Australia, just thought I'd throw that out for you Ausies, might be worth experimenting with, or at least researching.

              On Jul 1, 2007, at 11:23 PM, Home Distiller wrote:

              Ok it's an article about wine aging rather then spirit
              aging, but it was interesting how they pointed out the
              technique used to prepare the wood seems to be more
              important then if it's french or american white oak.

              http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3488/is_n11_v73/ai_13619651

              Yahoo! Food

              Cooking tips?

              Whip up something

              tasty today!

              Yahoo! TV

              "The 9"

              Daily count down

              of top Web finds.

              New web site?

              Drive traffic now.

              Get your business

              on Yahoo! search.

              .

            • !Zapata Vive!
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
                There have been a few recent references recently to "Red Devil Lye".  I just wanted to mention that Red Devil no longer makes a pure lye product (NaOH).  They discontinued it a few years ago due it's popularity among illicit drug manufacturers.  But NaOH is also commonly used by many home chemists, ranging from the hobby experimenters to soap making and bio-fuels production.  If you are looking for a replacement for Red Devil, the brand Roebic "crystal drain opener" is sold in many big hardware stores in the US including Lowes and sometimes even Walmart, and it is as pure (or purer even) than Red Devil, and comes in a bigger bottle too.

                Of course NaOH is also rather commonly available online as well, but the convenience of buying locally can't be beat.

                Just wanted to share an alternate source to another ridiculous casualty of prohibition.

                The two most recent references to Red Devil were:
                I pointed you to the process outlined by wiki because it is the
                traditional process. The modern process is in making hominy with
                sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, lye. I use about 40 grams in 12
                liters to do a small batch. I use the brand Red Devil because it is
                pure lye. I heat mine to boiling, add whole corn bring back to a
                boil, turn off heat and then let it set overnight. The next day the
                pericarp and germ will fall off. I usually give it a good rinse and
                most of it comes off with the rinsing. The soft starchy part is
                easily mashed and if you get most of the pericarp and germ off in the
                rinsing you get a pretty clear, non-viscous liquid that ferments real
                good. The germ will usuall filter out really easy if you miss it.
                This process sounds complicated but it yeilds much more convertable
                starch.

                and:
                Some readily available alkaline substances were Red Devil Lye(sodium
                hydroxide) Arm and Hammer Washing soda (sodium carbonate) Arm and
                Hammer Baking Soda( sodium bicarb.) hard wood ashes ( potassium
                carbonate) caustic potash from ashes and calcium hydroxide(potassium
                hydroxide) eggshells (calcium carbonate) and lime (calcium hydroxide)
                and lastly ammonia hydrate(common household ammonia not the anhydrous
                stuff)

              • Home Distiller
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
                  --- !Zapata Vive! <zapatavive@...> wrote:

                  > Of interest to me was this
                  > > Acacia imparts a yellow tint to the wine and is no
                  > longer common.
                  > I believe there are a lot of Acacia's in Australia,
                  > just thought I'd
                  > throw that out for you Ausies, might be worth
                  > experimenting with, or
                  > at least researching.

                  This article towards the bottom mentions that Japanese
                  cedar was used to age sake.

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aging_barrel

                • pint_o_shine
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                    Fortunately in my area it is still available. I just bought some. It
                    is a regional thing as to which is available. The contaminated stuff
                    does indeed have small zinc pellets and some calcium carbonate in it.
                    It is very easy to tell the difference. Ace Hardware is still stocking
                    the pure stuff in my area and it says so on the label. I haven't seen
                    the Roebic brand here yet. Thanks for the tip.

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, !Zapata Vive! <zapatavive@...> wrote:

                    > There have been a few recent references recently to "Red Devil Lye".
                    > I just wanted to mention that Red Devil no longer makes a pure lye
                    > product (NaOH). They discontinued it a few years ago due it's
                    > popularity among illicit drug manufacturers. But NaOH is also
                    > commonly used by many home chemists, ranging from the hobby
                    > experimenters to soap making and bio-fuels production. If you are
                    > looking for a replacement for Red Devil, the brand Roebic "crystal
                    > drain opener" is sold in many big hardware stores in the US including
                    > Lowes and sometimes even Walmart, and it is as pure (or purer even)
                    > than Red Devil, and comes in a bigger bottle too.
                    >
                    > Of course NaOH is also rather commonly available online as well, but
                    > the convenience of buying locally can't be beat.
                    >
                    > Just wanted to share an alternate source to another ridiculous
                    > casualty of prohibition.
                    >
                    > The two most recent references to Red Devil were:
                    > > I pointed you to the process outlined by wiki because it is the
                    > > traditional process. The modern process is in making hominy with
                    > > sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, lye. I use about 40 grams in 12
                    > > liters to do a small batch. I use the brand Red Devil because it is
                    > > pure lye. I heat mine to boiling, add whole corn bring back to a
                    > > boil, turn off heat and then let it set overnight. The next day the
                    > > pericarp and germ will fall off. I usually give it a good rinse and
                    > > most of it comes off with the rinsing. The soft starchy part is
                    > > easily mashed and if you get most of the pericarp and germ off in the
                    > > rinsing you get a pretty clear, non-viscous liquid that ferments real
                    > > good. The germ will usuall filter out really easy if you miss it.
                    > > This process sounds complicated but it yeilds much more convertable
                    > > starch.
                    >
                    > and:
                    > > Some readily available alkaline substances were Red Devil Lye(sodium
                    > > hydroxide) Arm and Hammer Washing soda (sodium carbonate) Arm and
                    > > Hammer Baking Soda( sodium bicarb.) hard wood ashes ( potassium
                    > > carbonate) caustic potash from ashes and calcium hydroxide(potassium
                    > > hydroxide) eggshells (calcium carbonate) and lime (calcium hydroxide)
                    > > and lastly ammonia hydrate(common household ammonia not the anhydrous
                    > > stuff)

                  • Robert Hubble
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                      Hi Pint,

                      In the last year or so Red Devil has become unavailable in our area, but
                      last month I picked up a 20 oz jar of "Glug", a drain cleaner whose sole
                      listed ingredient is sodium hydroxide. Of course, it *may* have been on the
                      shelf for awhile in my small local hardware store, and he may not be able to
                      restock it.

                      No matter, it cleaned the HELL out my bathroom sink drain!

                      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                      http://newlivehotmail.com