Re: [Distillers] GLASS in place of copper scrubbers

  • Home Distiller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
      --- midnighthorseman <lbc471965@...> wrote:

      > i was wondering...i know it gets me in trouble at
      > times..... if using
      > crushed glass would work as well as copper scrubbers
      > or raching rings
      > within a cooper tower....

      The reason copper/ss wool is used is because it has
      lots of surface area, much more then marbles or
      raching rings.

    • Trid
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
        --- midnighthorseman <lbc471965@...> wrote:

        > i was wondering...i know it gets me in trouble at times..... if using
        > crushed glass would work as well as copper scrubbers or raching rings
        > within a cooper tower....i use both the arc tower and a reflux tower.
        > an comments of advice or otherwise would be appreciated....would use a
        > scrubber or two at each end to contain the glass particles in the
        > tower. mr rdy

        In short, yes it will work...as well? No.
        It's virtually impossible to achieve the surface area present in a scrubbie or
        structured mesh in any other material. The added bonus of the copper in the
        scrubbies (as opposed to stainless scrubbies) is the sulfur removing properties
        of the copper material.
        To get an idea of how the different packing materials affect how well your
        column works, check with this calculator:
        http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm#hetp
        It should help keep things in perspective how well the materials you are using
        work. It doesn't mean you *can't* use crushed glass, just that it's probably
        not the best. Also, if your crush is too fine, there's a chance the vapor
        won't make it up through the packing.

        Trid
      • midnighthorseman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "midnighthorseman" <lbc471965@...>
          wrote:

          > i was wondering...i know it gets me in trouble at times..... if
          using
          > crushed glass would work as well as copper scrubbers or raching
          rings
          > within a cooper tower....i use both the arc tower and a reflux
          tower.
          > an comments of advice or otherwise would be appreciated....would use
          > scrubber or two at each end to contain the glass particles in the
          > tower. mr rdy

          thanx for the input guys wasnt sure if i was gaining or not thanx for
          the support and keeping me from less palatable product